Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours.

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After I restart my Windows 10 desktop the Start Menu operates as it should. But after a few hours, the Start Menu stops working. After another reboot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by N7AS, Sep 12, 2016.

1. N7AS Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours.

After I restart my Windows 10 desktop the Start Menu operates as it should. But after a few hours, the Start Menu stops working. After another reboot it works again for another few hours.
    Anyone having this issue. And if so, any idea of how to fix this?

:)

2. Mike HS Win User

Spontaneous sleep and "insomnia" with Windows 10

My sleep mode setting is 1 hour. However, Windows 10 periodically going into sleep mode after a few minutes. The problem goes away for a day or two if I reboot the computer. The problem then come back and the computer goes into sleep mode after a few
    minutes, extremely annoying.

Mike HS, Sep 12, 2016
  3. sfeinst Win User
    Windows 10 Start Menu Disappears

I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I click the start menu, the menu appears, but as soon as I move the mouse, it goes away. So basically, I can't use the menu at all. I tried using the keyboard, but the menu still goes away.

Any suggestions?

sfeinst, Sep 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you checked your event log (Event Viewer) and reliability history (e.g. type reliabi in the search bar) for clues?

Does the same thing happen after
    a. a clean boot
    b. in Safe Mode?

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    As an inveterate minimalist, may I observe that one need type only "reli" in the search bar to get a link to the Reliability Monitor? In Cortana, that shows up as "View reliability history?" but it still takes you where you want to do.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 12, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ha, I just knew it doesn't take the whole word, and couldn't be bothered checking! Besides, I type quickly...

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  7. N7AS Win User
    I guess I will just live with it. Microsoft will not provide a fix as they don't care about their customers.

8. simrick Win User

Hi.
    There's an update that's started rolling out. It addresses Windows Shell, start menu tiles, graphics...it doesn't mention your problem specifically, but it may help.
    Cumulative Update KB3189866 Windows 10 build 14393.187 - Windows 10 Forums

If that doesn't help, you could always try a repair install using an in-place upgrade. That has resolved it for many (including me at one time).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Sep 13, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    (This latest update is huge- maybe 800Mb to over 1Gb. Many are reporting it stuck at x% downloading. Mine's been stuck at 48% all day).

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Yeah, mine is stuck at 50%. May have to grab it manually....or not. *Wink

simrick, Sep 13, 2016
  11. N7AS Win User
  12. dalchina New Member

Hi, no reply to my post #2?

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  13. N7AS Win User
    That did not fix anything. I guess I will live with it for now.

14. dalchina New Member
    It wasn't meant to fix anything, but it does tend to show it's not an effect of an installed program or task schedule, assuming that you left your PC long enough (several hours) in each of those states to demonstrate you still had the problem.

So, I'll ask specifically to be sure..
    Did you leave your PC for several hours in Safe Mode and did you observe the same problem in Safe Mode?

And when you looked at your event log and reliability history, did you or didn't you see anything around the time that you observed the symptom?

Hope you can understand why I have to ask.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu goes away after a few hours. - Similar Threads - Start Menu goes

2. aurora r15 win 11 goes to sleep then after a few hours it tries to update and goes into...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    aurora r15 win 11 goes to sleep then after a few hours it tries to update and goes into...: it was prebuilt from dell i tried them and nvidia they say its an issue with sleep in windows??? idk its annoying i have to mANUAl shut down or i gert the issue? i reinstalled win and gpu multip[le times?the computer works fine while using its just when in sleep mode it ends...
  3. aurora r15 win 11 goes to sleep then after a few hours it tries to update and goes into...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    aurora r15 win 11 goes to sleep then after a few hours it tries to update and goes into...: it was prebuilt from dell i tried them and nvidia they say its an issue with sleep in windows??? idk its annoying i have to mANUAl shut down or i gert the issue? i reinstalled win and gpu multip[le times?the computer works fine while using its just when in sleep mode it ends...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Settings window goes away a few seconds after launching it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Settings window goes away a few seconds after launching it: I have been running Version 21H1 of Windows 10 Pro for quite a while. Recently an update came my way and when I next restarted the machine, I could no longer get the Settings window to open. I also noticed that my Bluetooth connection to an Echo Dot was no longer working for...
  5. Windows 10 Pro Settings window goes away a few seconds after launching it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Settings window goes away a few seconds after launching it: I have been running Version 21H1 of Windows 10 Pro for quite a while. Recently an update came my way and when I next restarted the machine, I could no longer get the Settings window to open. I also noticed that my Bluetooth connection to an Echo Dot was no longer working for...
  6. Windows 10 Pro Settings window goes away a few seconds after launching it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Laptop Windows 10 goes to hibernation after few hours from sleep mode automatically.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop Windows 10 goes to hibernation after few hours from sleep mode automatically.: When I put my PC to sleep, I've noticed that it starts automatically after a few hoursmight be 3,4 or even after 6 hours it's very unpredictable don't know why it happens so randomly even if the lid is closed it starts up and goes to hibernation modei guess cause when I start...
  8. Internet randomly goes away after few minutes - Windows 10 Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet randomly goes away after few minutes - Windows 10 Issue: Hi there, I am having this problem for a long time and my windows drivers are the latest version. Also, Windows 10 Pro 64bit updated to the latest version too. I had this problem since I upgraded to Windows 10, in Windows 7 I had no issues like this. No operating system...
  9. Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu & Cortana Buggy After a Few Hours: → PLEASE VIEW THE IMAGES BELOW TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ← [img] [img] [img] [img] To quickly summarize because I made a similar thread like this... I did a fresh re-install of Windows 10 Pro and upgraded to the Anniversary Update Version 1607 (OS Build...
  10. start menu does not go away

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu does not go away: i click on the start icon and the start menu appears. i click on the tile for the program i want to use and the program opens, but the start menu does not go away (i have to click on it to make it go away). i think it used to disappear when the program opens. am i wrong? is...