Windows 10: Windows 10 Start menu issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Start menu issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all! I have the following problem: My Start button is not working. I have tried for some time to fix it with the help of Dr. Google, but so far I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gelo31415, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Gelo31415 Win User

Windows 10 Start menu issue

Hi all!

I have the following problem: My Start button is not working. I have tried for some time to fix it with the help of Dr. Google, but so far I had no luck. I have tried the following solutions except resetting the system or rolling back to a backup (stupid me forgot to make a roll back point... :-/ ):
    FINALLY SOLVED: Windows 10 Start Button Not Working, Cortana, Edge and Store Not Working - YouTube
    SOLVED: Windows 10 Start Menu and Modern Apps Do Not Function - Up & Running Technologies Calgary

If I log on to the newly created account, the Start menu works as intended, but in my main account, nothing happens when I click on it.

Thanks in advance,
    Oleg.

:)

Gelo31415, Mar 13, 2016

2. Windows 10: Issues with deleting a particular system file and Administrator Problems.

Original Title: Administrator Problems

The issue is quite simple. Ever since migrating to Windows 10, I've been unable to administrate, though I'm supposedly an administrator with "full control." A current example: I've picked up a trojan file in a c:\windows subdirectory. having full control
    of the c:\ directory, I should be able to simply delete the bad file. However, I can't do that because I get the following message:

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file." I've tried all the suggestions here and none of them work. This has been an ongoing issue with this OS since I installed it a year ago. Until now, I haven't needed
    to "administrate" over this directory, and thought that Microsoft would eventually get around to fixing the problem, especially since there have been so many complaints about it. Apparently, Microsoft can't handle it. BTW, Windows 10 sucks. It's apparently
    not built for end users who want to accomplish real work on the computers THEY OWN. Instead it's built for vendors who want to know who you are, where you are and what you're doing, so that they can tailor advertising to you.

Windows 10 Keyboard Issue, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Won't read SD CARD windows 10

Below is the result of following your Step 1. So my issue of Windows 10 not reading the SD is still not resolved. How come the required driver to allow Windows 10 to read the SD in my computer was not installed during the fix?

"There is a problem with the driver for USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller. The driver needs to be reinstalled."

Windows 10 SD issue, Mar 13, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Start menu issue

Hello Gelo31415 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Upgrade to 10 or clean install of 10? like I didn't already know you saw a buggy upgrade most likely! And that will take a fresh Clean Install in order to get straightened out most likely. I have to forewarn about that having been through last summer enough times! *Eek

At first 10 wouldn't even upgrade over the clone of 7 and afterwards a fresh clean install of 7 until reviewing the guide there and discovering I had to unplug the storage drives as well as the original 7 drive I wanted left intact in order to try 10 out! The initial upgrade wouldn't allow anything but games to be installed and saw the Upgrade to Repair method used with the second upgrade over the first during the first week.

And for the second PC? While everything seemed to go well for the second desktop a 7 laptop ended up seeing no Start button and you couldn't open the Start>AllApps section at all. That was to be expected and saw an immediate clean install replacement by then. I waited a week back then to get the second upgrade activated which by then was simply replaced by the first clean install of 10 which is likely what you will end up needing.

Night Hawk, Mar 13, 2016
  5. Gelo31415 Win User
    Thank you for the warm welcome and the swift reply!

So, you think I will need a clean install? Awesome! Don't we all love installing all our programs from scratch and customizing all the settings over and over again? *Tongue

I upgraded Win7 not too long ago and so far only experienced minor issues with Win10. For me, the desktop was fine until now but the upgrade on the laptop was a nightmare...

There is also news on my start menu - last night I could open it, but it was empty and today i am getting an critical error saying "your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in." ...Oh, well... Looks like I really need a clean install... ...Unless someone has further suggestions!

Gelo31415, Mar 14, 2016
  6. There is an alternative to reinstalling all your apps if you want to use it ...

LapLink makes a product known as PC Mover. The Pro version allows you to "migrate" apps from one PC to another or from one OS to another.

What you could do is the following:
    1) Download and install the free version of Macrium Reflect
    2) Run MR and choose the option "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
    3) Do a clean-install using Win10 media
    4) Install LapLink PC Mover Pro
    5) Use the option to restore your apps from the MR image backup. You can install them all or choose individual apps.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Mar 14, 2016
  7. Well the actual problem is not going to be solved by creating an image from a problematic install but simply backing things up from the Program Files, Program Files(x86) if on the 64bit 10, and users folders that will end up being packed up into the Windows.old folder anyways. A clean install will simply bypass any other folders on the drive since those were user or software created.

The upgrade to repair at this time would be shabby simply put and not advised. Once you have 10 up and running with all of the usual programs running good as well that's the time for seeing a full system image backup made to keep onhand in case of need at some point later. Periodic images that update from the first are often the advice as well.

Night Hawk, Mar 15, 2016
  8. sam9 Win User

9. You will note the update to the guide mentions that the problem persists with the July 29th launch of 10 without the date being mentioned which was seen with the 10240 upgrades and still has been at times with newer builds. That comes up mainly when upgrading from 7, 8, or 8.1 not from updating one build to the next it seems while some upgrade by update install have also come out flaky at times.

It's certainly worth a try at least while you may still end up needing to use one of the last resort options especially if other problems appear following any upgrade install.

Night Hawk, Mar 15, 2016
  10. Techtonic Win User
    Click start, type powershell when the command shows up, right click on it, run as an administrator.
    Copy and paste the line below exactly as shown.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

IT fixed mine.

Techtonic, Mar 17, 2016
  11. Hello Techtonic Welcome to the Ten Forums!

That's an interesting observation as far as seeing packages restored manually. That definitely sounds MSDN or TechNet there. In fact that was the precise answer on one TechNet topic regarding the Start menu in 10 not working on the 10240 build last August which is again all too common a problem that was being seen with upgrade installs. Start menu stopped working

In fact that's one of the main reason you might want to point someone considering an update to 10 the guide on how to skip past the need for any buggy upgrade but simply see a nice working clean install of 10 go on right from the start. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start menu issue - Similar Threads - Start menu issue

2. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu issue: Start menu shows only half of the apps. It is the upper part but no apps or anything in the another half. I cant find my other apps and sometimes it will close automatically in my Windows 10. I have not encounter this kind of issue before and I need help. Restarting wont...
  3. Issues with Windows 10 Start menu & settings

Issues with Windows 10 Start menu & settings: Yesterday I started having issues with my windows start menu and settings. I tried several things to fix both issues, but none of the sollutions on here seem to work for me including a driver udpate.When I click the windows icon/press the windows button, the start menu...
  4. Issues with Windows 10 Start menu & settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Windows 10 Start menu & settings: Yesterday I started having issues with my windows start menu and settings. I tried several things to fix both issues, but none of the sollutions on here seem to work for me including a driver udpate.When I click the windows icon/press the windows button, the start menu...
  5. Issues with Windows 10 Start menu & settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 Home Start Menu Issue

Windows 10 Home Start Menu Issue: Greetings Community,Is anyone else experiencing start menu issues since recent windows updates, where when clicking on any start menu tile, the start menu remains open. Before a recent Windows update, don't know which update exactly the start menu was closing just fine when...
  7. Windows 10 Home Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home Start Menu Issue: Greetings Community,Is anyone else experiencing start menu issues since recent windows updates, where when clicking on any start menu tile, the start menu remains open. Before a recent Windows update, don't know which update exactly the start menu was closing just fine when...
  8. Windows 10 Home Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu issue: [ATTACH] So, I reinstalled Windows 10 again, and the tiles are the same color as the Windows color, not the accent color. For example, accent is blue, the tiles are not blue....
  10. Start menu issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu issue: I upgraded from Windows 7 Home. Somewhere along the line a Windows 8 start menu icon ended up on my desktop. I thought I would click on it and see what it did. It changed the start menu to a very cheap looking Windows 7 start menu. I liked the new Windows 10 start menu and...