Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i found another method, which did not work for me, but it may be worth a try for smbdy of you too: taskbar, start menu, cortana not working in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by victor, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

-Great, thanks for this link, this .bat fix totally fixed for me!!

-later . . .

OK, the .bat file referred to above worked for me the first time this happened, but not today.
    But digging again I found something that did the trick for me, and is so easy if you are having this problem-

1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
    2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want it's not important.
    3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. Once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
    4. Once it is restarted you should go to msconfig again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal

-from a genius at "Windows Central Forums" . . . . Thank You!

. . . . time flies by . . . . Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working :)

-Then it is now weeks later and this ugly No-Start/No-Cortana/No-Notifications problem arises again for me, seemingly out of nowhere, though I'm certain it is something I am invoking . . . so I try all of the common and successful past solutions and nothing works a repair.
    Out of ideas and reluctant to do a partition restore back to last week, I ran an old standby, Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    -and YAY!! -Fixed!
    Still unsure where the problem resides, as it was approximately half-way through the 'Repairs' section of the diagnostic that Windows 10 was fixed.
    All for now-

DaveGrant01, Nov 23, 2015

2. Thanks DaveGrant01
    This works to me. Hope forever!

DCaesar

DCaesar100, Feb 6, 2016
  3. abocha Win User
    Thank you so much for this program, it works like a charm! I've had this problem on 2 profiles, reinstalled my system and over time it appeared every time nevertheless. Now I have a tool to solve it again if it ever comes up!
    By the way, it seems that maybe power outages or just emergency shutdowns cause these issues.

abocha, Mar 17, 2016
  4. mdybluz Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

This may help you. Open command prompt as administrator. You can do this by right clicking on command prompt and from the drop down menu choose: "run as administrator". Type in powershell next to the blinking cursor. Wait for blinking cursor to show again copy and paste this :
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If it does not begin to run, hit enter on your keyboard. It may take several minutes to complete.

mdybluz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

1. Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working - Similar Threads - Start Menu metro

2. Icons of Metro apps disappeared from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons of Metro apps disappeared from Start Menu: [ATTACH] I just recovered my Windows and this happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-of-metro-apps-disappeared-from-start-menu/bf0baa33-41c0-46bc-a5f4-b201b2faadad
  3. Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working: I have recently built a PC for gaming and it has been working for a month perfectly fine, but about a week ago, I have started to get the error critical_process_died frequently, and a few days ago, the taskbar stop showing apps and the start menu stopped working, it also...
  4. Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Start Menu & Metro App removal: I used to have the scripts that are listed all over the web within my Win10 deployment and it worked wonderfully. But now, it's not. And i'm not sure why. What's happening is, the metro apps are being removed, but their shortcuts i guess are staying behind. And as for...
  5. Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues: Hi I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me... For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch, metro apps (OneDrive, Tweetium, Money, News etc) would fail to launch (just a blank window up), right mouse clicks...
  6. Start and Metro Apps are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start and Metro Apps are not working: Hello.. I recently installed Windows 10 Home using the iso. It was fine but after sometime, the start and metro apps had stopped working. I thought that re-install would do the trick. So I reformatted C: and installed Windows 10 again hoping it wouldn't come again. But now...
  7. Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar: Hi everyone Some time ago I remember having trouble installing an update to some Metro app on my Windows 10 laptop (running Windows 10 Education with a 64GB SD Card in 24/7, new Metro apps are set to save there). I was finally able to get it to install by clearing the...
  8. Broken Windows 10 Metro Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Windows 10 Metro Icon in Taskbar: I just upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 10 today and found a bug. I have a laptop which I upgraded few days ago and went just fine without having this kind of problem. As the screenshot shows, it incorrectly display Microsoft Edge, Store, and Calculator icon. Any other...
  9. Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu/notification menu/metro apps not opening anymore: I am using Windows 10 for around 2 days now. But today my computer freezed while playing a game, so i restarted my computer and when i logged in, the start menu,notification menu and metro apps would not open anymore. Whats is happening? 10416
  10. Start menu, cortana not at all working, Metro apps return with error

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana not at all working, Metro apps return with error: Ever since 10130 came out I've had this problem where you simply cant access the start menu or Cortana. Running edge or the store returns with an error from explorer.exe claiming that it's an invalid value for the registry. Looking in other places, I found a solution...