Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu Search Is Terrible

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu Search Is Terrible in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I installed Windows 10 very recently and I like it, but I have a VERY BIG show-stopper: when I try to do search in the start menu,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by farzadmf, Aug 15, 2015.

1. farzadmf Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Search Is Terrible

Hello everybody,

I installed Windows 10 very recently and I like it, but I have a VERY BIG show-stopper: when I try to do search in the start menu, it's terrible; it cannot even find an application that I have manually pinned to start. I didn't have any such problem with Windows 8.1. I have also installed some other desktop applications, for example GitHub for Windows, but when I start to to type "Git...", it only finds "GitHub" and it cannot find "Git Shell" and I have to go to all programs, find "G", then expand the folder for this application and run that application... It is VERY annoying. I was wondering if this is a problem I have or anybody else has experienced the same

By the way, another wired problem is that the icon for some application that I have pinned to start aren't being shown and I just see solid square boxes!!!

Thank you

:)

farzadmf, Aug 15, 2015

2. Start Menu not working

I'm not going to reset the new HD because I don't want to have to search for all the drivers again, like i said before... What I'm trying to find out is if there is any reason everything but the start menu and notification would have cloned fine and if anyone
    (microsoft included) has found a reliable solution to the start menu issue. It seems like the answer is no.

Windows 10 is a terrible product and I'll just fund a way to get windows 7 back.

Rob_ert_BC, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Verifex Win User
    Windows 10 search "...results may be incomplete..."

Windows search is now the worst user experience possible now. Here is my experience:

Why won't Windows 10 search find ANYTHING! • r/Windows10

Thankfully I can install classic shell to replace the garbage of the new start menu. Why is it so terrible??

Verifex, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Yep all of the above apart from the search which I deleted as cortana digests a significant part of the CPU usage. If I need to dearch I do it from This PC or God Mode.

5. farzadmf Win User
    I'm not sure what you mean by "God Mode", but if I search from "This PC", it will only search for files, not the applications. I really need the search for applications

farzadmf, Aug 15, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    Turn on Cortana and then it will take over that "search", it will start showing results on your PC and not just on the web.

XweAponX, Aug 15, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    To turn that on, make a new folder on the desktop and name it

Code: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}[/quote] It will put all kinds of great shortcuts in there.

XweAponX, Aug 15, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

I'm a great believer in rely on windows for nothing, do yourself a favour and install rocket dock then send all your apps to your desktop create shortcut and add them to the dock, that will do away with your whole start menu with all of your programs on the top of your desktop.

9. XweAponX Win User
    I've got an thing called HP Quickstart on my Windows 8 machine, it's a little app that runs on the taskbar, when you click on it, it brings up a full Start Menu with all your apps on it. You can probably get it from any HP driver page under "apps"

XweAponX, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Bazz Win User
    I'm sure you have and I hope you enjoy it, now google rocket dock, even my 12 year old can use it so you are probably ok with it although be careful going into your program folders and sending shortcuts to the desktop.

11. XweAponX Win User
    Well not all of use can solve simple problems by using complex tangents like you, so maybe I will.

XweAponX, Aug 15, 2015
  12. Bazz Win User
    Yep proper complex tangent opening C:/Program files

13. XweAponX Win User

Hell, when 8 came out, I just dragged a shortcut to that onto my desktop. Until I installed Start 8. But some of my apps load from /users/(user)/appdata/Local...

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Is Terrible - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  4. windows 10 start menu search bar

in Cortana
    windows 10 start menu search bar: Hello, i recently installed windows 10 on my new computer and have noticed that the search bar doesnt work, whenever I use the search bar it only gets to about 3 letters, freezes then closes after about 10-15 seconds if anyone could explain why this is happening or howIi...
  5. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  6. Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search: Greetings, When I search with the start menu open after the recent major update it opens a new window. This is atrocious and I want the searching to take place inside the start menu. Is this at all possible? Thanks in advance // 139419
  7. Windows 10 - Start menu search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Start menu search: When I search for a folder by typing the name in the start menu, how can I then go to a subfolder without having to open the folder, e.g. I am trying to get to the following file documents/pictures/holidays/summer holiday 2018. I know I can just type on summer holidays...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search: Hi, Search in Windows new start menu is annoying, each time web search using bing results are also shown, which is really unwanted. Using :: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search We can enable the following 3 options to disable...
  9. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...