Windows 10: Windows 10 start menu still freezes

Discus and support Windows 10 start menu still freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I re-upgraded from 7 to 10 yesterday to give this OS another try. Most all of it has gone smoothly except for the start menu won't come up half the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Randyboy99, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Windows 10 start menu still freezes

I re-upgraded from 7 to 10 yesterday to give this OS another try. Most all of it has gone smoothly except for the start menu won't come up half the time. I ran sfc /scannow, no integrity violations. I changed the log in creds and put in a password. The reason being, the only way I could get the start menu to come back was to sign out and re-sign in. Not something I care to do all the time.
    Part 2 to this adventure is when I shut down I am getting a prompt on the screen that says, Task Host/ Microsoft/Windows/Plug and Play/Device install/reboot required. Unless I click on restart anyway, it just sits there waiting for me to do something . I sure hope there is a simple explanation for these hiccups. My OS is win 10 HP/ acer laptop/8943g/ 8gb RAM

:)

Randyboy99, Oct 20, 2017

2. Windows 10 start menu is not open and give me an error code (without a number)

Windows 10 start menu is not open, Cortana and the task bar is freeze.

Windows is update

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu

MirtaRuiz Herrera, Oct 20, 2017
  3. bao007fei Win User
    Windows 10 pro Creator update Start Menu bug

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1703

OS Build: 15063.332

After I synchronized time with an Internet server from the Internet time settings, I opened the start menu and pined a recently added shortcut to the Start. The tile showed in the start menu. But after that, I tried to move the tile, the whole menu freezed
    for a few second and disappeared in a flash. I opened the start menu again, nothing changed. The short cut didn't show in the start menu.

I've tried to reset the and reinstall Windows 10 Pro version 1703 many times, the bug was still there. In the early version of windows 10, I didn't notice the problem. Maybe it's a new bug.

bao007fei, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 start menu still freezes

Brink, Oct 20, 2017
  5. I ran the powershell and it succeeded but unfortunately I still get a frozen start menu until I sign out and sign back in. Why did the upgrade to this have to be so difficult?? I still get the task host shutdown prompt every now and then too. It's like I'm missing a driver or settings. I sure hope there's somewhere to go from here. Thanks My friend...

Randyboy99, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Reinstalled Cortana using the following procedure:

1. Open an elevated PowerShell window, press Win + X keys to open PowerShell.

2. Execute following commands one at time.

Code: Get-Process searchui | Stop-Process –Force Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] 3. Restart your computer.

Use my batch script to automatically close opened programs at shutdown of your computer.

FreeBooter, Oct 20, 2017
  7. Ran everything as ordered and same results. Didn't get the Task Host prompt at restart or shutdown but the start menu still freezes. Like I said before, all I have to do is sign out and restart it and the start menu opens right after log-in. I went to the User accounts, and it says Local Account on top withAdministrator at the bottom. I password protected it so I thought that was enough. Is it because I'm not using a Microsoft account to sync everything? I'm just reaching because I don't know where else to go.

Randyboy99, Oct 20, 2017
  8. Windows 10 start menu still freezes

Start Menu problem nothing to do with your account is Local or Microsoft account.

Boot your computer into Safe Mode and tell us problem persist within Safe Mode.

FreeBooter, Oct 20, 2017
  9. Got it to boot into safe mode. And the start menu open easily. I take it that has to do with my apps?

Randyboy99, Oct 21, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 21, 2017
  11. Run a disk cleanup elevated as admin. You may have patches pending.

OEMonsterz, Oct 21, 2017
  12. exactly how to do that??

Randyboy99, Oct 21, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 21, 2017
  14. Tried it and thought I had the culprit but just ended up back in circles. The fact that I can just sign out instead of a restart or when I restart and the menu comes up is thoroughly baffling me as far as apps go. I'm going nuts. I've never been so stuck on something as I have on this. Would buying a new 10 disk put it in w/o the issues or would it still give me the same problems?

Randyboy99, Oct 21, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I wouldn't buy a new disk. At worse, possibly a clean install of Windows 10.

Brink, Oct 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 start menu still freezes - Similar Threads - start menu still

2. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  3. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  4. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Still cant edit Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Still cant edit Start Menu: I still don't have a choice to edit the Start Menu.Still stuck with a stupid alphabetically list with the folder not on top.I have tried leaving feedback, but issue is still occuring....
  6. Windows 10 20h2 Start Menu Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 20h2 Start Menu Freezes: Hi Community, I have a problem with the Start menu taskbar. All System icons cannot be click and I cannot search using Windows search. Any advice? Regards....
  7. Start Menu Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Freeze: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. No incompatibilities were reported during that process and W10 worked fine on my primary user account. Several days after the install, I went to set up my wife's infrequently used second user. I got there...
  8. Windows 10 Start menu delay / freeze

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Start menu delay / freeze: Hey guys , i noticed that after the last win10 update , my start menu have a big delay sometimes before it opens. i dont really know why. and sometimes its just freeze , and when i keep pressing on the windows icon (on the left side bottom) its just does nothing. i...
  9. Start menu, still messy?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, still messy?!: Any option, to make my start menu a little bit useful? I only have 4 recelty installed apps on the top, the rest of it is full of softwares in aphabetical order *Sad I dont care of those, but there is no option to hide them. SHow me a video, or any instruction, how to...
  10. For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10: Ones who brought you Start8, now bring you Start10. As for me never a bother in Windows 8.1,if interested visit Stardock.com zlsjl4mhbeg 15755

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 freezes on start