Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu stop working

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu stop working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I am using Windows 10, and my start menu stop working for me. I have run the following commend in Powershell. sfc /scannow DISM /Online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MonMon, Jan 19, 2016.

1. MonMon Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu stop working

Hi

I am using Windows 10, and my start menu stop working for me. I have run the following commend in Powershell.
    sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

It fixed the problem temporally, however the problem keep coming back when each time I shut down or restart my laptop.

can you please help me with this issue. I am so frustrated.

:)

MonMon, Jan 19, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Gina_on_the_thread, Jan 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please see my replies to the same issue in this thread (above)
    Resolution To Nonfunctioning Start Button??? - Windows 10 Forums

Unfortunately powershell commands like that have broken universal apps since build 10586 (November), unless MS has fixed this in a recent update.

Do check for 3rd party conflicts, and then do an in-place upgrade install as per that thread.

The in-place upgrade install
    - keeps everything
    - sets system restore off (again!)
    - may lose custom fonts
    - may need you to set up your WiFi connection again
    - may lose an odd association
    - needs subsequent windows updates to be redone

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  5. Hi. Despairing of any other solution I have now done the repair install. However, while I do not get the Critical Error message I still do not get any start menu in my primary user account (However, I do have it in another account I set up).
    Any other ideas?

Lordwanswell, Feb 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, one of the standard solutions suggested is to do what you have done- create a new account.

What I've never yet seen is any one reason why this happens to people.. it's never happened to me.
    I would guess that once (e.g.) some registry corruption has occurred, no generally published fix fixes it.

First make sure that everything works in your new user account (Check Cortana, Settings esp. Privacy), then aim to use it.

I can only suggest you now transfer everything into that account that is in user folders. You will then have to inspect your startups and the desktop programs you have access to, and take appropriate action.

I've not had to do that, so you may wish to search further on that.

Once you have a fully working situation- or better, once you are happy you have a point you can move on from- create your first disk image. (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage medium).

Thus you can always restore your PC from that image.
    Update your image at key points and regularly thereafter as you get things set up.

Disk imaging is offers security, peace of mind, the ability to restore a working situation without tech help.
    Good luck

dalchina, Feb 10, 2016
  7. wruffne3 Win User
    I am experiencing a similar problem but with a twist. I have a perfectly fine user account were everything works the way it should, and now two separate user account in which the start menu ,cortana, and search are unavailable.
    I started with just one nonfunctional user account and after trying all the suggestions in the forum i gave up and created a third user account which operated fine for about two weeks and then lost the aforementioned functionalities.

wruffne3, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu stop working - Similar Threads - Start Menu stop

2. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  3. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10's Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10's Start Menu stop working: Problem Menu don't appear when clicking icons on start menu such as wifi icon, speaker icon and start icon which look like a window logo. This problem occur when using the computer and I have to restart the computer to fixed it. I don't like my current solution because i...
  7. Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909: The start menu has stopped working, when I click on the start button it makes the search box disappear and the menu doesn't open. Restarting my computer fixes it for a little bit but then goes back to not working again....
  8. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  9. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working: Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with fall update. I did fall update last week when it downloaded and no problems until now. Weird. Any help please. 97287