Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu stops working until re-login

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu stops working until re-login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have read many posts about the Windows 10 start menu not working, but they all seem to be chronic failures. In my case, the failure is present until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mbratch, Apr 24, 2016.

1. mbratch Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu stops working until re-login

I have read many posts about the Windows 10 start menu not working, but they all seem to be chronic failures. In my case, the failure is present until I re-login, then it's OK for a short time.

I have a Lenovo T510 laptop running Windows 10 Pro. This is an upgrade from Windows 7 Professional.

After using the system for awhile (I'm not sure how long a while is required), my Windows 10 start menu simply stops working and ignore mouse clicks. Seemingly coincident with this, when I hover over the icon on the task bar of an active program and the little preview pops up, the popup will persist until I click on it. It won't go away if I simply click off of it. But my biggest problem is the start menu. For these problems, if I log out then log back in again, they're back to normal for "a while"...

I did do the obligatory "sfc / scannow" but it turned up no errors.

:)

mbratch, Apr 24, 2016
  2. Markoluk Win User

Can't download apps from the Microsoft store

I have had significant problems with Windows 10:

The
    Windows 10 start menu stopped working
    3 times

Since that time I have stopped Logging in using the Microsoft account (and therefore OneDrive - I favour Dropbox anyway) and the problem has not re-occurred. Can I assume then that the Microsoft login (off-machine account details) corrupts my installation
    in some way?

Now I'm finding that I cannot download any applications from the Microsoft store. I assume it's because I'm not using a Microsoft account (even though I can login with Live)

I have seen other posts about clearing the store cache, to no avail.

Microsoft own goal?

Markoluk, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Why doesn't Microsoft Edge and Start Window work in Guest User Login

I've upgraded Windows 10 on the Guest User login screen but Microsoft Edge and start menu will not work when I click on either of them. Microsoft Edge stays blue and the start menu just won't start.

I thought that Windows 10 would upgrade from the Administrator side, I didn't realise I had to finish the upgrade on the Guest User login so there was a 3 day delay until I logged on today and realised.

How do I solve this?

Teena Marie, Apr 24, 2016
  4. cowbawx Win User

Turn OFF Fast Startup:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Let me know if that works.

cowbawx, Apr 24, 2016
  5. mbratch Win User
    mbratch, Apr 24, 2016
  6. cowbawx Win User
    Ok.... Unsure honestly what it could be. Too many variables... I.e. Brand and model pc, components and programs installed etc.... I had this problem and fast start up being disabled fixed it....

cowbawx, Apr 24, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Use this tutorial and do a Repair Install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

If you find the tutorial a bit complex, don't hesitate to post back for clarification.
    It's better to be sure than to guess what it means.

davidhk, Apr 24, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu stops working until re-login

anyone found a solution to this? I have had the problem a couple of years and it seems to be getting worse. Symptons are identical to original post. I have tried everything but have to log off and on again to get it working which is a pain.

dereknewark, Oct 3, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, let's go thru the usual basic steps:
    1. Do you see the same thing in Safe Mode?
    (= is there some conflict with sthg installed?)
    2. What happens if you create a new user for test purposes? Do you see the same behaviour?
    (= is there a problem with your user profile?)

What is your Windows build?
    (Windows key + R, winver)

- so presumably that's with different Windows builds, is it? (1511, 1607, 1703....)

dalchina, Oct 3, 2017
  10. The problem is it is intermiitent. I could be working happily all day then suddenly I lose my start menu. So booting into safe mode is no good. I have just discovered that 1703 has been failing to install so I will fix that and see how it goes over the next few days.

dereknewark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu stops working until re-login - Similar Threads - Start Menu stops

2. Windows 10 start menu button stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu button stopped working: It suddenly stopped working, the windows key in my Keyboard doesn't do anything either. Is there a way to fix this or should I just wait for a Windows update for it to fix itself? submitted by /u/BenZ_osu [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows 10's Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10's Start Menu stop working: Problem Menu don't appear when clicking icons on start menu such as wifi icon, speaker icon and start icon which look like a window logo. This problem occur when using the computer and I have to restart the computer to fixed it. I don't like my current solution because i...
  4. Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909

Start Menu stopped working Windows 10 1909: The start menu has stopped working, when I click on the start button it makes the search box disappear and the menu doesn't open. Restarting my computer fixes it for a little bit but then goes back to not working again....
  5. Re-install Windows 10 start menu

Re-install Windows 10 start menu: I want to revert to using the Windows 10 start menu. I am currently using the 'classic' start menu since I originally installed Win 8/Win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-install-windows-10-start-menu/47602165-3d4c-47e6-9c0f-2315a45926e1
  6. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  7. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working: Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with fall update. I did fall update last week when it downloaded and no problems until now. Weird. Any help please. 97287
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stop working: Hi I am using Windows 10, and my start menu stop working for me. I have run the following commend in Powershell. sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  10. Start menu not working until reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working until reboot: Hello all, I occasionally (but frequently enough that it is noticeable) get an unresponsive start menu. When this happens Win+P for display switching also does not work. The start menu starts working after a reboot and only after a reboot. Obviously this gets annoying...