Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu will not work

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu will not work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe Problem signature Problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jhardy82, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Jhardy82 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu will not work

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.17134.112_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Application Name: praid:App
    Application Version: 10.0.17134.1
    Application Timestamp: 5ace103a
    Fault Module Name: combase.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.112
    Fault Module Timestamp: fad18dc5
    Exception Code: 80070005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000010de0
    OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 13aa
    Additional Information 2: 13aaa9b8463aa822c6d5e34c93f3824c
    Additional Information 3: 86ab
    Additional Information 4: 86ab5d0276a304c29cde71e1a96bff5d

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 5473896db9edda6759332a03494c2a10 (1815841268363438608)

------------------------------

This is my home machine and any Windows updates have been installed automatically by Windows. The error shows a new entry in the reliability monitor every time I click the start menu. Win+X and Right-Clicking the start menu both work and show in the correct area.

I have tried the following fixes:

• SFC.exe /scannow
    • Using the following command in windows powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Using the following command in windows poweshell

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |%{add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($._installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
    • Using the following command in windows powershell

Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperiencehost* -packagetype bundle |%{add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($._installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}
    • Verifying permissions in DCOM and key app folders
    • Checking registry entries and adding a registry entry to enalbe XAML start menu
    • Restarting multiple times
    • Using a newly created non-administrator local account

:)

Jhardy82, Aug 11, 2018
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Aug 11, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Aug 11, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu will not work

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Start Menu will not work

1. Windows 10 Start Menu will not work - Similar Threads - Start Menu

2. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.: When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second. Also ctrC ctrV combination instead of its normal function started printing screen instead, what setting is changing that? On the top of that it seems to me that general performance of PC...
  3. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.: When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second. Also ctrC ctrV combination instead of its normal function started printing screen instead, what setting is changing that? On the top of that it seems to me that general performance of PC...
  4. When I press windows key start menu doesn’t open and all screen gets darker for a second.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Are there known compatibility issues with WS_EX_TOPMOST and Windows 11’s Start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are there known compatibility issues with WS_EX_TOPMOST and Windows 11’s Start menu?: Title: Issue with WS_EX_TOPMOST in .NET App on Windows 11 not Overlapping Start Menu.Body: Hello, I’ve developed an application using the .NET Framework that applies the WS_EX_TOPMOST window style to create a watermark overlay. This overlay remains on top of all other windows...
  6. Are there known compatibility issues with WS_EX_TOPMOST and Windows 11’s Start menu?

Are there known compatibility issues with WS_EX_TOPMOST and Windows 11’s Start menu?: Title: Issue with WS_EX_TOPMOST in .NET App on Windows 11 not Overlapping Start Menu.Body: Hello, I’ve developed an application using the .NET Framework that applies the WS_EX_TOPMOST window style to create a watermark overlay. This overlay remains on top of all other windows...
  7. System apps missing from Start Menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System apps missing from Start Menu Windows 10: So all of a sudden, certain system apps have disappeared from my start menu. I type their names in the search and I get a "no results found."Examples:- Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions- Device Manager- Default Apps- etcI can still launch them if I go and find them...
  8. System apps missing from Start Menu Windows 10

System apps missing from Start Menu Windows 10: So all of a sudden, certain system apps have disappeared from my start menu. I type their names in the search and I get a "no results found."Examples:- Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions- Device Manager- Default Apps- etcI can still launch them if I go and find them...
  9. System apps missing from Start Menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Uh how do I fix the critical error related to menu start?

Uh how do I fix the critical error related to menu start?: It only occurs on my administrator account and both commands like dism or sfc/scannow are unable to fix it. also I got error 87 and can't grant administrator access uh intended way without using cmd due to window immedietly closing....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Rules\BootstrapRules.xml

2. microsoft.windows.shellexperiencehost_10.0.17134.112

3. Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe version: 10.0.17134.1