Windows 10: Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work

Discus and support Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I would like to apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have encountered several issues with Windows 10, but I cannot figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SeaTurtleCharm, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work

I would like to apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have encountered several issues with Windows 10, but I cannot figure out how to resolve the latest problem.

Specs:
    Processor: AMD FX-6300
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 2GB
    Hard Drive: 1TB WD Blue

Current Issue:
    I have had one issue after another since upgrading to Windows 10. My latest issue involves the computer booting up properly, but once I log into my desktop nothing works. Clicking on the Start Menu is futile as the cursor just spins around for a few minutes before it stops and nothing happens. Most of my icons on the bottom have disappeared, but some of them will slowly return if the computer has been on for at least 10 minutes or so, but clicking on them when they do show up does not work. Clicking on Firefox and Chrome does absolutely nothing. I tried to open the Task Bar, but when I do so it says "There are no running apps." I saw something about pressing the Windows button + R to bring up the Run dialog box on this website www.bidnessetc.com. That works, but it is suggested to search Powershell and Powershell will not load for me to try what is recommended next. I pressed the Windows + R button again to search for "Control Panel" but I just get blue text that says "Adjust your computer's settings." With the Start Menu not working and not being able to find Control Panel, I don't know how to determine if the cause of current issues is an update or not.

I tried to do a system restore, but it did not work this last time. The restore date was 8/21 and description said Microsoft Visual C ++ 2012 Redistribute (x64). I got an error saying
    I hope someone can figure out what is wrong and what I can do to resolve the issue this time around. I would love a permanent fix, but I am hoping that it does not come down to a fresh install of Windows 10. I have had a lot of other issues with Windows 10 in the past few weeks, but this is the first one that involves me being able to boot properly and nothing working once the Desktop loads. Below, I am going to share previous issues I have encountered in case things are related with one another in some way.

My Previous Issues:
    1st Issue:
    My first issue involved a reboot loop which I believe was due to the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424). I did a System Restore and that resolved issues for about a week.

2nd Issue:
    Blue screen when I turned on computer.
    I tried to repair it, but had issues at first. It said "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" and then I got Log file:
    System Restore resolved the issue, but not before it checked for Error on Local Disk C: and repaired the drive.

Third Issue:
    Similar to the second issue. I got Logfile with C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt again and repaired it.

:)

SeaTurtleCharm, Aug 25, 2015
  2. DaddyHo Win User

Windows 10, Microsoft Start button not working, Unable to right click icons on task bar

I have just installed Windows 10 from Windows 7

I find that right-clicking on the Task Bar worked for about 5 seconds when I boot up, but then right-clicking on the task bar does nothing after that.

But when I left click on the Start Menu, the Start Menu pops up as well as the right-click menu from the last icon I right-clicked on on the Task Bar.

DaddyHo, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 start menu has changed

I deleted the startup 8 menu and my windows 10 start up menu returned. I took a chance and it worked. Hope everyone has the same good luck.

I still don't have a Windows Edge icon in the task bar. Would appreciate any help with this matter.

JCooper615, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work

1. Windows 10 - Start Up Menu, Task Bar, and Icons Don't Work - Similar Threads - Start Menu Task

2. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  3. Start menu and task bar doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu and task bar doesn't work: I get the same problem over and over again. Installed windows again and after a while the same problem. Start menu daoesn't work or anything on taskbar. Also copy paste stops to work. I am really sick of this. Installing windows over again. StartMenuExperienceHost.exe...
  4. Task bar and start menu not working on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task bar and start menu not working on startup: There is this annoying issue where anytime I power on my PC it takes a couple seconds longer than usual to boot up and the taskbar and start menu just wont work. There is a blue icon spinning and when clicking the taskbar my screen flashes and nothing happens. I have to shut...
  5. TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    TASK BAR AND START MENU BUTTON NOT WORKING: Don't know what I did, but a few weeks ago: 1 task bar buttons nonresponsive 2 windows start icon nonresponsive 3 start to work and some programs have been closed, i.e. Quickbooks...
  6. Cortana/start menu/task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana/start menu/task bar not working: Cortana or the searchui process are not in my task manager, so I ran a sfc /scannow. I have no idea how to tell what it's saying in the log, but I can see it found some corrupted files. I was going to attach it but the size limit is 2mb, and my log is 8mb. What should I do?...
  7. Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working: Hello, I got a new lenovo idea centre and it worked find the first day, then on the 2nd day the start menu wouldn't open, the task bar does not work and things like the control panel do not open! I keep getting the error C:\\windows\system32\ptionalfeatures.exe. This...
  8. Windows start menu not working and no task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows start menu not working and no task bar: i turn on my laptop Windows 10 it does not ask me to sign in the desktop comes up with nothing on the task bar except for speaker Internet etc no browser option if I click on anything it does not work also the Windows sta button or cortana does not work if I click on it. I...
  9. my task bar & start menu don't work

my task bar & start menu don't work: For the past week my start menu & task bar won't work why could that be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-task-bar-start-menu-dont-work/3fe8ad4f-67a8-4d02-9e8b-2dbfcf13c7b7
  10. Start menu button and task bar not working

Start menu button and task bar not working: Start menu won't function and all pinned apps have disappeared from task bar. On my task manager it shows 99 Windows processes operating but no IE or Windows icon on task manager. I was shopping on Amazon after an update yesterday when I believe I encountered malware. Help...