Windows 10: Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine

Discus and support Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Professional. When I restart the pc the pc boots up fine. However after a complete shutdown I loose display on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by swaraj, Aug 22, 2015.

1. swaraj Win User

Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Professional. When I restart the pc the pc boots up fine. However after a complete shutdown I loose display on the screen immediately after Windows Logo display. Then on pressing the power button once the pc shuts down. Then when I boot the pc from usb or cd and click on 'Startup repair' it says cannot repair startup. But if I select 'Exit and continue to Windows' it boots normally. This happened even when i tried to clean install. Any help will be appreciated.

:)

swaraj, Aug 22, 2015

2. HP Pavilion dv7-2110sa with clean Windows 10 freezes on startup if fast startup is enabled or if laptop is hibernated

My HP Pavilion dv7-2110sa has been upgraded to Windows 10 Home Version 1709 (OS build 16299.19). I have upgraded the hard disk with an OCZ Vertex4 SSD. The laptop has an AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-74 CPU and ATI Radeon HD 4500 Series graphics card.

Every time the PC is shut down (with fast startup enabled) it freezes on boot up just after the rotating dots appear. The dots freeze and you have to press and hold the power button to force a hard shutdown. On restart it will boot up fine but next time
    I do a full shutdown it will freeze on startup again. If I hibernate the Laptop the same thing happens. However if I perform a restart instead of a shutdown, it will restart perfectly fine.

If I disable fast startup in the power options the PC shuts down and starts up fine. So it is clearly a problem with the hibernate function (which is used by Windows fast startup).

I could just live without the hibernate or fast startup function but I would prefer to have these options available to me. Many others have reported the same problem but I have found no solutions (other than to disable fast startup).

Can anyone help with a solution please? Thanks in advance!

GeordieHOG, Aug 22, 2015
  3. callytex Win User
    Restarting after Windows 10 Upgrades

Thanks for responding. After the update prior to yesterday's, I did as you suggested in steps 1 - 10 above. It did not correct the problem. After yesterday's Windows 10 update (10/27), I chose
    shutdown and not restart after update. After Windows updated and my laptop shutdown, I tried to start it. It "churned" for more than 20 minutes after which I turned it off and restarted it in safe mode-networking (F-12 key; F8 didn't work).
    After it started, I proceeded to following your instructions for "Startup Repair," to perform an automatic repair. The repair process started but I eventually got a response that "Startup Repair couldn't repair my PC." So, unfortunately
    I still have a restart problem after Windows 10 updates.

callytex, Aug 22, 2015
  4. swaraj Win User

I have sorted this one. I swapped dvi connection to vga connection and windows now work perfectly. I however wonder why it works fine with Windows 7 but not 10.

swaraj, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Startup problem after shutdown but restart is fine - Similar Threads - Startup problem shutdown

2. Windows 10 Restarts after Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Restarts after Shutdown: Like many others for the last few months I have been suffering from the restart problem.I have tried all of the suggestions on here but none of them worked.The problem is intermittant, sometimes it will shutdown and stay off, then for no reason that I could find the restart...
  3. Windows 10 Restarts after Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Restarts after Shutdown: Like many others for the last few months I have been suffering from the restart problem.I have tried all of the suggestions on here but none of them worked.The problem is intermittant, sometimes it will shutdown and stay off, then for no reason that I could find the restart...
  4. Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart: Hello,after windows 11 installation, after couple of weeks im experiencing the blue screen issue whenever i open my pc for the first time within a day.After restart its working fine.I run windows memory check and it was fine.What is causing this issue?...
  5. Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart: Hello,after windows 11 installation, after couple of weeks im experiencing the blue screen issue whenever i open my pc for the first time within a day.After restart its working fine.I run windows memory check and it was fine.What is causing this issue?...
  6. Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen on Cold Startup; Fine After Restart: Our church has had the following computer for a bit over a year now:https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-ala196/p/N82E16883102947We use it to run our livestream. It runs a worship software called Easy Worship as well as vMix and a PTZ camera controller application...
  7. Blue Screen on Startup; Fine After Restart

Blue Screen on Startup; Fine After Restart: I am the tech guru at my local church, but unfortunately hardware issues are not my particular forte. Our main computer that we use for running the in-house PowerPoint as well as the broadcasted live stream has been having a problem for several months. Basically, each week it...
  8. Shutdown and Restart Problems after Windows 10 Crash

Shutdown and Restart Problems after Windows 10 Crash: Recently on my Dell E5550 Laptop, Windows 10 froze and after a hard reset it was in a Windows needs to repair itself/Windows can't repair itself loop. I attempted to restore to an automatic restore point I think there was a Windows update. It went through the motions and...
  9. Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine

Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine: Hello. I have HP EliteBook 8470p laptop. I recently replaced SSD in the laptop with larger one - 1TB Samsung QVO 860 Laptop has 3rd gen Core i5 2.80GHz CPU, 16GB of RAM and AMD 7550 videocard. Before reinstall, BIOS in laptop was updated to latest version. There were no...
  10. Shutdown/startup problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown/startup problem: I have kind of a weird problem that went back to the Windows 8 days as well When I shutdown from my desktop, I have no problems when I start up again. (I'm the administrator if that makes a difference). When my wife shuts down from her desktop and I try to start up...