Windows 10: Windows 10 string text search problem

Discus and support Windows 10 string text search problem in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently updated from 8.1 to 10 and discovered that windows stopped searching inside odt files, in content. It only search in file names. Earlier in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zolw, Aug 18, 2015.

1. zolw Win User

Windows 10 string text search problem

I recently updated from 8.1 to 10 and discovered that windows stopped searching inside odt files, in content. It only search in file names. Earlier in 8.1 it worked perfectly fine.

I tried to: rebuild index, made sure folder is indexed (it is, searching inside doc or rtf works fine in same folder), reinstall open office, install MS Filters (it crushed whole windows search as it not compatible). Nothing helped.

Official Open Office forums users have no clue, they say its working for them.

:)

2. Matt_316 Win User

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, Aug 18, 2015
  3. cannot enter text

everytime i need to enter text into password or email or google search i get a string of xxxxxxx appearing. i cant type anything. ive reloaded windows 10 3 times and still get problem

RichardFaureField, Aug 18, 2015
  4. hiphopper Win User

You went to File Explorer Options->Search Tab and make sure "Always search file names and contents" Is selected? As well as the "Include compressed files" option?

My best guess. However, I don't use Open Office anymore, so can't help if it something specific there.

hiphopper, Aug 19, 2015
  5. zolw Win User
    It was first thing i checked. I ran thru all options related to searching... Tried to google problem couple of times, i guess im only one with such issue :/

EDIT: Suddenly problem solved itself today. I didn't do anything and windows fixed it for itself and now i can search inside odt. My guess it was solved in one of latest updates. Or it was Cortana...

Thanks anyway!

zolw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 string text search problem - Similar Threads - string text search

2. Control Key Usage for Text String

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Key Usage for Text String: To set up a custom keyboard shortcut on Windows 11, please follow the steps below:> Open the Start menu and select the Settings app.> Click on the Time & language tab.> Select the Language & region navigation option.> Click the … button for your basic typing pack listed in...
  3. Control Key Usage for Text String

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Key Usage for Text String: To set up a custom keyboard shortcut on Windows 11, please follow the steps below:> Open the Start menu and select the Settings app.> Click on the Time & language tab.> Select the Language & region navigation option.> Click the … button for your basic typing pack listed in...
  4. Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer

in Cortana
    Searching for exact strings with Windows Explorer: This used to work really well for me until an update and now new computer. It hasn't worked well since, but now it's not working at all. I thought it used to work by putting a single quote around the string for which I wanted to search. I have a folder with Word files....
  5. Windows 10 update created a string of problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update created a string of problems: Summary: - On 11/12/20, Windows 10 was supposed to update and shut down the desktop during the night. I awoke to a dark screen with a continuous looping wheel. Unable to login. - MS support technician helped me get into the computer. He informed me that he reinstalled...
  6. Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!

Multi String Search - Search Multiple Strings At Same Time!: Hi guys, Just to share with you "Multi String Search", a portable tool that allows multiple strings to be searched at same time. Multi String Search (Web Page) [img] 166155
  7. Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for duplicate text strings in File Explorer - Windows 10: I've several external data drives with many, many files and directories. Many files are duplicated and I would like to eliminate the duplicates. The syntax for the duplicates is, for example: "file name n.docx" where n is a number, usually 1, 2 or 3. Using the community...
  8. searching for a specific string in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    searching for a specific string in File Explorer: I used to have lots of MP3 files on my network drive that began with "01)." or "02)." etc. I have converted most of them to begin "01" or "02" etc. but now I would like to do a search or "01)." to find any I may have missed but when I search for that it gives me all...
  9. Looking for a Text to string application

Looking for a Text to string application: Hello I'm looking for an application or a web site that I will use to record good quality mp3 file from a string. Type a text and the output is a spoken mp3 file I was using few years ago AT&T application, but this site is down now Martin 26503
  10. Searching for documents with a specific text string

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for documents with a specific text string: In WinXP it was possible to search for documents that have a specific text string (meaning a phrase or a word) WITHIN them. In other words, you type in some word or phrase and the "find" function in XP turns up all the documents that contain it. Is it possible to do...