Windows 10: windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Discus and support windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have followed several similar threads and their fixes for this problem with no result. After downloading the Win 10 upgrade, my system then said... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cocobna, Aug 2, 2015.

1. cocobna Win User

windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

I have followed several similar threads and their fixes for this problem with no result. After downloading the Win 10 upgrade, my system then said "loading updates". Then it restarted with a blue login screen saying "Welcome Back!" And a box to enter my password. The cursor is blinking in the box, but neither my mouse or keyboard works.
    I have hard booted several times since the ctrl+alt+delete does not work. I am also not able to access safe mode as none of the "F" keys work during boot up.
    I have tried the following:
    1. Unplugged all USB devices except keyboard.
    2. Turning off internet at the router.
    I have a Dell desktop, and upgraded from Windows 7, with a Netgear router/modem.
    I do NOT have an animated avitar, as someone else mentioned in the forum.
    The only way I can get the system to move is if I power off at the main switch after booting up which goes into bios and disc diagnostics, but I don't know enough about computers to know what to do there! HELP PLEASE! My computer is useless now!

:)

cocobna, Aug 2, 2015
  2. JJnSK Win User

USB Mouse and Keyboard stop working

Neither my mouse nor my keyboard are working at the Windows 10 Login Screen. I've had Windows 10 installed for months and been using the computer every day with no problems with the mouse or keyboard. Then today I booted up the computer and it's stuck
    at the Login Screen with no response from the mouse or keyboard. I have unplugged both the mouse and keyboard and installed them in another computer and they work fine. I have rebooted without them installed and then plugged them in once the Login Screen
    appears and Windows recognizes the new hardware and says the drivers are installed, but they still don't work. I have plugged them into different USB ports on the desktop and they still don't work. I have tried rebooting and pressing F4, F8 and F11 (actually
    I've done this several times and pressed a different F-key each time, but it still just boots up to the Login Screen) and won't take me to the Safe Mode option.

What else am I missing?

Thanks.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Hello, lock screen & sign-in

Original title: Windows 10 Login Screen - Mouse and Keyboard not working

JJnSK, Aug 2, 2015
  3. XDCash Win User
    Windows 10 Login Screen - Not recognizes any keyboard and mouse

Windows 10 Login Screen not recognizes to ANY keyboard and mouse (both wired and wireless) but when power up to start up and the keyboard is working fine before login screen.

BUT - I am able to enter BIOS (keyboard working fine) and Acer Recovery Program (pressed by ALT + F10) and both keyboard and mouse working fine.

ONLY Login Screen not working where I have to type in password to unlock screen, however the keyboard’s number lock light went off when got on that screen, before that - it was light on while I am on BIOS and Recovery Program.

This not even make sense.

However, I tried those list.

• System restore (failed third times).
    • Refresh PC (failed).
    • Startup Repair (failed).
    • Tried go on safe mode but keyboard and mouse not recognizing.
    • I tried unplug both usb and restart without it until login screen open and reconnect both keyboard and mouse, still not recognizing.

I tried everything, seem nothing work at the login screen.

Any advice?

XDCash, Aug 2, 2015
  4. cocobna Win User

Booted up again and let it run for several hours. I noticed some flashing under the power button like it was processing info, but it stopped after about 20 mins. Still frozen at login page. Help Please!

cocobna, Aug 3, 2015
  5. cocobna Win User
    I'm amazed no one has responded to my inquiry yet! Doesn't anyone have any ideas on how to help me???

cocobna, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Shodan86 Win User
    I'm also having the same exact problem!
    As I've checked several different Web sites, it seems that many people are experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately, no one seems to have a solution.

Shodan86, Aug 4, 2015
  7. cocobna Win User
    I've seen variations on this problem, but usually they are able to get to safe mode! I can't believe Microsoft released such an unstable product!! I need my computer back!!

cocobna, Aug 4, 2015
  8. KACI Win User

After upgrading my pc the keyboard was not detected either. All I did was unplug it and plug it back in so that Windows could redetect it. It's worked ever since. It detected my mouse just fine, but you might try it for that as well.

KACI, Aug 4, 2015
  9. cocobna Win User
    I have unplugged the mouse several times, but if it might help, I'll try the keyboard as well! Otherwise...Bill Gates will have to send me a new computer!!

cocobna, Aug 5, 2015
  10. AveYo Win User
    This issue affects mainly cheap motherboards and/or peripherals with improper support for legacy usb (bios-provided drivers for usb mouse and keyboard)

The best bet is to use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse or a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to pass the installation phase. Afterwards, your hardware will work again.

Otherwise, there is not much to do. You might even lock yourself out of bios and boot menu if you toggle legacy usb off/on

AveYo, Aug 5, 2015
  11. KACI Win User
    AveYo's recommendation is right. I always keep an old ps2 keyboard around. Even for my system, which is pretty up to date, the bios doesn't recognize a usb keyboard. As was mentioned you can get an adapter that should work as well. Good way to free up a usb port as well.

12. cocobna Win User
    I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but I'm not understanding what you mean about a "ps2" keyboard. I have a Dell desktop with a wired keyboard. When I unplugged bith the wired keyboard and wireless mouse prior to booting up, I first got a black screen that said "keyboard failure ". When I plugged everything back in after booting up, it was still not recognized. I also tried using a new wireless USB keyboard, but got the same result: still frozen on the login screen! What can I do now? Since it doesn't recognize the mouse nor keyboard, I can't boot into safe mode!!

cocobna, Aug 6, 2015
  13. KACI Win User

A ps2 keyboard or mouse will have a round plug as opposed to the flat one that a usb has. Usually the computer will have two ports dedicated to that type of connector. Often they are color coded purple and green. At this point I don't think a wireless is your best choice. As mentioned if you don't have a ps2 connector on your keyboard, you can get an adapter that allows you to plug in a usb connector into a ps2 port. When all else fails, sometimes its best to take it to a local computer repair shop. They would have some of the "tools" necessary to help you out.

14. cocobna Win User
    Thanks for that explanation! I have ordered a PS2 adapter from EBay, and hope that will correct the problem. If not, you mentioned trying to have the system repaired by a "professional". I have been burned many times in the past by so-called repair services that did nothing more than charge a hefty fee. Since Windows 10 is so new, any suggestions on how to find a reputable
    Computer repair service?

cocobna, Aug 10, 2015
  15. KACI Win User
    Finding a reputable anything these days is problematic. Word of mouth is usually the best approach, if you know someone that's used a given business in the past. Sounds like you might have an idea of who not to use. Best Buy and the like all have mixed reviews and it will depend on the quality of techs they have at any given store. Let's hope your adapter works. Let us know.

Thema:

1. windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard - Similar Threads - stuck login screen

2. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond: my desktop PC had been restarted after an normal update for my AMD program. Now my PC is stuck on the login screen and the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I cannot get into windows at all, I cannot access anything on the login screen. I tried rebooting, it did not fix...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on Login Screen - Keyboard and mouse will not respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  6. Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 login screen.: After the latest windows 10 update my keyboard and mouse are no longer working. This makes me unable to type in my password at the windows login screen. When I boot to BIOS the mouse and keyboard are working, and if I boot to the windows troubleshoot screen they work as well....
  7. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  8. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.: Hey i want to know how to remove on screen keyboard ? I already unchecked the on screen keyboard option from ease to access center.Please Help me.It only appears in log in screen....
  9. On screen keyboard Stuck in Login Screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on Windows screen, no mouse or keyboard: So it's on my computer and it kept kicking me off of Google Chrome and a message would appear stating to close apps, restart, shut down, etc.. It was like a drop down menu. it was almost like my keyboard was pressing several keys at a time without me touching it. I hit cancel...