Windows 10: Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup

Discus and support Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded Alienware Aurora Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything was going fine. Then one day my computer restarted by itself (I didn't see but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abeall, Sep 30, 2016.

1. abeall Win User

Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup

I upgraded Alienware Aurora Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything was going fine.

Then one day my computer restarted by itself (I didn't see but I assume it was installing an update) and afterwards it will not boot up. Every time I try to boot I see the Alienware screen, then the Windows logo with spinning dots, then it goes to a black screen with spinning dots and never goes any further.

Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL or F8 or F4 does nothing.

I tried creating a USB boot drive in Boot Camp Assistant with a Windows 10 .iso that Microscoft support sent me a link to, but I still never get to a useful boot screen, it always gets stuck on the white dots.

I tried entering BIOS and changed the boot order from [1: RAID, 2: CD, 3: Flash] to [1: Flash, 2: CD, 3: RAID] but during boot it just says "CD priority boot... boot ready..." for a bit, then the same old spinning dots forever. I'm not sure if the USB boot disk created from Boot Camp Assistant is correct?

I've been on with Microsoft tech support 3 times and they basically have given up. They want me to take it into a shop.

Is there anything else I can try?

:)

abeall, Sep 30, 2016
  2. Kathy D. Win User

Windows 10 install stuck

During my install I seem to be stuck after a reboot on the Windows Logo and spinning dots - but its frozen with only 2 dots. After a shutdown restart it does the same thing.. Any ideas?

Kathy D., Sep 30, 2016
  3. Just spinning dots?

Windows 10 was working fine........restarted and stuck with spinning dots. I tried restarting with shift, F8 and still the same spinning dots.

BarryMeskin, Sep 30, 2016
  4. Aomat Win User

Hey there,

use Rufus to create a bootable disk and run startup repair from that. It is simply the best tool available - the one you are using might introduce problems.

Aomat, Sep 30, 2016
  5. topdog Win User
    I stumbled upon this simple solution for spinning dots that won't go away.

Turn computer off, then restart and press F12 to get the Boot Device Menu.
    Select POST behavior. Select Fast Boot and set to [OFF] status. Save and exit.
    Hopefully, your computer will continue to start up successfully. At least, mine did.

After rebooting a couple of times with Fast Boot [OFF] you can repeat the steps to turn Fast Boot back [ON].
    Otherwise, every restart will be painfully slow.

With Fast Boot off, additional steps are taken to resolve compatibility issues. In my case, when the startup was complete there was a notification of a program that needed updating. Perhaps that update was not compatible with a Windows update?

topdog, Oct 24, 2016
  6. abeall,

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have Windows 10 running on a MAC, or on a Dell?

cottonball, Oct 24, 2016
  7. Keager Win User
    If it is trying to do the Windows Anniversary update, there were several computers where I work that did the same thing. After a hard power off, they rolled back to the previous version.

Keager, Oct 24, 2016
  8. LLT
    LLT Win User

This was really helpful, thanks! After hitting F12, I did not see an option for "Post behavior" but I just selected the first choice which was "boot manager" and it started, what a relief! After reading all the other comments of possible things to do, I was dreading the worst.

9. XweAponX Win User
    If you have ANY option to roll back to a previous non-anniversary build, use that opportunity. I can attest to this issue happening to me, but in my case, I let it spin and about 6 hours later, it finally booted up. Anniversary update is major, the system can reboot several times installing it. It deleted my AV program which the previous build had accepted, I didn't like that at all. Once I rolled back, everything was OK.

XweAponX, Nov 13, 2016
  10. I tried win10 on my aurora r3 and crashed hard. I did a little research and everyone said my motherboard was incompatible with win10. Not sure what your system has, but i fresh installed win7 and disabled automatic updates to prevent another crash.

Magnumpimplimp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup - Similar Threads - stuck spinning dots

2. No WIndows logo or spinning dots on bootup - only monitor indicator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No WIndows logo or spinning dots on bootup - only monitor indicator: I keep my Desktop off to save on Electricity, but occasionally turn it on to connect to a server. I haven't heard any clicking sounds from any of the hard drives either. Please advise....
  3. No WIndows logo or spinning dots on bootup - only monitor indicator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No WIndows logo or spinning dots on bootup - only monitor indicator: I keep my Desktop off to save on Electricity, but occasionally turn it on to connect to a server. I haven't heard any clicking sounds from any of the hard drives either. Please advise....
  4. Spinning dots during start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Spinning dots during start up: I have a nextbook 10.1 2 in 1 and I cant get rid of the spinning dots. I tried restarting 3 or more times to get to safe mode but it didnt go.What can I do now? Im getting frustrated. I need to get this fixed before my classes start. PLEASE HELP ME!...
  5. Windows logo during update, no spinning dots.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows logo during update, no spinning dots.: Hi, I tried updating from my current version 1605 I think to the latest one, launched in October. All went well until the pc restarted to finish the update. Now I'm looking at windows logo, without any spinning dots and u can hear the fans working. Any ideas? Shall I...
  6. Windows stuck on spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows stuck on spinning dots: Hi, I i have a desktop, which has been running Windows 10, updated from Windows 7. Yesterday when I tried to start it up, it got stuck at the black screen with the Asus logo and black spinning usually, but now frozen dots. In the past it has occasionally been slow at this...
  7. Windows 10 is Stuck in Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is Stuck in Spinning Dots: Hi guys, I need some help. I just encountered this bizarre problem on Windows 10 64-bit (this is the second time that I encountered the problem this year). Here’s how the problem started: 1. I noticed that Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is stuck on spinning dots. I’ve waited for...
  8. Stuck at Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at Spinning Dots: I have a Dell Precision 7910 on windows 10 1803. I updated a couple weeks ago through windows update. I have booted the machine several times since updating. A few days ago I update the NVIDIA driver. I have dual K620 cards. Booted a couple of times sine that update. Today...
  9. Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots: Hey, so to start with, I have a gaming pc and a mac. My macs hardrive (bootcamped windows 10) wasnt working. So to test if its still alive, I plugged it into my gaming pc (set it as my first boot option) to see if itll boot.. and it did. The issue arises when I unplug...
  10. Stuck at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at spinning dots: Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad English. My issue is pretty straight forward: last night I left my computer powered on, and when I woke up, I had a Windows update screen stuck at 100%. The mouse didn't work, everything was frozen. I restarted my PC and it froze at...