Windows 10: Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Discus and support Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; So , enlighten me as why you'd opt in for a subscription to Windows 10? Aren't you already running it on your PC's, via the free upgrade? And don't you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Kari Win User

Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

I would like to see for instance this kind of subscription option, keeping on my mind that Windows 10 is meant to be used and gives the most with an MS Account making OneDrive a viable to store my stuff. Based on O365 Home subscription, one subscription = 5 licenses:

Windows 10 & 1 TB OneDrive

• Unlimited re-installs on max 5 registered device
    • 24/7 phone support
    • No need to subscribe Office 365 if Office Online is enough, yet enough online storage for all user data
    • If the user also wants Office 365 and Office desktop apps, this would be with a reduced price with an additional 1 TB OneDrive storage
    Ideally this would be used with pre-installed OEM Windows; I buy a new laptop with pre-installed Windows 10, which is free for me to use the full lifetime of that laptop, but at any given time I could upgrade to Windows 10 subscription, kind of "releasing" the OEM license, converting it to a reusable retail subscription license which would allow me to have it installed on 5 devices as I want to. Buy a new PC but all your 5 licenses have been used, no problem: unregister one of old licenses / installs, register the license on new PC and so on.

In my opinion a totally acceptable price for that could be $99 a year (Windows 10 subscription, 5 licenses, 5 devices, 1 TB OneDrive) or $169 a year (Windows 10 subscription with additional O365 subscription, 2 TB OneDrive, 5 licenses, 5 devices).

I would subscribe this in about 15 seconds later I had learned about it being possible.

2. lx07 Win User

I've got all the licenses I need so $100 p/a for phone support and one TB of OneDrive space?

Considering 1TB of OneDrive (office online only) is currently $60 p/a it would have to be pretty good phone support *Wink

To charge a subscription they'd need a new really essential app or service (like Office is already). Unfortunately I can't imagine what it would be or I'd patent it....

3. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Same here, not just you if that happens Windows would be a thing of past.Microsoft is successful just because of Windows and probably due to this model.

Sumit Dhiman, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Now, your adding all kinds of extra's to it. I see your point, if its geared like office 365 is. It still doesn't add up for me. I already have Windows 10 free for the life of the device on my 4 devices (PC's). The extra OneDrive storage isn't something I need. I could likely find a use for it if I had it, but I'm not paying for something I don't really need. How many devices are you likely to buy that don't have Windows already pre installed and already licensed? I build a new desktop every now and then, but not near often enough to have to worry about having 5 licenses in a pool to play with. I have a bunch of MSDN keys to play with anyway. Even if I didn't, I'd just do the one time purchase for that one new desktop PC. You have some valid points, but with all the free upgrades out there, I don't see to many takers. And most of those that didn't do the free upgrade, likely never will upgrade to 10.

alphanumeric, Feb 7, 2016
  6. If it was the only option, and it became retroactive , by by Microsoft for me.

7. Kari Win User
    It might of course be English not being my native language and me therefore explaining this badly, but it looks that you totally missed my point.

Looks that you, too missed my point.

You have now Windows 10 for life of those devices on four computers. Your free upgrade licenses are not transferable. In the concept I told in my previous post you could convert those licenses to freely transferable, reusable ones, not caring about on which device you use them.

For the lifetime of you, not the lifetime of those devices.

8. BunnyJ New Member

Then why have a subscription when I can easily go out and purchase a copy of 10 and transfer it as much as I like to any new PC?? Home would be around 110 dollars and that's a one time fee.. wouldn't a subscription be an annual charge?? And if I don't use office or OneDrive why should I have to pay for them??

BunnyJ, Feb 7, 2016
  9. I saw that, but how often would you transfer a license, really? And why? Odds are that new device you just bought is already licensed for Windows 10. So why pay a fee to relicense it? Then how do you sell the one you just unlicensed? For sale with no OS? If you restore the original license, and it was windows 10, what was the point of relicensing it in the first place, just to have it in your group of 5? I really don't see the whole point of this unless its a device that doesn't have Windows on it to start with. I actually just see that model as complicating things and being a big headache for Microsoft. What is you license tied to, product key, hardware ID? Do a clean install and the embedded key is used automatically with no prompt. If it has a Digital Entitlement its using a generic key. Are you going to have to do a change key to make it totally yours? Sounds like a big PITA to me.

10. Kari Win User
    This conversation is pointless. If you do not see any benefits in subscribing software (or in this case OS), there's nothing I can say to change that. Let's just say this: I would never again go and buy an Office 2016 install DVD with a one time price for each PC, to install it on every PC I need it. I rather subscribe it, as I have done for years now.

I am as unable to see the benefits in buying a retail Windows 10 license for each PC I need to as you are to see the benefits of a subscription.

Today's price for Windows 10 Home for a single PC at Microsoft Store is $120 (Microsoft Store - Shopping Cart). Comparing that to my concept I told about, I would need $600 to get it to five computers, with less features (no OneDrive).

I'd rather pay a $99 annual subscription, getting it for 6 years with the same money. In six years quite a lot can be changed, the cost of a single Windows can be much more than today's $120. The subscription price will also be higher but I am sure I would gladly do the same decision again.

Subscription over one time pay for me.

11. Kari Win User
    The average lifetime of my computers is about two years, three at max, then the technology has advanced (my personal subjective opinion) enough to justify letting the old machine retire and getting a new one.

Your mileage may vary.

12. I don't have the finances to be replacing my devices that often. And what I do on my PC's doesn't require new hardware at that rate or replacement. For me, the subscription plan would just be wasted money.

13. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

I for one would ditch Microsoft for good if they started some crap like that. I would only use apple for everything then.

pitbullpup, Feb 7, 2016
  14. vgchat Win User
    What did you just say? Are you implying that people didn't have to pay $50 for Windows 8.1? If I recall, this would be the exception to them not charging for updates.

vgchat, Feb 7, 2016
  15. They didn't if they were already running Windows 8.0. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade/update for anybody running Windows 8.0. And Windows 10 is a free upgrade for anybody running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. Updates for Windows 10 are also free for the life of the device.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why - Similar Threads - subscriptions aren't happening

2. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  3. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  4. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  5. Why is this here ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is this here ?: In my properties in security i find this user Account Unknow 1-5-21 ? what is this an how do i get rid of it ? submitted by /u/MFTGAMING [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ljek9w/why_is_this_here/
  6. Why is this happening or not happening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is this happening or not happening: I have 50 feature updates for may update 1903 but 1903 hasn't and won't install. Now I am downloading feature updates for 1909 but it hasn't installed either...
  7. Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here

in Cortana
    Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here: Hi. I was using Cortana for an undefined period of time and today felt that my personalization settings were reset. Checked through Cortana settings -> found "Sign In" button in Permissions & History (Cortana). Got that stupid error 0х80190005. Tried ending process,...
  8. What happened here?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened here?: Can I have some help?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-here/8fa5ac3e-d817-453d-88dc-5b27bc7070c4"
  9. Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?: Long story cut short... I am having a play to try and resolve an issue with a specific program that I suspect could be graphics related. I got curious on refresh rates and found various on-line checkers that are supposed to show actual rates on your PC. Why does changing...
  10. 'tap here to decide what happens'

in Windows 10 Support
    'tap here to decide what happens': A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For several reasons this is very poor. And the 'decide which app to open this file' dialog, which is a step back in usefulness....