Windows 10: Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Discus and support Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Ah gotcha, could've sworn people were saying something about having to pay to upgrade to 8.1 while using 8 though. That's the one I skipped since I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 6, 2016.

1. vgchat Win User

Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Ah gotcha, could've sworn people were saying something about having to pay to upgrade to 8.1 while using 8 though. That's the one I skipped since I used 7 then upgraded to 10.

vgchat, Feb 7, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

I am not talking about my case, nor yours. I am talking about an alternative.

Do you really mean that because you personally will not need and want a subscription option, it automatically means that such an option is not needed and should not be introduced? That the decision should be made according to your personal needs and wishes?

3. cereberus Win User
    And do you think Apple would not introduce this if it became the norm on Windows?

cereberus, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

I doubt that MS will offer just a subscription OS. I beleive someday they will offer one (as they have the patent on the name Windows 365). It's too much to cut off the users that have lead to a 90% market share and dropt the desktop product. By have the cloud and desktop at the same time users could ease into moving to cloud OS.

orlbuckeye, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Ah, you did say "The average lifetime of my computers is about two years... " I took that to mean you were talking about your personal situation. In any case I do see your point, and why you might want to do it. I still don't think it makes sense for most people, just my opinion though. For the average consumer, said device will be pre licensed by the OEM. Why pay to license it again? The exception will be those that build their own desktop PC's. And even then, that's just one or two PC's maybe. Anyway, your for it and I'm just not buying into it. As long as I can still have a pay once option, I don't care if they do it or not.

alphanumeric, Feb 7, 2016
  6. Once you get to Windows 10 there won't be any more upgrade only updates. So you would be paying a rate to keep using Windows 10 and receive the updates that make you stay current.

orlbuckeye, Feb 7, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Just to finish this from my side, I naturally know that a concept as the one I described will never be true.

Yes, I used myself as an example of a user who might benefit if a subscription option was available. But you seem to totally ignore the fact that I have very clearly been talking about a concept, an alternative to the traditional retail model, about something that would interest me and I am sure quite a number of other users. Not my case, not your case but an option, an alternative.

As opposed to you, I do not even try to force this idea to other users. I do not think like you clearly do that because I like the current way, no other options should be available. As far as I am concerned you are free to buy your Windows in the future exactly as you'd prefer. I do not think that because I would like a subscription option as an alternative for the "pay once use the lifetime of a device" model and benefit from it, therefore that should be the only option.

I wholeheartedly allow Microsoft to make the decisions, I will not post nor tell here or anywhere else that because I like the idea they need to do it and make it the only available option. What I wish and hope does quite often not correspond with the reality. I know that.

Really, quite funny: The only thing I have said and posted is an imaginary concept coined up by me. How provocative is that?

8. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Excuse me, but where exactly did I try to force my Idea on anybody? You are clearly trying to put words in my mouth that I never said, and I would advise you to stop doing it right now. I have said all along, from the very beginning, that I don't care if they do or don't do it. As long as I have my buy once option. I have also said several times that I see your point? I am really getting tired of your soap box attitude and insinuating remarks. And I don't really care what you have to say from this point forward. I'm putting you back on my ignore list and unsubscribing from this thread.

alphanumeric, Feb 7, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    My apologies for misunderstanding your words. Let's let the conversation advance without any more references to this concept of mine.

10. meebers Win User
    I don't think a MS subscription will change my status? My work allows me to install O365 on my home computer and keep it as long as I am employed. My college Alma mater does the same, assuming for life. I have yet to take advantage of either because up until last year, my employer participated in the HUP program which just about included all the office suite programs. I ordered a backup dvd just in case. See if any of these options may be available to you *Biggrin

meebers, Feb 7, 2016
  11. I got Win8 for $40 and upgraded to Win8.1 for free. Even though Win10 is free upgrade, I wouldn't object to paying $40 one-time fee for it, or even a little more. But monthly subscription -- NO.

I can see the advantage of using something like Office 365 for $100 a year because it comes (I think) with five license limit. That breaks down to $20 a license -- which makes it a lot cheaper than buying the Home version.

If MS came out with Extras (like they were GOING to do with a prior OS), then I could see charging a fee for those, but those would have to be optional -- and given that Win10 already has everything I need, I would not buy them.

I did a rough tally on the thread so far and the ration of drop-to-keep regarding Win10 becoming a subscription model is around 5 to 1.

Now THAT would surely hurt MS's 200 MILLION users count if 80% suddenly dropped Win10 due to a subscription model being put in place!

Mark Phelps, Feb 7, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    There has certainly been a lot of hot air expended on this thread, coupled with the odd fractious response.
    Face the facts, M$ will never charge for the licence to use the O/S, what they are really after is the more conscripts the better.
    Google have for years been creaming off billions with their search engine, so much so that they are now one of the richest and largest corporates in the world.
    Now M$ with Bing and Cortana wish to dip their noses in what is a very lucrative trough.

dencal, Feb 7, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Neither do I and that's the point.

BunnyJ, Feb 7, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    It's nice if you have 600 dollars to spend but not all of us do. Keep that in mind.

BunnyJ, Feb 7, 2016
  15. larc919 Win User
    I don't know what Microsoft will do with Win10 in the future since I broke my crystal ball. But I've never thought for even one second that they decided to give it away unless they thought it meant more money for them in the long run, not less. That money will come from somewhere, almost inevitably our pockets. One thing is sure: we aren't the ones they are primarily interested in benefiting.

larc919, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why - Similar Threads - subscriptions aren't happening

2. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  3. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  4. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  5. Why is this here ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is this here ?: In my properties in security i find this user Account Unknow 1-5-21 ? what is this an how do i get rid of it ? submitted by /u/MFTGAMING [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ljek9w/why_is_this_here/
  6. Why is this happening or not happening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is this happening or not happening: I have 50 feature updates for may update 1903 but 1903 hasn't and won't install. Now I am downloading feature updates for 1909 but it hasn't installed either...
  7. Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here

in Cortana
    Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here: Hi. I was using Cortana for an undefined period of time and today felt that my personalization settings were reset. Checked through Cortana settings -> found "Sign In" button in Permissions & History (Cortana). Got that stupid error 0х80190005. Tried ending process,...
  8. What happened here?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened here?: Can I have some help?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-here/8fa5ac3e-d817-453d-88dc-5b27bc7070c4"
  9. Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?: Long story cut short... I am having a play to try and resolve an issue with a specific program that I suspect could be graphics related. I got curious on refresh rates and found various on-line checkers that are supposed to show actual rates on your PC. Why does changing...
  10. 'tap here to decide what happens'

in Windows 10 Support
    'tap here to decide what happens': A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For several reasons this is very poor. And the 'decide which app to open this file' dialog, which is a step back in usefulness....