Windows 10: Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Discus and support Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Now THAT would surely hurt MS's 200 MILLION users count if 80% suddenly dropped Win10 due to a subscription model being put in place! I am uneducated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Kari Win User

Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

I am uneducated and uncivilized, I know it. Please educate me, tell me how and why would 80% of the users drop Windows 10 if there was an alternative way to get it, a subscription and a "pay for once use the lifetime of your device" option side by side?

Do you mean that the users who would usually buy a one time retail license and would still be able to do that really object and hate the subscription model so much that they would completely stop using Windows if that option, an alternative was offered to those who want it?

How can you misread me so badly? Intentionally? I said that I would not like to use $600 if I could get more with an annual $99 subscription.

I can somehow understand you guys attacking a concept I described (repeat: an imaginary concept!) but please, do not try to stress your points by intentionally quoting me wrong.

2. Winuser Win User

Do you really believe that Windows 10 is never going to advance and we're only going to get bug fixes and security updates. If MS decides to go subscription it will be for upgrades and not updates. As for "good for the life of the device". Did MS ever give their definition of what they consider the life of a device?

Winuser, Feb 7, 2016
  3. simrick Win User
    You hit the nail on the head. I can guarantee that "life of the device" does not include how long you can keep the thing running. When they decide something's no longer supported, you will be on your own. Additionally, I'll bet you will see future optional add-ons which will be available at a price, just like buying an app on Google Play or Apple App Store. In this scenario, an optional subscription model may be a viable option for some people.

simrick, Feb 7, 2016
  4. groze Win User

I actually have no monthly subscription right now, I like to keep it that way. I don't have a credit card to put it on anyways. I would use either windows 7 or Linux system before even paying for subscription. My online stuff is youtube, fourms, Medical stuff, banking, paying some bills, facebook, twitter and some small purchases.

groze, Feb 7, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    To quote you:
    Subscription total fee = 99 * 6= 594
    One time Payment = 120

That's what I was/am referring to.

You seem to like this subscription idea for you own reasons and I don't wish to pay every year for 10.. ever.

BunnyJ, Feb 7, 2016
  6. What I figured was going to happen was that the system builds would be issued to a point (where say for example a MAJOR change was going to happen). Then they might charge $40 or $50 to move to the new version, but updates and support would be provided for awhile (maybe one year) for the old release.

At a certain point, you might need to change out hardware (perhaps a new CPU would require support or a new system bus). I guess I figured it was going to be a carbon copy of the Mac OSX model.

Jody Thornton, Feb 7, 2016
  7. larc919 Win User
    That's the trouble with renting. If you do it long enough, you pay for something many times over and still don't own any part of it or even the right to use it if you stop paying.

larc919, Feb 8, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

That's the way I see it happening. If MS does decide to charge for Windows as a Service I hope MS is only going to charge for upgrades to the OS as more features are added or to keep up with hardware changes. If they try to charge a monthly or yearly fee just to continue to use Windows 10, then I would consider going back to a earlier version of Windows on my computers that didn't come pre-installed with Windows 10. On my newer computers if the price was to high to continue to use Window 10 I would try to find a full version of Windows 7 or 8.1. I would even consider going back to Linux. (Putting on my tin hat) I still have a bad feeling about MS's push to get everyone on Windows 10.

Winuser, Feb 8, 2016
  9. MS could easily get away with a subscription fee and I suspect many people would accept it, if it worked like phones (i.e. the fee includes a "free" PC).

lehnerus2000, Feb 9, 2016
  10. larc919 Win User
    So do I. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a Trojan Horse. But one thought back when I first heard Win10 would be free was, "Beware of Microsoft bearing gifts." *Wink

larc919, Feb 9, 2016
  11. Well you can't transfer as much as you want. If you buy OEM windows its not transferable at all. It would even require you to purchase a new copy of WIndows 10 if you upgraded your motherboard. The retail version of WIndows allows you to transfer to another machine as long as you don't continue to use it on the old machine. In other words 1 license per machine and not transferrable while still in use. They are talking about a Windows subscription not Office. When you get Office Onedrive is required to store you data. Onedrive isn't required if you have WiIndows but it's available for free with limited storage space.

orlbuckeye, Feb 9, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't intend to get an OEM version of 10 and I'm aware of the limitation of running a retail copy of 10 on one PC at a time.

And I still would not want 10 as a subscription service.

BunnyJ, Feb 9, 2016
  13. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why

Only problem with that is MS only makes the Surfaces. The OEM's make all the other devices. The phone service providers don't make alot on the phones they make it on the data.

orlbuckeye, Feb 9, 2016
  14. I don't want a subscription either. You get the OEM when you buy a new PC. There are no more upgrades once you get to Windows 10. MS hasn't announced what will happen with upgrades after the year is over. Currently you can only purchase the full install (clean) which is would be to replace OS's older then WIndows 7 or a new systems and the OEM is way cheaper. The upgrade is free and you can do a clean install forever so there is no need to buy Windows 10.

The only was MS will ever offer a subscription was if the offered a one time cost also and the users had a choice. Thats the only way it would be profitable for MS to do it.

orlbuckeye, Feb 9, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    I build my PC's *Wink

BunnyJ, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why - Similar Threads - subscriptions aren't happening

2. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  3. Why is this key here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this key here?: There's a registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ms-one-stub and I don't know what it's for. Looking it up it says OneDrive for businesses but I removed one drive from my PC the day it arrived AND it was just normal one drive. What is this related to? The data inside the key is...
  4. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  5. Why is this here ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is this here ?: In my properties in security i find this user Account Unknow 1-5-21 ? what is this an how do i get rid of it ? submitted by /u/MFTGAMING [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ljek9w/why_is_this_here/
  6. Why is this happening or not happening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is this happening or not happening: I have 50 feature updates for may update 1903 but 1903 hasn't and won't install. Now I am downloading feature updates for 1909 but it hasn't installed either...
  7. Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here

in Cortana
    Minor's aren't allowed to use their accounts here: Hi. I was using Cortana for an undefined period of time and today felt that my personalization settings were reset. Checked through Cortana settings -> found "Sign In" button in Permissions & History (Cortana). Got that stupid error 0х80190005. Tried ending process,...
  8. What happened here?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened here?: Can I have some help?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-here/8fa5ac3e-d817-453d-88dc-5b27bc7070c4"
  9. Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Refresh Rates. What is happening here ?: Long story cut short... I am having a play to try and resolve an issue with a specific program that I suspect could be graphics related. I got curious on refresh rates and found various on-line checkers that are supposed to show actual rates on your PC. Why does changing...
  10. 'tap here to decide what happens'

in Windows 10 Support
    'tap here to decide what happens': A couple of things I do not like about 8.1 are what happens when I plug in a removable drive: the 'tap here to decide what happens' message. For several reasons this is very poor. And the 'decide which app to open this file' dialog, which is a step back in usefulness....