Windows 10: Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders?

Discus and support Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I created an encrypted file several months ago. No issues. Then one day out of the blue the folder will not lock. Now the option to encrypt a folder is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bcjamaj, Aug 11, 2018.

1. bcjamaj Win User

Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders?

I created an encrypted file several months ago. No issues. Then one day out of the blue the folder will not lock. Now the option to encrypt a folder is grayed out. Only thing I can think of is one of the stupid automatic updates that windows does has corrupted this option. I can't find anything about this. Someone help please!

:)

bcjamaj, Aug 11, 2018

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Aug 11, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 11, 2018
  4. Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders?

Can't Encrypting Folder

Hi Jeanette,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. This is the strongest protection that is available in Windows to help you
    keep your individual files and folders secure. Here are the steps on how you can encrypt files and folders in Windows 10:

• Right-click the folder or file you want to encrypt, and then click Properties.
    • In the General tab, click on the Advanced button.
    • Check the Encrypt contents to secure data box, and click on OK.
    • Click OK and close Properties window.
    • Apply changes to the folder, subfolders and files when prompted. If it is a file, select to either Encrypt the file and its parent folder or Encrypt the file only for what you want, and click
      on OK.

Tip: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should backup your encryption certificate. If you lose access to your encrypted files
    and folders, you will not be able to open them again unless you first restore the file encryption key for them.

Do let us know if you need any other assistance.

Regards.

Darian Tab, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders?

1. Windows 10 suddenly stops allowing encrypted folders? - Similar Threads - suddenly stops allowing

2. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  3. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  4. How to encrypt a folder in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to encrypt a folder in windows 10: I want to protect a folder in my desktop containing secret information But I don't know how to do that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-encrypt-a-folder-in-windows-10/eb638001-9fe5-4e85-a803-42d9b94a4cbb
  5. Encrypting folders in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting folders in Windows 10: The encryption facility to encrypt files or folders is greyed out. Have tried the methods suggested i.e. going into cmd and changing the fsutil file to 0 and also going into the ntfs file and doing the same but nothing works. Any suggestions please?...
  6. Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions: I tried to download a file using Firefox and was told I did not have permission to save it. I went to the folder to change permissions, and I am not able to do that -- everything grayed out. I am using an administrator account. I rebooted and tried running explorer as an...
  7. Windows 10 folder encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 folder encryption: I have right clicked a folder -> properties -> advanced -> selected "encrypt contents to secure data". A gold padlock appears on every document in the folder. My question, when I attach a document out of that folder to gmail and mail it to someone, it is not encrypted,...
  8. Search suddenly stopped finding folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Search suddenly stopped finding folders: The Search facility in File Explorer has suddenly stopped displaying folders, ie if I search for 'adobe' it will find any files including that term, but not show the many folders that exist that contain it. This is a recent development, and as far as I know I've not changed...
  9. Folder Encryption.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Encryption.: Hello Microsoft Community, I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so. I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out. I then looked on the internet for a...
  10. Windows 10 is suddenly encrypting files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is suddenly encrypting files: Yesterday I spent some time consolidating files from three external hard drives down to two. Somewhere along the line Windows started prompting me to backup my encryption key. I have no idea why, since I didn't ask for any encryption. Bitlocker is off for all drives. Then...