Windows 10: Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system

Discus and support Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi everyone, There seems to be a lot of these kinds of questions on the net but none have very satisfying answers, and I was hoping someone out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dirtywindows, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system

Hi everyone,

There seems to be a lot of these kinds of questions on the net but none have very satisfying answers, and I was hoping someone out there can help.

I'm trying to create a backup system image using the Backup and Restore function in Windows 10. While going through the backup wizard, it says it will use about 14 GB of space but ends up using around 60 GB. I have tried this twice with the same results.

Here are some things you may want to know:
    - system size 13.3 GB out of 250 SSD (only system drive, data on second drive)
    - did not checkbox data drive to be included in backup (final sizes wouldn't match anyway, data drive too big)
    - tried deleting and creating new volume on drive, then creating image but still the same
    - have the very latest Windows 10 Home updates

If I delete the newly-created Windows Backup folder, there is still 45 GB left on the new, backup drive, yet the drive is empty. Even showing hidden files and folders doesn't reveal anything.

I have done this image backup numerous times on the same system - what is essentially the same basic installation of Windows 10. Except this time, this system drive has the latest updates.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what's happening?

:)

dirtywindows, Oct 8, 2016
  2. dharge Win User

System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Here's my issue in a nutshell. Had an issue with my HP Envy 17 Leap Motion. I have Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10. Made a system image disk on an external hard drive and sent the unit back to HP for repair. HP had to replace the motherboard and some other small
    issues. Got the system back and attempted to re-load the system image disk and got the following messages - "The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)"

Tried to do a recovery and got this message:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0x000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

(btw...I have installation DVD and a USB recovery drive)

Next it was suggested I reset the PC. I got this message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Have no clue how to do that.

I hope I've give you enough information to offer a suggestion.

Original title: System Image failure

dharge, Oct 8, 2016
  3. System Image failure with error: The system image restore failed. Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to reload the system image disk after getting the laptop from the repair shop.

As you have created a system image before making any hardware changes, I would like to inform that: the supporting files for the new hardware wouldn't be present on the system image. Also, wouldn't match with the existing system files.

System image doesn't contain any of your data, it restore your computer using a system image file. The system image overwrites your computer's state and files.

I suggest you to use an ISO file for Windows 10, try the reinstall Windows 10 and check if it helps.

I recommend you to refer to the Microsoft article: Recovery options in Windows 10

Section: Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10

I would like to inform that on Windows 8.1, the product key would be pre-injected on the Motherboard. As you have changed the hardware (Where product key will be installed), you will face activation issues.

I suggest you to refer to: Activation in Windows 10 in case of such situations.

Section: Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change

Hope it help. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 8, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system

Regulars on this forum generally recommend use of Macrium Reflect Free as their image backup tool of choice. It is far superior (faster, small images, very reliable, easy to use etc.). Many guides on web and youtube.

cereberus, Oct 8, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Seconded. Periodically people report obscure problems related to the very basic Windows Backup and Restore. You just don't want your backup process to be unreliable. Go 3rd party.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2016
  6. Thanks for the reply.

Are there any limitations in Macrium Reflect Free? While I was researching backup programs a while back, I feel like there was something I didn't like about it from other people's descriptions. I can't remember. Are there ads in it since it's free?

7. cereberus Win User
    No it is ad free. (imo) To quote Tina T. "Simply the best, better than all the rest".

See results of recent poll.

Solved Tell your backup software, win Macrium Reflect Home license! - Page 7 - Windows 10 Forums

cereberus, Oct 8, 2016
  8. Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system

OK, thanks. I'll try it out.

9. kado897 Win User
    I second that MR is the best and the free version is more than adequate for most users.

kado897, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system

1. Windows 10 system image quadruple the size of system - Similar Threads - system image quadruple

2. Windows 10 System image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 System image: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to create Windows 10 system image backup but it takes much space same asin my C Drive. Is there any to compress system image or another way or third party tool?...
  3. Windows 10 System image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 System image: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to create Windows 10 system image backup but it takes much space same asin my C Drive. Is there any to compress system image or another way or third party tool?...
  4. Windows 10 System image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Image Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Windows 10: Can you put a System Image created in Windows 10 Back up and restore windows 7 and put the image onto a USB thumb drive?My drive is like 70 GB in sizeI was in Best Buy yesterday and I saw a USB thumb drive that was 128 GB in size and would easily fit the file sizeJust want to...
  6. System Image Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Windows 10: Can you put a System Image created in Windows 10 Back up and restore windows 7 and put the image onto a USB thumb drive?My drive is like 70 GB in sizeI was in Best Buy yesterday and I saw a USB thumb drive that was 128 GB in size and would easily fit the file sizeJust want to...
  7. Size of a Windows 10 system image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Size of a Windows 10 system image?: Does anybody know approximately size of a Windows 10 system backup image? The reason for my question is that I am trying to decide between a one terabyte and a two terabyte backup drive. I want to make sure that I have room for my regular backups and the system image backup...
  8. Windows 10 System Image

Windows 10 System Image: Hi all! My laptop has just come back from repair but all my data on it was erased. However, before sending it to repair, I managed to create both a Windows System Image and repair disk. Now, since I want to restore my laptop to the version where I had all my data, which was...
  9. Windows 10 System Image

Windows 10 System Image: Hi, I bought a new laptop from Currys in the UK, and the sales person there was insistent that I needed to pay them to supply a system image on a memory stick, and of course pay. I declined their offer, and have a couple of questions: 1, Do I really need to create a...
  10. Windows 10 System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 System Image: I would like to create a complete system image using the built-in Windows 10 image backup. I understand how to do this onto an external hard drive. I also understand that I can create a bootable flash drive there as well. But do I have to create this flash drive or could I...