Windows 10: Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit

Discus and support Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I had a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro that started giving very poor battery performance and the case was getting very hot. MS agreed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nicenswift, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit

Hi,

I had a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro that started giving very poor battery performance and the case was getting very hot.

MS agreed to either repair/replace under warranty but I needed to ship it back.

Before I shipped it back I did a Windows 10 System Image Backup to a USB drive hopeing that if MS replaced with a new Surface pro 3 I would be able to restore the Image to the new unit.

MS has as I thought replaced the Surface Pro 3 with a new one but I am struggling to restore the image to this new one.

It is asking for a recovery Key ?

Am I right in thinking that you can restore the Image to a replacement unit ?

Many thanks for your help

:)

nicenswift, Dec 6, 2015

2. Another Question on KB3172985 Fail

To close this out,

1. I have purchased a replacement PC with Windows 10 and am preparing to stand it up as the replacement for my old PC.

2. ALL of my problems associated with System Protection, Disk Management, Recovery, etc. are traceable to a failed external hard drive of which I had two. I used them for backup only, one for File History, and the other for periodic System
    Images. Once I removed the failed unit, all Windows 10 functions involving disk access and management work fine. Nonetheless, I am going forward with the new PC. It's time.

Curmudgeon10, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Image Flash from one to another external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the files are replaced and some files are lost due to usage of other system image for the recovery. We will help you.

If you are using the system image, it has to be used as the system particular image. If any other image is used then it might caused these issues such as the recovery might fail or the files will be replaced and previous files may get deleted.

Note: When you are performing a recovery of the system image make sure it of your particular system which you had made the image from and use for the same.

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted if you are facing any further issues in Windows.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 6, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit

No. The system image you have done on the old Surface Pro cannot be applied to another Surface Pro.

If you go to the folder that contains the system image backup, you will see that the folder has a name. That name is in reference to the machine it took the backup from.
    Your new surface pro has a different computer name. Do a new system image with that new surface and you'll see it has a different name.

davidhk, Dec 6, 2015
  5. Oh dear.

Is there anyway round this or at least is there a way to at least resore the data i.e. docs, pics etc.

Many thanks for your help.

nicenswift, Dec 6, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    I am sure there is an easy way.
    Thing is, I have my documents, pictures etc stored in an external hard drive. I never use the file backup method. So, I can help you there.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Dec 6, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    • Open the folder that you have the backup and search for .vhdx files, take a note on the largest file size, that should be the image of the old C: Drive.
    • Next, open Disk Management, from the menu: Action->Attach vhd and navigate to where the vhdx file resides.
    • Next, Assign a letter for it then you can open with file explorer to restore your data.

topgundcp, Dec 6, 2015
  8. Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit

Many thanks for this.

Would I be correct in thinking there is no way to do a full restore of the image to my new SP3.

nicenswift, Dec 6, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Correct, Windows built in backup software won't allow you to do this due to security permission. For future backup. It is better to use Macrium Reflect Free which will create a single backup image.

topgundcp, Dec 6, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Which you CAN restore to a new/replacement computer. My feeling is that I am making a backup in case the OS fails/gets corrupted, do I really want to trust that same OS to restore it?

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2015
  11. Hi Guys,

Just thought I would follow up with this issue.

I had another go at restoring the image from the Broken SP3 to the new one.

I firstly created a recovery DVD from the new SP3.

I booted from this and selected restore from image and pointed to the image I had taken from the broken SP3.

I expected it to fail again but it went all the way to the end and then gave error The parameter is incorrect 0x80070057.

I rebooted the machine and to my joy it seemed to have worked.

the only problem I then faced was Windows 10 pro said it was not activated and when I tried to activate it failed.

I presumed this was because it was using the old bios key so I used produkey to find new one and put this in as the key and it activated fine.

Many thanks for all the help and advice I really appreciate your time spent on this.

nicenswift, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit

1. Windows 10 System Image Recovery On Replacement Unit - Similar Threads - System Image Recovery

2. System image recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image recovery: I'm about to get a new computer and I was wondering: Since I procured my Windows 10 via the free upgrade, will I need to buy a retail version of Windows 10 after I make a system image recovery?...
  3. Windows 10 System Image Recovery

Windows 10 System Image Recovery: Does anyone have a solution for recovering Windows 10 via a system image that works? I have tried using; a USB, network location, placing the image on the root of a new hard drive. All from the advanced startup and from the backup / restore within a clean install of Windows...
  4. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: What does it do and how do I used ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-recovery/67abca7a-9aa8-4309-bfc3-9fc7cf299d02
  5. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Can I use a SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY to transfer my files to anew PC trough an external drive? If on my existing pc i have 2 disks C: and D: and the new one will also have 2 disks will the system install the image on the new PC like they were on the old PC? C: to C: amd D:ti...
  6. system image recovery

system image recovery: I can't long into my Desktop-HTLT8V4 it needs recovery key and the sign I got was - to retrieve this key , go tohttp://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykeyfaq from another PC or mobile device .in case you need it the key ID is D48B8C0E...
  7. System image recovery

System image recovery: I had backed up a system image on March 2, put an old Windows 7 one I had on my Netbook before it broke (my desktop was originally a Windows 7 btw). On March 30, I tried to restore the system image I saved earlier in the month, but I ended up getting a system image I saved...
  8. System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery: Hey guys, OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 System Model HP ProBook 4540s System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) I have made it a habit to...
  9. System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Recovery: Hi All, I'm switching to SSD and I created a system image on the drive already. I tried going to system image recovery to boot using it, however when I click it, the screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure it's not a time thing, I gave it 8 hours. I'm pretty sure this is my...
  10. windows 10 system image recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    windows 10 system image recovery: when I want to use the win10 system image recovery that Ihad made... i have this problem.... after going to setting...,going to restore...,going to advance... and the going to use.. use a system image recovery, the computer goes to the page that i have to select the...