Windows 10: Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32

Discus and support Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was reading about Bitlocker and noticed this: Because pre-startup authentication and system integrity verification must take place on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Oubadah Win User

Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32

I was reading about Bitlocker and noticed this:

Securing Windows 10 with BitLocker Drive Encryption Microsoft MVP Award Program Blog

On my UEFI PC's (on which Windows 10 was installed in UEFI mode), Windows created a 450MB NTFS recovery partition and a 99MB FAT32 no name partition. Which one of these are they talking about above, and does this mean that I cannot enable bitlocker because there is not a 350MB+ FAT32 partition?

:)

Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Windows 10, Fixboot - Access Denied

If you are running a Legacy system, there is no need for a FAT32 partition to boot.

For an NTFS partition to be bootable, it needs to be marked as active.

Still not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

Secure Boot is a component of Win 10 when installed in the UEFI mode.... UEFI systems need FAT 32 partitions to boot.

Saltgrass, Dec 10, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Merge EFI System partition with Windows/Main (C) partition

The EFI System partition is and has to be formatted as FAT32.. So, not possible. A UEFI system will not boot from an NTFS partition.

You can have something like 250 partitions on a GPT configured drive..

Saltgrass, Dec 10, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

You have a 450MB Recovery Partition, and a FAT32 File system partition, so you are good to go.

spunk, Dec 10, 2016
  5. Oubadah Win User
    Is that a typo in the article then? It strongly implies that you need a 350MB+ FAT32 partition for bitlocker on UEFI systems.

Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You need to expand your FAT32 EFI System Partition to at least 350mb in size. I would recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard to do it:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

If you have the standard UEFI layout, you will have to take the space from the front of your C: drive partition (250 MB). There will be a small MSR partition that does not show up in disk management, you will have to move that over to the right, up against the new starting location of the C: drive partition. Then expand the EFI System Partition. Make sure to click the apply button. MiniTool will restart the computer to shrink the C: drive partition. The operation occurring when the computer reboots will look scary, but don't worry about it, it will do what it is supposed to do.

NavyLCDR, Dec 10, 2016
  7. Oubadah Win User
    Why doesn't the Windows 10 installer do that in the first place?

Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I don't know, I don't work for Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Dec 10, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Mine was done at the install of Win10, new OEM computer from ASUS with a new clean Toshiba HDD. Upgrades from Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 may be a different story.

Berton, Dec 10, 2016
  10. Oubadah Win User
    Mine are clean installs from the windows 10 AU ISO. It's always: 450MB NTFS (recovery) -> 99MB FAT32 (system) ->16MB (MSR) -> C:\.

Apparently the recovery partition is wrong too, because if you perform an AU upgrade on a pre-AU installation (which used the same partition structure above), it will generate a new 800MB+ recovery partition at the end of the drive (and the end of the drive is where it's supposed to be according to this article: UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions).

So the Windows installer:
    - Makes an undersized system partition, too small to allow one of it's key features to work.
    - Puts the recovery partition in the wrong position.
    - Makes the recovery partition too small so that it has to be re-made during build updates.

Great

Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016
  11. Oubadah Win User
    I think that article I referred to in the OP is wrong. I'm having a hard time finding other sources that say Bitlocker needs a 350MB system partition. This page, dated 5/4/2016, says 100MB minimum. BitLocker Drive Encryption

Oubadah, Dec 10, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    Bitlocker does not work on Home of course.

cereberus, Dec 10, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

IMHO, both articles are misleading. Don't know where he get 350MB, the 2nd article talks about MBR disk. Your Windows installation is correct using GPT partition scheme, you don't need to resize anything. Post #2 is correctly stated provided that the version of Windows 10 you have is PRO.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 System Partition Requirement UEFI - NTFS or FAT32 - Similar Threads - System Partition Requirement

2. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  3. Win Install media, FAT32 or NTFS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win Install media, FAT32 or NTFS?: Around the web I've seen descriptions creating Windows 10 install media (USB, mounted Drives etc) where most are formatted to FAT32. But some that said you could format the media NTFS. Is this platform specific (?) curious what difference is or other delineations. 156505
  4. Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with a Windows 10 partition that has been hidden and format changed to FAT32 vice NTFS: I am looking for some assistance with the partitioned Windows 10 hard drive on a friends laptop. Unfortunately, she was tricked into letting a scammer complete a remote connection to her laptop to remove "malware and viruses" from her laptop. I realize this is an ongoing...
  5. Win Install media, FAT32 or NTFS?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win Install media, FAT32 or NTFS?: Around the web I've seen descriptions creating Windows 10 install media (USB, mounted Drives etc) where most are formatted to FAT32. But some that said you could format the media NTFS. Is this platform specific (?) curious what difference is or other delineations. 156505
  6. Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS: Question is a flash drive formatted in FAT32 upward compatible to Windows 10 NTFS. If not what are the symptoms of incompatibility.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compatibility-fat32-to-ntfs/bbb8d2e0-5c09-4397-b909-ad8611da7ac0
  7. Recover Fat32 partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover Fat32 partition: I had partitioned my D drive to install Linux. It did not install properly, now I am left with 3 partitions 1. The original D drive, now shrunk 500GB 2. 200 MB partition 3. An unallocated partition 400GB I am not able to use the 3rd partition. I just want it all to be...
  8. NTFS or FAT32

NTFS or FAT32: Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus...
  9. change FAT32 USB to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change FAT32 USB to NTFS: I purchased a 16 GB USB drive to use as ReadyBoost. In reading I discovered that NTFS is best because you can use more of the space and that you can convert FAT32 to NFTS. I had already devoted the drive to ReadyBoost before I tried this so maybe that is my problem....
  10. USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?

USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?: Fresh Installing Windows 10 and before downloading file, I was thinking if I should format my drive to Fat32 OR NTFS OR exFAT? Does it make any difference ? - Plz Guide me. 13799

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro c drive ntfs or fat32?

2. should i use fat 32 or ntfs on uefo gpt

3. primary partition fat32 windows 10

4. uefi ntfs,
  5. should my partition be fat32 to boot ubuntu on it,
  6. Windows 10 partition fat or ntfs,
  7. uefi ntfs or fat32,
  8. windows somehow formatted my ssd as ntfs,
  9. format UEFI or fat32,
  10. system fat32 partition,
  11. win10 uefi size,
  12. Windows 10 system partition size ntfs,
  13. windows 10 stig can i convert to ntfs efi,