Windows 10: Windows 10 system suicide

Discus and support Windows 10 system suicide in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 about a month ago. Been running without issues until 2 days ago. Win 10 welcomed me with a bluescreen,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kongking, Apr 28, 2016.

1. kongking Win User

Windows 10 system suicide

Hi there. I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 about a month ago. Been running without issues until 2 days ago. Win 10 welcomed me with a bluescreen, now the Startmenu and Taskbar is gone, also my Keyboard - the virtual Keyboard isnt working either, same goes for most services. Windows 10 recovery not working, System restore point not working either. A lot of issues. So I tried to backup my files from Desktop but they are all locked and I am not able to do anything due to permission issues. I am the admin but not able to change those permissions. I lost admin access even though I am the admin and settings should be set right. There is no way but to format that Harddrive, but I cant before I am not able to backup my files. How can I safe my files. How can I regain my permissions even tough Windows tells me I am the owner? Before that bluescreen I was able to move and copy those files. Out of nowhere I cant. Worst Windows experience ever as there is not a single proper fix or solution to this pretty common issue. Hope somebody knows how to fix this. No more hope on Windows 10, just want to get my files back! Any help very very much appreciated. *cake

:)

kongking, Apr 28, 2016

2. N8 help plz.

Before you attempt the 3 fingered suicide try the Factory reset first.

Type *#7370# into the dialler. This will restore the phone to an out of the box condition without loosing Ovi maps and QT, unlike the 3 fingered suicide which should only be used to revive a dead phone.

All the best.

Ray

Ray Hipkiss, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Lumia 950 phone

Thank for you replies. As windows phones have committed suicide. I would be very grateful for your observations and suggestion for the replacement for the Lumia 950

Many thanks

MichaelWunn, Apr 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make a bootable USB flash drive, CD or DVD of Kyhi's recovery drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from it. You will also need an external storage device such as a USB hard drive with enough free space to store an image. Use Macrium Reflect Free to make an image of at least the Windows partition of the hard drive. After the image is created you should be able to explore it from Macrium Reflect Free, and click the box for allowing access to restricted files/folders. Once you verify you can do that, then you can clean install Windows 10, install Macrium Reflect Free on the newly installed Windows 10, and explore the image to copy your data files back.

Here's a little hint as well. If you have the USB hard drive to store the image on, you can also save a Windows 10 ISO file to it obtained from either Microsoft Tech Bench or Media Creation Tool. You can initiate the Windows 10 clean install from within Kyhi's recovery drive by mounting the ISO file, then running setup.exe from the virtual drive created.

NavyLCDR, Apr 28, 2016
  5. kongking Win User
    Hi there thank you for that quick answer. I am not able to create an image via Macrium Reflect. It "Failed to create Volume Snapshot". I did a bunch of troubleshooting on it and I tried a couple of other programs in order to create an image. All of them have trouble - none working and just getting stuck. Seems like too many Windows Services are down (such as VSS). I dont care about fixing Windows, just need to regain access to my files. Any other tips or hacks?

kongking, Apr 29, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    From Kyhi's recovery drive, use File Explorer to copy off everything you can? Then do a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 29, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, Apr 30, 2016
  8. kongking Win User

First of all many thanks to you for providing so much help. I have booted on Khyi's recovery drive, but the File Explorer doesn't allow me to copy those files over. I still can't move / copy the files anywhere.

kongking, Apr 30, 2016
  9. Make a bootable USB for pretty much any version of Linux. That should allow you to copy your stuff regardless of Windows permissions. Linux Mint is probably the most "Windows" like if you are not familiar with Linux.

Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - Cinnamon (64-bit) - Linux Mint

Use something like Win32DiskImager or UnetBootin to convert the ISO to a bootable USB, then boot into a live session. From there you should be able to mount and open your Windows drive by just selecting it in the file manager.

From your description of the problem it sounds like you picked up some nasty malware somewhere. Hopefully your files are okay.

Cellular Decay, Apr 30, 2016
  10. kongking Win User
    I had already tried to solve these issues via Knoppix and Tails. I am not able to mount the drive in Linux as its asking for Authentication.

I ll give the ISO boot into Live Session another try now. I am pretty sure that this problem is not caused by malware. thx

kongking, Apr 30, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like if the data is really important it's time to take the drive to a data restoration professional.

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2016
  13. kongking Win User

Hi. havent found a working solution yet. Via MiniTool Power Data I was able to move the needed files to a different HD but I am not able to access them. I do not have permission to do anything. It is also not possible to open those files. Windows 10 itself doesnt let me change Attributes or do anything to fix this problem. Most services aren't working, recovery, secure mode and all the other options are just breaking down, so via Win 10 I cant do anything. How can I gain permission or ownership for my files and folder via Knoppix?

kongking, May 2, 2016
  14. I'm not sure if this works for Windows 10, but in previous versions, I would connect the hard drive as an external to another working computer with the same username and password, and the files would be accessible. I would think that even if the username and password are different, you would still be able to take ownership of the files and move them.

DeaconFrost, May 2, 2016
  15. Maybe the reason you can’t access the files from Linux is that the file system wasn’t closed properly by Windows (assuming it’s NTFS). If it’s marked as being in an inconsistent state then the Linux driver won’t mount it to avoid corrupting data. Have you tried accessing the copied files from Linux?

You should also try to check the health of your hard drive. It could be a physical problem with the drive or the file system itself could be corrupted. A virus could also be involved.

It’s a little mystifying that Linux is asking you for authentication to mount the drive. If you’re doing it from a file manager (e.g. Nautilus, Nemo, Thunar) then it should just mount when you click on the device. Just to be clear, the drive isn’t encrypted with BitLocker is it?

Moilleadoir, May 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 system suicide - Similar Threads - system suicide

2. how do i restore my photos after my bitlocker system reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i restore my photos after my bitlocker system reset?: I had a bitlocker alert come up and it wouldnt let me get into my computer and once i reset my computer all my photos were lost, when i say reset , it had to be a factory reset and now ive lost all my photos which a lot of them were very important...
  3. how do i restore my photos after my bitlocker system reset?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i restore my photos after my bitlocker system reset?: I had a bitlocker alert come up and it wouldnt let me get into my computer and once i reset my computer all my photos were lost, when i say reset , it had to be a factory reset and now ive lost all my photos which a lot of them were very important...
  4. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...: I need to prevent one drive from using space on disk C. I have tried various solutions such as file on demand etc. to no avail. I have decided to simply remove one drive. But after unlinking, disinstalling and even after having emptied one drive of almost all files show 0.2 G...
  5. how do i restore my photos after my bitcoin lock system reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i restore my photos after my bitcoin lock system reset?: I had a bitcoin lock and once i reset my computer all my photos were lost, when i say reset , it had to be a factory reset and now ive lost all my photos which a lot of them were very important...
  6. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...: I need to prevent one drive from using space on disk C. I have tried various solutions such as file on demand etc. to no avail. I have decided to simply remove one drive. But after unlinking, disinstalling and even after having emptied one drive of almost all files show 0.2 G...
  7. how do i restore my photos after my bitcoin lock system reset?

how do i restore my photos after my bitcoin lock system reset?: I had a bitcoin lock and once i reset my computer all my photos were lost, when i say reset , it had to be a factory reset and now ive lost all my photos which a lot of them were very important...
  8. One drive folder still uses 80 GB in settings/system/storage after:...

9. System cannot find the path error message when scanning photo

System cannot find the path error message when scanning photo: I'm scanning photos with Panasonic's Image Capture Plus 1.4.0.15, using a Panasonic KV-S2046C scanner. I switched the output format from JP2 to JPEG, and after that scanning sometimes halts after the scanner runs a photo through, and then a popup appears saying "System Error!...
  10. System cannot find the path error message when scanning photo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System cannot find the path error message when scanning photo: I'm scanning photos with Panasonic's Image Capture Plus 1.4.0.15, using a Panasonic KV-S2046C scanner. I switched the output format from JP2 to JPEG, and after that scanning sometimes halts after the scanner runs a photo through, and then a popup appears saying "System Error!...