Windows 10: Windows 10 system unresponsive, hanging and programs not responding.

Discus and support Windows 10 system unresponsive, hanging and programs not responding. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey! I just did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10. My issue is that the system is unresponsive, programs are not responding.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Swinzon, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Swinzon Win User

Windows 10 system unresponsive, hanging and programs not responding.

Hey! I just did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10.
    My issue is that the system is unresponsive, programs are not responding.
    I took a video but I can`t seem to find any posibility to post it here, so you can`t see what I`m going through.
    It is really annoying, and it`s just messed up. Multitasking hangs, shows programs in the background and what not... What to do? *Sad((

I`m also thinking it is a memory leak, I have 25-30% RAM use after bootup....

System specs (Intel NUC DN2820)
    CPU: Intel Celeron N2830 Dual Core @ 2.4GHz
    SSD: Corsair Force GT 240GB
    RAM: Single 8GB Adata

:)

Swinzon, Oct 13, 2015
  2. Swinzon Win User

Windows 10 system unresponsive, programs not responding

It doesn`t happen all the time... It`s just sometimes. But I actually thinking it is a memory leak, I got 15-30% RAM use when booted from a complete shutdown...

Swinzon, Oct 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 system unresponsive, programs not responding

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

As the issue is intermittent, then having tried booting in safe mode, you can perform clean boot to eliminate the faulty service causing the issue.

Step 1: a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click
    ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option
    ‘Selective startup’
    , and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘StartUp’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’.
    In the Task Manager window under startup tab,
    right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services

a.
    Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services
    check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns.

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services
    check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns

If the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
    Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
    Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box
    in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem.

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the
    problem item.

Step 7: Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click
    ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click
    ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Hope the information is helpful. Please post back your results for further assistance.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 13, 2015
  4. Windows 10 system unresponsive, hanging and programs not responding.

TairikuOkami, Oct 13, 2015
  5. ayentata Win User
    Disable or untick the task view application by deselecting this when you right click on the task bar. This made things go back to normal for me. The task view button seems to eat up disk usage when running in the background.
    I hope this helps

ayentata, Oct 14, 2015
  6. Swinzon Win User
    Swinzon, Oct 14, 2015
  7. Swinzon Win User
    I believe it is, and I starting to think it is a memory leak....
    But I have not seen this problem before! I run the same OS on my fileserver and used the same USB stick to install WIndows 8.1 Pro (activated with two different keys) and upgraded!
    But it is not happening all the time....

Swinzon, Oct 14, 2015
  8. wessidemd Win User

nevermind... I thought it worked, but the problem is back. Mods please delete this. Thanks.

wessidemd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 system unresponsive, hanging and programs not responding. - Similar Threads - system unresponsive hanging

2. Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002: Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-stop-responding-with-application-hang/a19740b4-1929-473e-b1b7-f2c2e0968fa3
  3. Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002: Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/programs-stop-responding-with-application-hang/a19740b4-1929-473e-b1b7-f2c2e0968fa3
  4. Unresponsive programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unresponsive programs: I don’t seem to be able to get anything done as my Wins10 pc keeps showing programmes as not responding. Also runs slow and often seems to freeze I am getting really frustrated and need assistance please I am not really computer minded so solutions in plain English or...
  5. Unresponsive programs

Unresponsive programs: I don’t seem to be able to get anything done as my Wins10 pc keeps showing programmes as not responding. Also runs slow and often seems to freeze I am getting really frustrated and need assistance please I am not really computer minded so solutions in plain English or...
  6. Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002: Application HangI'm getting often Application hang 1002 freezes programs and it usually happens when I am gaming on my computer a game called zwift, I found another post about this topic where 'pommy lad' recommended the following 'Click control panel> system> advance system...
  7. Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002

Programs stop responding with application hang event 1002: Application HangI'm getting often Application hang 1002 freezes programs and it usually happens when I am gaming on my computer a game called zwift, I found another post about this topic where 'pommy lad' recommended the following 'Click control panel> system> advance system...
  8. Programs not responding - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs not responding - Windows 10: It started in the summer of 2020 after a large Windows update. Things work fine for a day or so and then everything starts freezing at every mouse click not responding. If sign out and reboot. the computer runs fine for another day or so. I disconnect from the Wifi each time...
  9. Windows 10 "program not responding"

Windows 10 "program not responding": Hey, I recently reinstalled Windows but it was fine for a bit then I got some programs then my PC started to Slow down. Then I keep getting this Error message "Program isn't responding" I changed settings to up performance like msconfig settings to Timeout time to 10 from...
  10. Frequent System Hangs any program

Frequent System Hangs any program: HI: I am seeing frequent hangs of varying times after reboot. Many times a few minutes after boot, often 15 minutes after boot, once as long as 5 hours till requested shutdown. Typically most activity freezes things, the mouse might still work but wont respond to a click,...