Windows 10: Windows 10 'System' using my internet

Discus and support Windows 10 'System' using my internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Since I installed Windows 10, I've been having the issue of this 'System' process constantly using my internet. It fluctuates between 20-70kb/s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phadey, Aug 3, 2015.

1. phadey Win User

Windows 10 'System' using my internet

Hi,

Since I installed Windows 10, I've been having the issue of this 'System' process constantly using my internet. It fluctuates between 20-70kb/s and as I have a 2MBps connection, it can at times make me lag during games/watching streams and so on. I have turned off the Windows Update option to share my updates with other people on the internet or my local network. I don't have any updates downloading and I can't manage to find out what's causing this. I'll give more information on request.

I have attached 2 screenshots to show what I'm talking about. Really hope someone will be able to help as so far this is the only thing that is making me dislike windows 10, its extremely frustrating. Thanks in advance.

:)

phadey, Aug 3, 2015

2. Service host: local system using my whole internet connection

Hi Loewen,

Thank you for updating us. I apologize for the delayed response. Let me help you.

I would suggest you to perform a virus scan on your computer.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

If you don’t have a third party antivirus software, I suggest you to schedule a system scan using Windows Defender and check if it helps.

Go through the below article and check if it helps.

Click on, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

I hope it helps. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Service host: local system using my whole internet connection

I reinstalled windows now, but I have still the problem. On my surface book is now no other software. The service is using still around 2.5Mbit/s so if I start my surface book I can't use any other internet services on any other device.

I have no problems with other computers in my household running windows 10 or windows 8.1.

Johann Löwen, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Akash Win User

I'm facing the same issue. The program 'svchost.exe' uses Internet too much and don't even show what is being done with that connection.

It takes too much data, almost 300 KB/sec. and do not let me open anything else. I've limited data pack and it is ruining it. :'(

Akash, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Ignoring the hour-long wade through Windows 10's absolutely ludicrous privacy-depriving features and not mentioning the sound bugs and other failures. The most infuriating thing about updating was the unabashed bandwidth-raping. I hate lag in games. I own a PC to game!

Assuming everyone here has already turned off all the other bullcrep, here is the solution to the stealth internet consumption. It is a result of Windows' new update distribution feature which uses people's computers to spread updates like a disease to other computers. This means that if it is turned on, and it is by default, then your PC will constantly download and upload data, helping to spread updates via P2P connections.

Here's where to turn it off:

Settings > Update & Security >Windows Update > Advanced Option > (Right here you want to select "Notify to schedule restart, this is off topic but probably for the better) > Choose how updates are delivered > turn it off.

NOW I have not tested this with a control yet. Before going here I already manually stopped the windows update service and Update orchestrator service. However after turning off this option the service local system or whatever the process is called in your Task Mngr immediately stopped using the network. Once I restart I'll test it again properly and update y'all, but I have a hunch that the option is the fix. I hope it works for you and that you can rid yourself of Windows' lag machine.

RobynHighart, Aug 7, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    I would make sure OneDrive is turned off too. That's all I had problems with.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2015
  7. *Update* I've rebooted my pc and I am not seeing any significant network usage (Highest system = 0.1 Mbps). This MAY be simply a result of low update activity or update completion.

I have also just realised that the solution I provided was one you have already tried. I didn't read your post carefully enough.

I have completely scoured the privacy/update/live settings and the solution I posted was my last step to complete freedom from Microsoft. I'm afraid you'll have to do the same. There may be something you missed. One suggestion would be to turn off all live tiles. Here's a tutorial on how to do that : How to Disable Live Tiles Feature for All Apps in Windows 8 and Later? - AskVG (I used the Registry Editor method. However I also manually disabled and uninstalled any live tiles that were visible. Candy Crush? Seriously, Microsoft?)

This guide on privacy in Windows 10 may also help, as everything that is putting your privacy in the trash is doing it with your bandwidth >>> Windows 10 doesn’t offer much privacy by default: Here’s how to fix it | Ars Technica

Good luck!

RobynHighart, Aug 7, 2015
  8. phadey Win User

Thanks everyone for the replies. I couldn't get it to stop using bandwidth so I just let windows update (again) and kept my pc running for a few days, everything seems fine now even after the new update yesterday. I haven't seen it using bandwidth again so it seems like it fixed itself. It's most likely just because it's a 'fresh' install of Windows 10. Still don't like the fact that windows updates can't be turned off though.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys taking the time to post some suggestions. Hope you have a nice day further *Smile

phadey, Aug 11, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 'System' using my internet - Similar Threads - 'System' using internet

2. Windows 10 system, internet & audio not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 system, internet & audio not working: Hello, yesterday after restarting my computer i noticed that i could no longer connect to the internet, and my audio no longer works, the system does not recognise any devices Also tried troubleshooting both but with no success, there was a red cmos light on my mobo so i...
  3. Windows 10 internet and system restore failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 internet and system restore failure: So for a while now my WiFi 1 has just been gone, and I have been using WiFi 2 just fine. Randomly today while playing a game, my internet for my pc just stopped working. One article suggested I try opening a command prompt in admin mode and typing ipconfig /flushdns...
  4. System is using WAY too much of my internet.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System is using WAY too much of my internet.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/OtaninYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jo0lof/system_is_using_way_too_much_of_my_internet/
  5. my whole internet is used by system thats my i am unable to use other apps

my whole internet is used by system thats my i am unable to use other apps: most of my internet is used by system even I am on metered network all I stop all the background app still system using my internet please help me to solve this issue...
  6. Can I use Windows 10 on my system?

Can I use Windows 10 on my system?: Recently I have been looking through my PC packaging and found out that my mainboard only supports Windows 7 or later. But after that I googled my motherboard and could choose Windows 10 as operating system to install drivers or something. The Windows 10 system requirements...
  7. "System" using alot of internet data

"System" using alot of internet data: "System" is using more than 5gb of internet data every day. Last month it used more than 250gb I get than Windows 10 is data demanding but still theres gotta be a solution to my problem Thanks for your help Thomas...
  8. System using my limited internet

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System using my limited internet: So my internet is going really slow, I open resource monitor and I see something called System sending/receiving about 9mb. Which is about my internet speed. I cant do much while this is happening and it happens all the damn time nowadays. Never had the problem with windows...
  9. who is using my internet

who is using my internet: how can I see who is using my internet connection , so I can monitor my childrens use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/who-is-using-my-internet/d30982e2-d5bc-4b12-b6e3-e71f8b6b4816
  10. Windows 10 "System" is using my data.

Windows 10 "System" is using my data.: Hi! I've been noticing high data usage from an app called "SYSTEM" on windows 10. I have limited data and I can't work while having the thought of my money being used on unwanted things. Any solutions?...