Windows 10: Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.

Discus and support Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop has windows 10 enterprise 64bit build 1703 and it is on company domain and bitlocker encryption is enabled on SSD. Sometime but not all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by m1xed0s, Jul 16, 2017.

1. m1xed0s Win User

Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.

My laptop has windows 10 enterprise 64bit build 1703 and it is on company domain and bitlocker encryption is enabled on SSD.

Sometime but not all the time, laptop takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. Did the sfc scan and found nothing. An interesting thing I found is: if I pull out the power adapter while stuck in reboot, shutdown or logout, the laptop almost immediately finishes the action correspondingly...

Any idea why?

:)

m1xed0s, Jul 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

I have the same issue, shutdown and start is normal. But it's take a long time to reboot ( about 4,5min) to show up windows login again.

Tran Hong Danh, Jul 16, 2017
  3. Laptop takes too long time to reboot to desktop on Windows 10

Hi David,

As per the description I understand that you are facing issues with booting the laptop to desktop as it is taking long time. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know the make and model of your laptop?
    • What is the current version Windows 10 installed on your laptop?

This issue might have occurred due to incorrect settings to startup the device. Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if
    Fast Startup
    option on your device is enabled.

Fast startup is a new feature in Windows to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system
    information) to hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC.

Steps:

• Press Windows +
      X
      key and click Control Panel.
    • Click on Power options.
    • Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. If it prompts to click on yes, then click
      Yes.
    • Make sure Turn on fast startup (Recommended)
      option is Enabled/ check marked under shutdown settings.
    • If not, check mark it and click Save changes
      to configure the settings.

Step 2: Run the Power Troubleshooter

Power troubleshooter find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extent battery life

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search bar on the desktop and press Enter.

• In the Troubleshooting window, click on
      View All on the left pane.

• Click on Power.

• Click on Advanced and then click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Hope it helps you to boot the system faster. Let us know for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 16, 2017
  4. dmex Win User

If it's a laptop then it'll likely be caused by a faulty device driver... Try enabling the "Detailed Status Messages" option and post the name for the component taking the longest time to execute:
    Detailed Status Messages - Logon, Logoff, and Shutdown

Note: That method is for all versions of Windows not just Vista.

5. m1xed0s Win User
    I tried local group policy editor but mine doesnot even have the option for "Verbose vs normal status messages".

m1xed0s, Jul 17, 2017
  6. dmex Win User
    Looks like it was renamed "Display highly detailed status messages" on Windows 10:
    https://i.imgur.com/Q8KXLJS.png

7. m1xed0s Win User
    Thanks, I now have that option enabled. Can I ask which section in event viewer should contain these related logs, the system under Windows Logs?

m1xed0s, Jul 17, 2017
  8. dmex Win User

The status messages are shown during logoff/shutdown/reboot and there's no information added to the log file... The status messages simply show what's happening during logoff/shutdown/reboot and help identify the component responsible for the long shutdown duration (e.g. Windows Update, DCOM, User profile service etc).

If you can name the component causing the long shutdown then it'll be easier to say what's likely the root cause *Wink

9. m1xed0s Win User
    Got you *Smile I will reboot to see if any slowness happening and report back. Mine does not happen all the time though...

m1xed0s, Jul 17, 2017
  10. m1xed0s Win User
    Okey tried shutdown and reboot, no issue at all. Pretty quick. But now stuck on signing out... no further messages on screen other than just spinning dots on top of "signing out".

Plus I tried to unplug power adapter and this time did not help either...

Advise?

m1xed0s, Jul 17, 2017
  11. dmex Win User
    Not sure. The logoff process is difficult to diagnose without an idea where to look for the cause especially if you don't have any debugging experience - generally it's some form of corruption caused by software you've installed (e.g. software with drivers and/or OEM utilities) or something that's happened during an upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

In this case it's just quicker and easier to reinstall Windows than to make random suggestions trying to solve it... If you still have the issue after reinstalling then it's probably hardware related.

12. m1xed0s Win User
    Reinstalling is not an easy option for me...Fotunatelt slowness does not happen all the time.

m1xed0s, Jul 19, 2017
  13. Ssjx2 Win User

If u use a Solid state drive on ur windows , be sure the SuperFetch process is turned OFF , if u have a normal HDD be sure it is ENABLED.

here is a link that can learn u how to enable/disable it

Windows 10, 8 7: Enable or Disable Superfetch

Do note it may take up to 3 days for it to become visible (its effects)

Ssjx2, Jul 21, 2017
  14. m1xed0s Win User
    I thought I saw an article regarding the SuperFetch is disabled automatically if windows detects the SSS.

m1xed0s, Jul 22, 2017
  15. Ssjx2 Win User
    Yes it should , but this is not always the case (my friend has an SSD and it was enabled which is really bad as it will damage the SSD)

Ssjx2, Jul 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. - Similar Threads - takes long reboot

2. Windows 10 startup AND shutdown/reboot times insanely long after windows update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 startup AND shutdown/reboot times insanely long after windows update.: Windows update may have failed. But there was no indication of it other than a Error in the EventViewer.Computer now takes 20 MINUTES to boot, and 5 MINUTES to shut down. Before I did this last windows update, it would take 5 seconds.I've disabled non-system startup...
  3. Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown: Hello. I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. OS: Windows 10 Pro; Version: 20H2; OS build: 19042.685 And I have the following issues: 1. Windows restart time takes approx....
  4. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown: Hi. I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can still use the computer in that time and then eventually I get the shut down screen with the rotating dots and the computer...
  5. Long reboot and shutdown time after updating to KB4566116

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long reboot and shutdown time after updating to KB4566116: Hello, I've noticed that after updating to the optional KB4566116 Windows 10 update August 2020, that the reboot and shutdown times can become excruciatingly long, upwards of 10 minutes while the circle dots keep spinning above "Restart" or "Shutting down". Has anyone...
  6. Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown

Windows 10 Laptop takes too long to shutdown: Of late whenever I shutdown my laptop, it takes so long to completely shutdown. So when I shutdown , everything seems fine and the screen turns off, but the laptop itself is still on, implying its still shutting down. Earlier on it took only seconds before it completely...
  7. Windows 10 takes really long to reboot

Windows 10 takes really long to reboot: Hello, I have a problem with windows 10 rebooting. It takes 15-25 minutes for windows to load. After it loads, the PC is fast and I don't have any problems. If I shutdown the PC and then power it back on with fast startup enabled it takes only 2-5 seconds for windows 10 to...
  8. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.: Hi. I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new computer (self-built) the other week. It's been running very nicely, very very quick. Well, it all seemed to be working OK at least, until a few days ago it randomly started to hang when I was shutting the computer down. And it's done...
  9. Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10

Long shutdown and restart time in Windows 10: That will certainly fix the issue. Thank you. I updated the windows 10 to Build 16299.371 and it shuts off much faster than before however Restart still takes a lot of time. Pretty much happy with the performance as well. Lets see how Windows 10 April update performs.
  10. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown: I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very long time, during which the disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 reboot takes long

2. windows 10 reboot takes long time

3. windows 10 kernel takes long time to reboot

4. windows 10 logout takes 10 minutes