Windows 10: Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup

Discus and support Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop: Dell Inspiron N5110 with 2.50 gHz Intel Core i5-2450M processor, 500 GB HDD, 6 GB memory. OS: Starting from OEM installed Windows 7 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by amitg43, May 11, 2016.

1. amitg43 Win User

Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup

My laptop: Dell Inspiron N5110 with 2.50 gHz Intel Core i5-2450M processor, 500 GB HDD, 6 GB memory.
    OS: Starting from OEM installed Windows 7 Pro (x64), my upgrades to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 went smoothly with some minor hiccups and my system is now Windows 10 Pro (X64) upgrade to 1511 build 10586 installed on Apr 25, 2016.

Following MS hotfixes have been installed thereafter:
    KB3116278 and KB3142588 on Apr 25
    KB3140741, KB3147458 and KB 3154132 on Apr 29

Both MBAM and Windows Defender, updated till May 7, do not show any virus activity.

Problem:
    After Dell welcome screen and then a blue screen with Windows icon lasting only 1-2 sec, another blue screen appears with those 6 marbles spinning in a circle! This screen lasts for about 100 minutes (yes, 1 hr. 40 min) and only then I get Windows logon screen. Thereafter, everything (at least those I use mostly) seems to work normally.

Windows 10 latest update is not a culprit as there was no such problem till about April 30, but I do not remember what else I did thereafter.

My observations:
    Through msconfig, when I select "Diagnostic startup", booting takes only a few seconds though many services don't get launched. "ntbtlog.txt" shows BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED for dxgkrnl.sys and WdFilter.sys. When trying "Selective startup" (default, and even if I select Normal startup, it goes back to default), ntbtlog.txt shows BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED for dxgkrnl.sys (5 times, though once under BOOTLOG_LOADED), WdFilter.sys (twice), NDProxy.sys (4 times), and Condrv.sys (once).

Through EventViewer > Windows logs > System, I found that out of nearly 100 minutes' boot time, about 95 minutes were due to Error from source "Service Control Manager" (event ID 7023) appearing every 5 minutes and the event description showed "The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error: General access denied error".

The aforesaid display was interspersed with Warning event IDs 1, 28 and 414 and Error event IDs 7031, 10010 and 10016.

I tried to restore to the only earlier point of May 3, but the problem essentially remained the same.

If you have any suggestion, please spell it out step-by-step as I'm not very computer savvy.

:)

amitg43, May 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 taking very long time to upgrade.

I am trying to upgrade to Window 10 but i am experiencing the following problem:

After downloading of Window 10 (it took approximately 3-4 hours) there was a massage it is ready for upgrade. After I clicked on upgrade the windows update shows massage "Preparing for the upgrade. Please wait. I was waiting for several hours and nothing
    happened. Please help.

Thanks,

Michael.

Michael M. 1989, May 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 taking very long time to upgrade.

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Since the system has stuck at updating state, I suggest you to unplug all the external devices except the basics(e.g. keyboard/mouse) if there are any and check if it helps.

If the issue persist, I would suggest that you perform Power Drain and check if you access or stop the loop from reappearing. To perform
    Power Drain follow the steps below:

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system.
    Write to us with the status of the issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, I suggest trying the standard repairs.
    First, open an elevated command prompt:
    Windows key + X, Click command prompt (admin).
    Type
    chkdsk C: /F <return>
    Your PC will restart.
    Post back the result, which will be on the screen briefly.
    Otherwise you can get the result as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

If ok, open an elevated command prompt:
    Windows key + X, Click command prompt (admin).
    Type
    sfc /scannnow <return>

Wait and post the results. (Often this will fail- the latest Win update is said to have solved some MS problems).
    If it fails and the only failures shown in the log file are
    opencl.dll (Nvidia related) or some sound files, you can ignore the failure report.

Note that a very strongly recommended way of giving you a means of recovering your PC to a working state relatively quickly and without technical help is disk imaging (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + large enough external storage).

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup [​IMG]

To rule out a corrupted user account, you could create a new user account, with admin privileges. Move your data over to that user account, then delete the original user account. Reboot and see if the long wait for login is gone. Dalchina's suggestions are also useful.

simrick, May 11, 2016
  6. amitg43 Win User
    A part of output from running services.msc is shown.

Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup [​IMG]

Does it indicate any problem with Microsoft Passport Container Service as I get it?

amitg43, May 11, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Microsoft Passport Container: Manages local user identity keys used to authenticate user to identity providers as well as TPM virtual smart cards. If this service is disabled, local user identity keys and TPM virtual smart cards will not be accessible. It is recommended that you do not reconfigure this service.

You indicated in post #1
    This is why I suggested creating a new user account, to determine if the existing user account is corrupt. I would create a new local admin account, move your data over to it, and delete the existing user account.

Then I would follow up with dalchina's suggestions.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 taking very long to complete startup - Similar Threads - taking very long

2. Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup: Hello Guys.My computer started a while ago Taking TOO long to open like 2 - 5 minutes and that's absolutely UnacceptableI've tried so many things like factory reset the laptop But Nothing worksMy computer components : Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 960MProcessor : intel...
  3. Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Takes Too Long To Startup: Hello Guys.My computer started a while ago Taking TOO long to open like 2 - 5 minutes and that's absolutely UnacceptableI've tried so many things like factory reset the laptop But Nothing worksMy computer components : Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 960MProcessor : intel...
  4. Windows Update Taking Very Long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Taking Very Long: Hi, just wanted to know if this is normal. I’m trying to update my laptop but it’s taking a very long time on the ‘Working on updates’ screen. It is going up but extremely slowly (currently on 10%). Just wanted to know if this is normal for some updates. I’ve had no problems...
  5. Windows taking too long at startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows taking too long at startup: I have been facing a problem with windows recenty, it takes way too long to boot then it used to, this started a few days ago now it takes amost 10 minutes. Even after it starts all the desktop icons and taskbar icons take another 5 minutes to show up....
  6. Windows 10 Welcome screen takes a very long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Welcome screen takes a very long time: My BIOS times are 3.4 to 4.1 seconds, however the "Welcome" screen takes at least 30 seconds before my laptop can boot to desktop. My laptop has been getting slower and slower lately and it hasn't been over 2 years since I have bought it. I have been getting lower fps in...
  7. windows 10 update taking very long time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update taking very long time: how to shut down computer and restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-taking-very-long-time/e43c1901-1157-4f38-a45b-24c602654244
  8. Update to Windows 10 1903 taking a very long time

Update to Windows 10 1903 taking a very long time: The download took about half an hour, but the install has been running for nearly 8 hours and is now on 91%. Will it finish if I leave the laptop on overnight or should I just turn it off now? What will happen when I try to turn on if I crash out of the install?...
  9. Startup is taking too long

Startup is taking too long: Recently I turned my Toshiba Satellite laptop off incorrectly by pressing the power button for a hard shutdown. Once I turned it back on, it went straight into scan and repair mode for the C drive. That process took over 6 hours to complete. Once I got to the sign in screen,...
  10. Searching for updates takes very long

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Searching for updates takes very long: Hi, Since today manually searching for updates takes unusually long. Is something wrong with the microsoft servers at the moment? Anyone else have that problem? Was planning to set up my laptop today but I will wait a bit if the update servers are wonky right now. 84565