Windows 10: Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working

Discus and support Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, For some reason, when I restarted my computer, my start button does not work, I click it and nothing happens. I can't even adjust my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marky, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Marky Win User

Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working

Greetings,

For some reason, when I restarted my computer, my start button does not work, I click it and nothing happens.
    I can't even adjust my volume nor set my wifi connections.
    I've tried multiple fixes, using this command: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml"} on powershell, resetting the services using a batch file which can be found in the attachments if you're interested, using sfc /scannow, restoring the image using the following commands: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth + Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 (F:\sources\install.wim), shutting down explorer.exe then restarting my PC, creating a new account, etc.
    Is there any other solution that may fix my issue?

Regards,

:)

Marky, Jul 2, 2016

2. windows 10 - start button and taskbar not working

Hi All,

Having a similar issue to many here. Today, I turn on my computer and notice:

1. screen resolution seems to have increased i.e. icons are now half the size the were yesterday

2. start button does not work with either left or right click.

3. taskbar does not show icons of open apps, but does allow right click e.g. to open task manager

4. time has disappeared from taskbar

5. windows key does not open start menu and does not work for the following shortcuts that i have tried:

W + D, W + A, W + S, W + C.

6. Windows key does work for W + R, W + L.

7. cortana does not work

Have searched the forums and have tried the following, without complete success:

in cmd as admin, run sfc/scannow = no issues

set firewall to on.

open powershell as admin and run Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

received many errors and the same issues as above continue.

tried creating a new account:

• Press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape] to start Task Manager.
    • Click File -> Run new task.
    • Type "cmd" into the Run dialog, tick Create this task with administrative privileges and click [OK].
    • A command prompt window should open.
    • Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net user Admin123 MyPassword /add
    • Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
    • Log off and login to the new Admin123 account. If it works correctly, you can migrate your data to the new user account. You are welcome to replace "Admin123" with your username of choice (just enclose it in quotes if it has a space, and be sure to use
      the same name in both commands). The login password will be "MyPassword". You can easily change it later.
    • Log off
    • Log on on new account
    • done *

result was that taskbar worked in the new account, but the start button still did not.

my laptop came with 8.1 and i upgraded to 10.

need a solution from MS.

thanks,

J.

UPDATE - SOLUTION FOR MY ISSUE:

just tried a restart in safemode. to do this, i pressed windows key + L (if you windows key does not work, you can do ctrl + alt + delete to navigate to the switch user page). once in safe mode, everything worked. I then restarted as normal and everything
    worked.

groovycat78, Jul 2, 2016
  3. windows 10 - start button and taskbar not working

Try installing any pending updates. This happened to me ages ago and an update fixed it.

btw im not microsoft

Question asker not Question solver, Jul 2, 2016
  4. Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working

It is extremely difficult to analyze a full set of services. The batch file did a wholesale reset and I'm not prepared to check each and every default service setting against what the batch file thought was the default setting. I'd have to install Win10 fresh to do that ... that's not going to happen *Wink

There might be something int he tutorials section or on another site (Black Viper has a table here: Black Viper Black Viper | www.blackviper.com - but then I'd still have to depend on the accuracy of that site)

It sounds as though you tried the most common trouble shooting (the svcs batch file is questionable - it might be fine, I just won't take the time to check that).

I think you've tried most of these: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana

The new account you cereated, was it a local admin?

and this is also from the MS page, I put it here to highlight it.
    Try the troubleshooter
    For assisted support, try this Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.
    See if the troubleshooter helps

Toggle Start - full screen
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-s...een-windows-10

Toggle Tablet Mode and Start Screen
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable...-in-windows-10
    See if toggling these settings helped.

I might have some other suggestions from a search - I'll only post things that sound promising and that you have not already tried.

There's always these to consider:

Refresh recovery: Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums (keep my files)
    and
    Repair install: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    step 4: To do a repair install of Windows 10 with an ISO file
    -- OR --
    step 5: To do a repair install of Windows 10 with USB installation media
    Please update the Systems Specs in your forum profile with complete information.

• In the System Manufacturer/Model Number field, manually type Desktop or Laptop adding it to the information already in the field. The specific model number is important - there are often many models of a given series.
      For example, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6, but there are tens of the dv6 series, so dv6-6c10us is the specific model.

• Specify Custom Build as the manufacturer if it is not an OEM machine.
    The easiest way to do this is to use the information from a PUBLISHED Speccy report.
    See: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Post the link to the report that Speccy gives you and also open the Speccy link.
    Then click here to view your System Specs on this forum.

When you have both windows open, put them side-by-side and simply copy the information, field by field, from the Speccy report to your System Specs.

To see what information other members provide in their System Specs, click on My System Specs in the lower left of any post by any member.

Thanks

Slartybart, Jul 3, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Jul 3, 2016
  6. Marky Win User
    Greetings,

Thank you for replying to this thread.

I've already tried some the solutions that you mentioned including:

• Using the troubleshooter from MS.
    • Toggle Start - full screen
    • Toggle Tablet Mode and Start Screen

And yes, the account I created was local admin, the start button and taskbar still didn't work.

After using the troubleshooter, I get this error:

Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working [​IMG]

("Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.")

I checked my processes and ShellExperienceHost.exe is not even running.
    I really don't want to do an in-place upgrade since it deletes all the programs I have installed, there must be a different solution.

Regards.

Marky, Jul 4, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    An in-place upgrade (repair) will not delete your user installed apps. Using the ISO, mount it (open with explorer), run Setup.exe as Administrator. When you get to this screen, make sure the top option is dotted.

f14tomcat, Jul 4, 2016
  8. Marky Win User

Greetings,

I actually thought it would uninstall my programs but it didn't, even my shortcuts were still intact and my issue is solved, I just had to reinstall my drivers and that was it. Thank you so much!

Regards.

Marky, Jul 4, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Good news, Marky! Might want to check your System Protection also, if you use Restore Points. Search for "Restore", choose the option at top, Create a Restore Point, if the "C" drive is OFF and you want it ON, highlight the line for the "C" drive, click Configure, check the box to turn it on, slide the blue slider to around 8-10 %, apply, ok, ok, and close it. Glad it all worked for you! TC

f14tomcat, Jul 4, 2016
  10. Marky Win User
    Greetings,

Thank you for letting me know, I'll make sure to do that.
    I'll also create a restore point just in case something like this happens in the future.

Regards.

Marky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 taskbar and start button not working - Similar Threads - taskbar start button

2. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  3. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working: Hi everyone I have just recently started to experience this issue from reading other posted it would appear to be a fairly common occurrence " Start button and search button of the taskbar not working "As suggested on the post below I have followed each instruction but I...
  4. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.

in Cortana
    Start button and search button of the taskbar not working.: My PC start and search button of the taskbar is not functioning. Whenever I clicked on start and search button, nothing happens, there is no start menu and no search dialogue box on clicking those buttons. However, when I hover on the start and search buttons, they display...
  6. Start button and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button and taskbar not working: Hi. Windows 10 Home , 64 bit now showing "critical error, your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". I've triedeverything from running powershell in task manager, try to reinstall windows apps, trying to reset the pc, running windows...
  7. Windows start button, and taskbar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start button, and taskbar not working: I have a surface pro 5 running Windows 10, I was unable to logon due to a Group Policy service not starting. I ran a number of suggested fixes without success. I have now reinstalled Windows 10 (keeping my files option). I can now log in, but the start button does not work,...
  8. Start Button and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Button and taskbar not working: Please help. Windows 10 has worked pretty well since installing it a couple of months ago but last week suddenly the taskbar is empty and start button not working. I tried the powershell idea but as nothing shows up in the taskbar I can't run as administrator. I'm 62 years...
  9. Taskbar/Start button not working!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start button not working!: I have Window 10, just upgraded it was working great I turned my computer off and went to bed last night. Today I turn it on and now when I click the start button or windows key. The mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able...
  10. Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING: Hello, I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10. I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my task bar are not working. For example, when I click on the "Action Center" nothing pops up, or when I click on the WiFi...