Windows 10: Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding

Discus and support Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Windows Icon and Search Windows tabs no longer respond. Restarting the Window Explorer process In task manager didn't work. Creating a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MartinEggman, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding

The Windows Icon and Search Windows tabs no longer respond.

Restarting the Window Explorer process In task manager didn't work.

Creating a new task of PowerShell with admin rights and entering the code; ''Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}'' Doesn't seem to work, I get 4 separate messages In red telling me the software Is already Installed or a higher version has been found.

Running the command prompt and entering SFC /scannow didn't work.

I've tried everything on this thread How to fix taskbar search problems in Windows 10 but none have worked, any Ideas?

Even a system restore doesn't work.

:)

MartinEggman, Jun 21, 2017

2. windows 10 taskbar not responding

I can't right click on the icon on the task bar for administration privileges, so I can't use this solution.

Sherrie 8900--=-=, Jun 21, 2017
  3. Windows 10 taskbar not responding

This is the error I get

Needless to repeat that my taskbar is not working at all.

This is happening on a Microsoft Surface Book, running a fully patched Windows 10

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add

-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.

error 0x80070002: Windows cannot register the package because of an internal error or low memory.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 6166404b-7563-0000-af7c-66616375d101 in the Event Log or use

the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 6166404b-7563-0000-af7c-66616375d101

At line:1 char:94

+ ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Erwin Van den Bunder, Jun 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding

Hi, I guess the question you want to ask is 'what can I try next?'

History please:
    When was your PC last working?
    What might have led to these problems?
    - a lightning storm and the power cut out
    - I did x and then....
    - there was some update or other
    etc. Clues are welcome.

1. Which build of Windows are you running?
    Windows key + R + winver.

Note: the Anniversary edition is 14393, the Creator's edition is 15063.

What was the error number reported?

What was the report?
    Did you run this from an admin (elevated) command prompt?
    If not, please try it again.

For clarity, do you mean the Cortana search box (often but not always displayed on the taskbar)?

5. Please check your disk.
    Now you may not be able to install and run programs given what you describe.

If you can, please download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    If not, please download and create a bootable disk - Kyhi's disk, Win 10 + utilities, is available from the top of the Software and Apps section here. Boot your PC using that disk, run HD Tune and post a screenshot of its GUI.

--------------------------
    My guess is you will need to do an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data but to do that, we need first to check the build of Windows you are running.

dalchina, Jun 21, 2017
  5. My PC was last working yesterday but the problem started after I ran a scan on Adsfix, I'd never ran It before but many others had downloaded It.

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393. 1358) of Windows 10 Professional.

I don't remember seeing a error number after the failed System Restore attempt(s) I'd tried different restore times, some manual and some by the system all had the same outcome.

I ran the Scannow as admin, windows states there were corrupted files but couldn't fix them and more Information can be found In a CBS.log

I can no longer type to search In the Cortana/Windows Search Tab, Windows Logo popup box and the Notifications tab are all unresponsive.

I ran a Hard Disk Sentinel on my SSD where Windows Is Installed.

Is this a correct Image or something else? https://i.imgur.com/YctnK5xh.jpg?1

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi.
    I see:

Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding [​IMG]

- so no.

This is what I hope to see- and this is how to post a screenshot here:
    to post a screenshot, please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

We need to know your disk is ok before attempting repairs.

2. I have searched for Adsfix to find out what that's about. It seems to be some sort of toolbar removal tool (and more).
    3. Can you please post the CBS log - zip it, then post as an attachment?
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

4. Please retry System Restore to get the error number and post it.
    There are fixes for a couple of common error messages.
    If System Restore will run, this is your best option.

5. I guess this adsfix program doesn't have any sort of 'undo' feature.

6. We constantly and strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. using Macrium Reflect (free). Do you have any disk images or system image you can use to restore your system?

dalchina, Jun 21, 2017
  7. Hopefully this Isn't too big, I added the CBS.log attachment In a zip. I shall do the system restore now and post an Edit.

Adsfix did have a restore files and folders option, but some I had to recover manually.

8. dalchina New Member

That's good- but I can't see the attachment.

To attach a file, Go advanced (below your post) then use the added paperclip attachment icon above

dalchina, Jun 21, 2017
  9. Okay, I did go Into advance and select my attachment but I may have missed something. I'll try and add It here.

More Information about the System Restore, the source Is telling me It's AppxStaging and It's Destination Is %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps, an unspecified error occured during the system restore. (0x80070091)

EDIT: CBS.Log should be up now, had some Issues.

10. dalchina New Member
    Good... that's the standard fixable error- I started a post on that which has had 100,000+ views in which someone cleverly found a fix.

System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091 - Page 28 - Windows 10 Forums

Post 4,5 for example.

(Note: this problem is reported as fixed in an update to the Creator's build)

I suggest you try to get System Restore going,and fix your initial reported problem, then there does seem to be work to be done on your system files.
    Looking ahead, if you get the problem created by using adsfix reversed, would you be willing to
    a. create a disk image (for defensive & backup purposes)
    b. upgrade to the Creator's build (which should solve your system file problems if the upgrade succeeds)?

dalchina, Jun 21, 2017
  11. I'm on Safe mode right now going through the Command Prompt procedure as admin, the first line: takeown /f "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d y Is unable to specify.
    Granting admin rights to myself, processed 0 files and Failed 0.
    icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant YOURUSERNAME:F /t
    rd /s "C:\Program Files\Windows Apps"The code to delete the folder gives Y/N I type Y but that doesn't work as It can't find the file specified.

How easy Is It to upgrade to the Creators Build?

12. Running the Windows 10 update fixed my taskbar It's now back to normal, I downloaded the Windows 10 Upgrade program from the Microsoft website and let It do It's thing. I am now version 1703 (OS Build 15063. 413)

Thanks for all the help, was In a tight spot there.

13. dalchina New Member

Good, if the Creator's works for you that's fine. You'll probably get another update or so as well.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Taskbar Not Responding - Similar Threads - Taskbar Responding

2. Win 11 taskbar not responding on start up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 taskbar not responding on start up.: Whenever I start my PC Win11, my taskbar is unresponsive. However, if I open say, a Word document from my desktop , then open Task Manager and close the Word document, my taskbar works fine. Any ideas?...
  3. Win 11 taskbar not responding on start up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 taskbar not responding on start up.: Whenever I start my PC Win11, my taskbar is unresponsive. However, if I open say, a Word document from my desktop , then open Task Manager and close the Word document, my taskbar works fine. Any ideas?...
  4. Wifi option not present on the taskbar and network settings not running/responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi option not present on the taskbar and network settings not running/responding.: I am new to the laptops, I have been using the laptop for last 1 month, everything was fine until recently, when my laptop started to show blue screen and restarting again and again, after 3 to 4 days, it stopped but the wifi option was not on the task bar and when I tried to...
  5. Wifi option not present on the taskbar and network settings not running/responding.

Wifi option not present on the taskbar and network settings not running/responding.: I am new to the laptops, I have been using the laptop for last 1 month, everything was fine until recently, when my laptop started to show blue screen and restarting again and again, after 3 to 4 days, it stopped but the wifi option was not on the task bar and when I tried to...
  6. Wifi option not present on the taskbar and network settings not running/responding.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Taskbar not responding in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not responding in Windows 11: None of the items on the taskbar work except the pinned applications like browsers and such. Pressing the Windows key does not open the start menu. Clicking on the internet, sound, or Windows Defender icon does nothing. After repeatedly tapping on them a message appears...
  8. Taskbar not responding in Windows 11

Taskbar not responding in Windows 11: None of the items on the taskbar work except the pinned applications like browsers and such. Pressing the Windows key does not open the start menu. Clicking on the internet, sound, or Windows Defender icon does nothing. After repeatedly tapping on them a message appears...
  9. Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything: Hello,I've been having an ongoing issue that's been affecting multiple users who share the same PC in the same office.Ever since a week ago, the Search Box in Taskbar has been unresponsive and users aren't allowed to type/search anything on it. Something I've noticed is the...
  10. Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything

Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything: Hello,I've been having an ongoing issue that's been affecting multiple users who share the same PC in the same office.Ever since a week ago, the Search Box in Taskbar has been unresponsive and users aren't allowed to type/search anything on it. Something I've noticed is the...