Windows 10: Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

Discus and support Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, last night my internal hard drive is working fine but today when I want to access my hard drive windows said: [img] then I tried to chkdsk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by n4rvto, Jan 21, 2018.

1. n4rvto Win User

Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

Hi, last night my internal hard drive is working fine but today when I want to access my hard drive windows said:

Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable [​IMG]

then I tried to chkdsk the hard drive, but aborted:

when I open the hard drive properties, the result is blank:

then I tried to error checking, windows said:

here is the status in disk management:

Anyway, my hard drive is WD Green 1.5TB, about 8 years old. Please help me to find a solution to fix this issue, thank you!

:)

n4rvto, Jan 21, 2018
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 21, 2018
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 21, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI showing its assessment of your E:

Other possibilities: hardware interface, cabling, connector...

Thanks.

Note that searching for your error message
    gives plenty of results which could point you in the right direction. E.g. these which do have an outcome using certain tools.
    [SOLVED] File or directory is corrupted or unreadable - Tech Support Forum
    unable to determine volume version and state.

dalchina, Jan 21, 2018
  5. n4rvto Win User
    Hi again dalchina! Here's the result as you requested:
    - Overview

- Temperature

Is there any information that you can enlighten me from that result?
    And for your another suggestions I will reply it later, because I'm still in my workdays. Thank you!

n4rvto, Jan 23, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, it looks as if it's suspect- I would suggest you make sure you have a full backup, else rescue what you can and consider a new disk.

dalchina, Jan 23, 2018
  7. n4rvto Win User
    I already recover some of files from that disk with data recovery software. But, is there any way to fix the hard drive? without format or losing any data from it? thank you.

n4rvto, Jan 23, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

You can't fix a dying drive. HDDs come with redundant sectors and these are automatically reallocated in normal operation invisibly to the user.

In your case there are additional warnings.

We constantly recommend people use disk imaging routinely - compressed copies of Windows partitions, disks and partitions- copied to an external disk.

This means you can recover easily without technical help even if your disk fails, your PC becomes unbootable (due to disk or file related problems). E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). Images also act as full backups.

dalchina, Jan 23, 2018
  9. n4rvto Win User
    Okay then. But, have you heard before software named SpinRite and HDD Regenerator? are that softwares is worth to try? because there are some files that important is still not recovered by data recovery software. Thank you!

n4rvto, Jan 23, 2018
  10. Porthos Win User
    IF the files are important to you STOP and send it to a data recover company. The more you mess with it the worse it gets and reduces the chance of a sucessful data recovery. You will never "fix" that drive. The tools you mention are mostly snake oil. I would make a sector by sector clone with a program called ddrescue and work only from that clone to recover your files.

Porthos, Jan 23, 2018
  11. lx07 Win User
    No. Not worth a try. It will make it worse.

What would you say if I suggested you send me the old disk, a new disk and $500 to copy one to the other? You can pay postage obviously and I'll keep the $500 anyway.

If you had any sense you would say "no thank you, I will copy it myself (and ask how if I don't know)".

That is what these forums are for - to help you not waste money or get scammed.

12. jumanji Win User
    If you consider that the data is not worth paying for Professional Recovery , then Porthos above suggestion is the next best thing you can try.

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-...-recovery.html

You may have to do some more research on it since that thread is dated and was only a starter to begin with.

jumanji, Jan 23, 2018
  13. EdTittel Win User

I bought and used the MiniTool Power Data Recovery for $89 one time when I "accidentally" (unwittingly, actually) reformatted a hard disk with valuable data on it. It worked like a charm, but that was on a working drive that I had messed with, not on a failing drive with hardware problems. All things considered, if you really, really need that data, you should follow the advice from @Porthos and send it to a data recovery company for professional recovery. Otherwise, walk away and spend your money on a new drive, and resolve to learn from experience.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 23, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    To be honest though you could have just recreated the partition table. All the data was still there - formatting a drive doesn't delete it. If it was GPT you could even just copy the backup partition table from the end to the start of the disk.

The OP has a problem with a failing disk. The only sensible thing to do is copy it all (or all that is left) to a new one. dd would be the obvious choice - failing that Macrium will do a sector copy to a new disk (including unreadable or corrupted blocks).

Running recovery apps (even if they work) is a bad idea if the disk is failing. Better to copy it then run some free thing like 18 Free Data Recovery Software Tools (January 2018) on the new copy.

15. EdTittel Win User
    I agree with lx07, as I tried to say in my previous post to this thread. Given hardware issues, if professional recovery is out of the question, the only way to recover anything is to copy what can be copied from the old, failing drive onto a newer, non-failing one. End of story, I think,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable - Similar Threads - disk structure corrupted

2. Corrupted and Unreadable Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted and Unreadable Drive: Hello, I wanted to talk about my drive that has suddenly stopped working.My D drive has suddenly stopped and whenever I click it, it says its corrupted and unreadable.It was working just fine the day before and now it no longer works. I use an external drive, so I tried...
  3. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. - Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. - Error: Windows Version: Windows 10, Dev (OS Build 21390.1010) On another computer - Windows Version: Windows 7, 6.1 (Compilation 7601: Service Pack 1) Hi guys! I've got a big problem with my school/private drive. Today morning I've tried to connect my drive to my laptop, and there...
  4. Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10: Need some help figuring out why the following is happening. I have a Vectotech 4 TB USC-C SSD that is connected to a USB-C port on my PC running windows 10. Multiple times now - after a reboot or other unknown issue - the drive becomes inaccessible with the above error...
  5. F:\ is not accessible . the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. CHKDSK problems

F:\ is not accessible . the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. CHKDSK problems: lately a couple of my hard drives have been getting this error come up and I can just chkdsk F: /r /f or w/e but this on is a bit different it has error codes and some other stuff Im trying to save it without wiping it coz I messed up and didn't back up anything so any help...
  6. Everything is ok but windows 10 says disk structure is corrupted

Everything is ok but windows 10 says disk structure is corrupted: Hey I have a 3TB WD External Hard drive and worked perfectly till one time windows said there is a problem with this drive and fix it with windows options. I tried and after that my entire partition is inaccessible. I read some of topics in this forum and used testdisk...
  7. Everything is ok but windows 10 says "the disk structure is corrupte

Everything is ok but windows 10 says "the disk structure is corrupte: Hey I have a 3TB WD External Hard drive and worked perfectly till one time windows said there is a problem with this drive and fix it with windows options. I tried and after that my entire partition is inaccessible. I read some of topics in this forum and used testdisk...
  8. External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable": I have a 1T external USB HDD and i found that the disk is "RAW" , i am using windows 10 Pro 93581
  9. disk structure is corrupt and unreadable

disk structure is corrupt and unreadable: So it was working fine and then it got slow when putting things on it and then blah it wont let me open it. if i managed to get the attachment thingy right you the drive f: which is giving me the problems i tried to circle it in paint. 26054
  10. Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable

Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable: I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB. Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt: chkdsk f: /r chkfdsk /f f: for both I get the same reply: "Type of file is NTFS. Unable to determine volume and version state" This...