Windows 10: Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag

Discus and support Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I tried updating my Windows 7 Pro system to windows 10 pro. The update went Ok but I noticed that my Raid 0 configuration is now considered an SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mrbill57, Jan 16, 2016.

1. mrbill57 Win User

Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag

I tried updating my Windows 7 Pro system to windows 10 pro. The update went Ok but I noticed that my Raid 0 configuration is now considered an SSD and Windows won't let me defrag my drives. I found a comment online that running Windat formal will clear up the issue, but it didn't work for me. I have currently rolled back to Windows 7 so I don't hit the 30 day rollback option.

Has anyone else run into this problem and have found a solution?

Thanks,

:)

mrbill57, Jan 16, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Issues with Windows 10 upgrade

Sata can be used as ide or raid. I have a sata rom-drive plug into the sata port. Bois see's it as Sata ran as ide/pata. The hard drives can be set up as "raid 0". I only have 2 sata ports. So I can not set up "Raid 0" because I only have one hard drive.
    Sounds like you have 4 sata ports. 2 hard drives and 2 dvd-rom. If the bios is detecting the drives but windows is not there is a reason.

So besides adding 1 rom-drive at a time and booting windows to see if it was recognized by windows. Rolling back to win 7. Did win 7 recognized the 4 drives?

Teddy2016, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Adding an internal hdd after Raid 0 but system keeps adding it to Raid configuration

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop with Windows 10 installed on in Raid 0 on two identical Seagate Barracuda Sata Hdds. I'm trying to add a Samsung 2TB internal hard drive. After activating the appropriate Sata location in the bios (Sata2. The two Raid
    hdds are on Sata1 & 4 with my optical drive on sata0), the computer tries to boot with the Samsung drive in Raid and freezes on the boot screen. How do I make my computer recognize this drive strictly as an additional sata hdd without it attaching it to the
    raid array?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

MilesDavisThaBoss, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

A little more rigorous variant of that would have been "winsat formal -restart clean". Don't know if it's worth re-upgrading and trying again, however.

Afraid I don't know at this point if that's the solution you're asking for.

Word Man, Jan 16, 2016
  5. mrbill57 Win User
    Word Man, thanks for the quick reply and your suggestion. I'm going to add it to my "try windows 10 again" list of possible fixes.

Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I'll add an update on my next attempt here.

mrbill57, Jan 16, 2016
  6. mrbill57 Win User
    So today is a holiday for me, so I thought I'd try Windows 10 upgrade again. I checked Defrag, and my Raid configuration still shows Solid State Drives, can't run Defrag. I tried your suggestion on running "winsat formal -restart clean" but Defrag still shows SSD for drive. I looked under "System Information, Storage, Disks" and that correctly shows:

Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag [​IMG]

Here is what Defrag shows:
    Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag [​IMG]

Not sure what that second drive \\?Volume... is

mrbill57, Jan 17, 2016
  7. Word Man Win User
    That's your WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) partition and is used for Windows recovery and advanced booting/troubleshooting options - not normally written to and (even though it will show in the optimize GUI) no need to worry about or optimize that.

As RAID setups are not in my bailiwick of experience, I will stand back and see if another member with more appropriate skills/experience can help you.

Just in case it matters to another reader, is it possible the disk in question is a hybrid HDD with SSD cache ?
    - don't know if that confuses Win10 or if that is caught in a Win10 "gap" that MS hasn't closed yet.

Word Man, Jan 17, 2016
  8. mrbill57 Win User

I tried the Microsoft Support route to see what they could do. After 3 hours, yes 3 their next attempt was to download Windows 10 upgrade and re-install. This option came with a warning that I won't be able to roll back to Windows 7 with this install. I finally hit the reality that MS has no clue on how to fix this issue. Apparently MS doesn't have a known fix that their Tech Support has available. I ended the support and may roll back to Windows 7 and try again later. Frustrating*Mad

mrbill57, Jan 18, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    Oh nooooo, Mr. Bill.*Wink I'm sorry to hear of your experience with MS support but can't really say I'm surprised. I've put a request into the VIP forum here to try and get you some more appropriate help.

Word Man, Jan 18, 2016
  10. mrbill57 Win User
    I never was known as that until Saturday Night Live!

You just showed my age!!*Wink

mrbill57, Jan 18, 2016
  11. Word Man Win User
    Hehe, mine too, for what that's worth!

Word Man, Jan 18, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jan 18, 2016
  13. mrbill57 Win User

That's it exactly!! Looks like Intel needs to get their act (keeping it clean) together. I guess I can live with the manual command " defrag c: /U /V /H " until Intel makes an update.

I guess I can always haul out my old Commodore Vic20 if things get worse!

Thanks, everyone for your help! Should I leave the post unsolved for now?

mrbill57, Jan 18, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    *Thumbs Glad to have helped (sort of...)

simrick, Jan 18, 2016
  15. mrbill57 Win User
    Would you believe I just got a call from MS asking if they could continue with the assistance, (yes I did disconnect them) I did decline knowing that they probably won't be able to help, so they did give me a case number for the future if I do need assistance with this issue later. I got to give them credit for trying to help!

(the old guy) LOL

mrbill57, Jan 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag - Similar Threads - thinks Raid SATA

2. Windows 10 stopped recognizing my secondary raid 0 hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 stopped recognizing my secondary raid 0 hard drives: I have 2 x Intel 2tb NVME drives set up in RAID 0 that have been working find for about 6 months. There is about 3.5 tb of data on these drives. Windows 10 File Explorer stopped seeing this drive D: this week. Device manager sees the drives, but I am unable to access the...
  3. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  4. Hard Drive Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Defrag . . .: My computer is, a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro . . . I want, to clean up, my hard drive. I think, it's known as "Defrag"? I'm not, sure why? But, my computer is running very, slowly. I hope, after cleaning up my, hard drive. It, will run faster? I typed into, my...
  5. How to defrag my hard drive in windows 10?

How to defrag my hard drive in windows 10?: How to defragment my hard drive in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-defrag-my-hard-drive-in-windows-10/a3a96022-8baa-4767-8c3e-8de4bd09af4c
  6. SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows: Dear Community, Today I'm testing a ThinkPad X240 with a dual mSATA to SATA enclosure. Lots of fun. Not unexpected but Windows 10 is of the opinion that my two mSata SSD's are, in reality, hard disks. They are not. We talked about it, it did not help. I tried the...
  7. Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...

Can you Defragment and Optimize an Intel RST RAID 1 Volume (2 Hard Disk Drives) in Windows...: Can you (or should you) Defragment and Optimize an Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID 1 Volume or should you just leave the Volume alone? My Configuration: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 14.5.0.1081 Volume1: 2 x 2 TB Seagate Desktop...
  8. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  9. Raid 0 ssd drive

Raid 0 ssd drive: HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it? I deleted a...
  10. windows dosent defrag drives raided with Mssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows dosent defrag drives raided with Mssd: not only in windows 10 but in all windows i always thought that windows was automatically defragging my hard drives and then i turn around and just decided to check with a 3rd party defrag (because my pc boots slow) and theres 65gb of fragmented data!! wtf windows!? now i...