Windows 10: Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings?

Discus and support Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 appears to throttle internet speed. The link tested is http://sfo-korg-mirror.kernel.org/op...DVD-x86_64.iso It will start out at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by link626, Jul 4, 2017.

1. link626 Win User

Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings?

Windows 10 appears to throttle internet speed.

The link tested is
    http://sfo-korg-mirror.kernel.org/op...DVD-x86_64.iso

It will start out at 20MB/s, then throttle down to just 200KB/s. !!!! It will sit at this superslow speed for a while, then climb up later, only to throttle down super slow again.
    This is a dedicated server on a gigabit line.

At home, my 100mbps line holds the download steady at 100mbps. No speed dip.

I know very little about how Windows controls transfer speeds, but I have read about Windows auto adjusting the tcp window and such.

It seems the netsh settings are helping and hurting.

Also, I have 10mbps upload speed at home, and when I try to upload to my 1gbps server, the speed is throttled at 1.5mbps.
    It starts at 10mbps, then quickly throttles.

Whatever is working behind the scenes seems to be contributing to the server's slow download speed, and my slow upload from home.

If I disable auto-tuning, speeds are even worse.
    The http server goes from maxing out my 100mbps line, to <10mbps.
    So outbound speeds from the server suffer, and inbound speeds to the server still suffer.

help ?!

:)

link626, Jul 4, 2017

2. Slow Internet Over Wifi. Only Internet Speed Weirdly Slowed.

Hi, Microsoft.

Wireless Environment Details

Previously, I am using Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 in my Dell laptop with overall environment details as below,

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wifi adapter, using 5Ghz band at 433Mbps.
    • Using Asus RT-AC68U, performing 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz).
    • Subscribing fiber optic 300Mbps ISP speed.
    Problem Statements

I am facing internet speed throttled over Wifi but not wired LAN connection. The speed throttled below than 100Mbps during downloading. The Wifi weirdly throttled the internet speed only but not local network file transfer over wireless.

Test Methods and Problem Analysis.

• The laptop and router range within 2 meters away.
    • No multiple devices connected to the router during the test.
    • DNS set in router is Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8
    • My laptop using default Windows 10 Firewall and set network to "Private".
    • No VPN were used nor installed.
    • All hardwares installed with latest drivers from Dell website.
    • All networking speed monitored using Resource Monitor.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet into laptop over Wifi. Speed slowed down less than 100Mbps.
    • I have a desktop PC too, using Windows 10 and LAN cable connection to router.
    • Transferring files from desktop PC to Asus router and finally wireless to my laptop.
      FULL SPEED around 400Mbps.
    • This is so odd. Wireless file transfer over local network can be full speed but internet over wireless slowed. Obviously not Wifi adapter problem.
    • I decided to further test the router hardware.
    • Download files from internet into desktop PC over LAN cable. Full speed at 300Mbps.
    • Download files from internet over smartphone and tablet (both Android and iOS) wireless.
      FULL SPEED at 300Mbps. Obviously not router problem too.
    • So I narrowed down the problem only can be Windows 10. Can you help me identify the problems?

Kent Ong Kean Seng, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Download speed throttled in window 10

Method 2 seems to have worked! Thank you so much. I can't believe noone from MS support team tried that after 10 long hours of troubleshooting. Many suggested that I go back to windows 7, or just create a new account. Guess where I'm coming for help next
    time :>

Great community.

Also, I'd like to raise a complaint against many of your support agents who were downright rude and wasted more than 2 hours of time last night, please suggest what can be done so some action can be taken against them. If not all, I'd seriously want to raise
    a complaint against one particular "John Q" who wasted the most time and insulted me before disconnecting the chat without any reason.

vermajai93, Jul 4, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows is not throttling anything. You are trying to download an iso on a server that can be shared with other websites and also be bogged down by multiple people attempting to download files. Without knowing where that server is and how many other servers are shared in a VM, all of that is factored in in that the person who set it up had to implement some kind of QOS to keep a single user from eating up all of the available bandwidth.

bro67, Jul 4, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Agreed!!!!

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2017
  6. link626 Win User
    it's most definitely Windows, because I have another Win7 server in the same data center that can sustain 20MB/s downloading that file, either simultaneously, or right after.
    That linux.iso download server has lots of bandwidth.

Somehow, windows is screwing up the tcp settings on the fly. There's no reason the windows server should be capping my upload speed to it at 1.5mbps, especially on a 1gbps server.

Also, when I run linux live CD on the Windows 10 server PC, I am not capped at 1.5mbps. I can upload to the linux at my max upload 12mbps.

So it's definitely a tcp setting in Win10. I even tried Win7, and it's the same problem.
    Windows caps my speed from home>>> server

I'm 2500 miles away, so I have 90ms ping.
    The win10 server does not cap the speed for transfers from closer locations.
    It's definitely miscalculating the optimal transfer speed

link626, Jul 5, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    What's the other server running?

BTW: Besides the throttling thing, I have found Windows uses a lot more bandwith for whatever (didn't bother wiresharking) - when I was on a capped plan, I switched to Linux for internet stuff...

Superfly, Jul 5, 2017
  8. link626 Win User

2nd server in the datacenter is running Windows 7.
    As I understand, 7 and 10 have autotuning.

However, I find my overall transfer speeds worse with autotuning off.
    With autotuning on, I can download from my win10 server at my max home speed 120mbps.
    with autotuning off and fiddling with tcp window settings in the registry, that speed drops to 50mbps or less.

If there were only a way to turn off autotuning and adjust tcp for best performance.

Both windows servers are in the same datacenter, with very similar routing, same ping times, same speeds.
    I can download from both of them at 120mbps, but one of the servers caps my upload to it.
    I'm comparing the two server tcp settings, and they look identical, so I can't figure out why it's capping me.

I just ran Ubuntu live cd, and logged into the ftp server running at home. It can pull a file from my home ftp at 12mbps, my max upload speed.

If I do the same thing on Windows, it pulls the file at 12mbps for 2 seconds, then drops way down to 2mbps or less.

The autotuning is f'd up

link626, Jul 5, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    Hmmm... maybe due to BITS which has QOS built in that'd f'd... I'll be interested in what the network guru's think...

Superfly, Jul 5, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    What are the two IP's of both computers that you are running Windows desktop as a server, which is not going to work as you want. If you are going to run a server to host files, you really need to be using Linux and have it set up as a FTP server with strong security.

Yes Windows 7 and 10 have different QOS schemes. A ping of 90 means that you have a lot of hops and that distance of over 2500 miles is going to be an issue. Windows adjusts up and down speeds depending on congestion along the way and the size of the packets being sent, which can vary in size and if there is a CRC error, it has to retransmit the packets that were malformed.

bro67, Jul 6, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    If the OP is using Windows Desktop, they are always going to have a issue. Especially if they have different computer hardware and not using a VM like most people do. With it being over 2500 miles away, the OP is going to see problems.

bro67, Jul 6, 2017
  12. Look at this: SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Also, you should remove all network protocols and disable all features, you do not need.

TairikuOkami, Jul 6, 2017
  13. Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings?

Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings? [​IMG]

The speed above is the same as it was with Windows 7. If I remove my router the Download will jump to 110

Josey Wales, Jul 6, 2017
  14. larc919 Win User
    I've experienced huge slowdowns with Windows 10, but likely not the same situation the OP has. When I install new Insider Preview builds, Microsoft insists on replacing my TP-Link T4UH wifi adapter driver with a newer one they got somewhere (it's not available on the adapter manufacturer's site). It slows my usual 70Mb download to less than 2Mb. Uninstalling the newer driver and installing the older one fixes the problem. I have to go through that with every new build.

larc919, Jul 6, 2017
  15. link626 Win User
    it definitely has to do with autotuning.

I'm in california. Server box is in new york.

It's so lopsided. I can pull fast speed from the server. But uploading to the server from california is a painful 150 KB/s.

My other server box is also in NY, right next door in the same datacenter. I can upload to that box at 1500KB/s.

Windows aggressively throttles my speed on one of the boxes for no good reason.

What's this thing about virtual machine?

I was just thinking about using a linux virtual machine within the Windows desktop server. However, I think Windows autotuning will still cripple the virtual machine.

If VM doesn't work, I'm going to dual boot linux.

I'm not very savvy with linux, and I'm taking a google crash course on it right now.

link626, Jul 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 throttles internet download speed. Wonky built-in settings? - Similar Threads - throttles internet download

2. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is throttling internet speed: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot why my Windows 10 PC is not able to achieve appropriate internet speeds.OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3208ISP: AT&T 5 Gbps fiber symmetricalNetwork Adapter: ASUS XG-C100C 10 GbE wired connectionSpeed test results: 600-1100 Mbps down, 250-500...
  3. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is throttling internet speed: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot why my Windows 10 PC is not able to achieve appropriate internet speeds.OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3208ISP: AT&T 5 Gbps fiber symmetricalNetwork Adapter: ASUS XG-C100C 10 GbE wired connectionSpeed test results: 600-1100 Mbps down, 250-500...
  4. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb: I've worked in IT for years, end user support to now a cloud infrastructure consultant. This is the first ever time I've used Microsoft Ask a Question, because this is the first ever time I've seen an issue like this and i'm prepared to log the hell of this to help others in...
  6. Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb

Internet Speed Throttled to 13.5Mb: I've worked in IT for years, end user support to now a cloud infrastructure consultant. This is the first ever time I've used Microsoft Ask a Question, because this is the first ever time I've seen an issue like this and i'm prepared to log the hell of this to help others in...
  7. Windows 10 throttling Internet download speeds

Windows 10 throttling Internet download speeds: My Dell 7386 laptop with an Intel AX200 has much slower download speeds than are available on two different Samsung Galaxy S10e cellphones. All devices are connected via Wi-Fi to a TP-Link AX6000 router. The router's connection to the ISP tests out at a 501 Mbps download...
  8. Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue

Weird - Internet Speed Throttling Issue: All, I've noticed that I get really different speeds when speed testing through Cox's speedtest.net and through any other speed test (Fast.com, speedofme, etc.). Now, this would be just a weird anomaly, but I think it is affecting my wife's zoom webinars. For the past couple...
  9. Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?: I have experienced what appears to be Windows 10 throttling my internet connection speed. It has happened on multiple occasions, and it happened again tonight so I wanted to check with this community to see if there is a possible permanent fix to prevent this from happening...
  10. Download Speed Being Throttled

Download Speed Being Throttled: Hi Everyone, Totally stumped on this. My internet is being severely throttled by windows 10 or a driver and I've tried everything on Google so far. I should be getting over 500mpbs but its being capped to < 20mpbs wired and <6mpbs over 5G wifi. I have fixed it once a couple...