Windows 10: Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives?

Discus and support Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives? [img] [img] 4974 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Edwin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives?

Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives?

Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? [​IMG]

:)

Edwin, Mar 26, 2015
  2. Erik618 Win User

windows 10 upgrades

I own a hard copy of Windows 8.1 pro, and have been using the windows 10 tp for months now, will I have to reinstall windows 8.1 to get windows 10 again

Erik618, Mar 26, 2015
  3. DonCrick Win User
    Getting an error stating that the drive is to sparse and needs to be uncompressed any suggestions?

Original title: Network Drive (Windows 10)

Getting an error stating that the drive is to sparse and needs to be uncompressed any suggestions? The drive is a usb hard drive that is plugged into a TP link Router..

DonCrick, Mar 26, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

Yes. I have a iomega USB 3 drive that windows 10 can't recognize (works on 7, OSX and Arch on the same hardware).

Can anyone use USB attached SCSI in 10? - Windows 10 Forums

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Oddly enough, this has to do with my post of a couple days ago, only thing is, it's getting worse!
    These are SATA drives that have always been in there.
    Thing is though, Build 10041 has never been able to 'find' or install SATA Controller driver, all drives are treated as 'removable'.

Edwin, Mar 26, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    I assume you mean it's some third party SATA controller? A Plug-in card?

When the drives are treated as removable, it means two things:

1. You're using AHCI and
    2. Your drives are set to "Hot Swappable".

When they're hot swap, it means you can "eject" them, and thus they're treated as removable, even though they're "fixed disk". Many SATA controllers have Hot Swap capabilities.

EDIT:

I should be careful to say, even though the controller allows you to "hot swap" you need to be very careful about unplugging or plugging hard drives in with the system running. If you don't have a backplane that supports this, you can easily cause a short that would damage your system or the drive.

Mystere, Mar 26, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Nvidia Controller has always been natively supported until Build 10041!?
    However, I don't know if it has anything to do with the drives disappearing. *Confused

Edwin, Mar 26, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

In my case the problem is the MS eXtensible Host Controller driver. The Intel one (in windows 7) works but since Windows 8 Intel don't develop this driver and the MS one doesn't work. I could install the Intel one on 8 but not on 10 (well I can install it but it doesn't work).

They do seem to be updating it though - in 9926 my hard drive failed to work as UAS. Now it fails to work as a virtual SCSI CD drive (for some reason) which is at least a change if not particularly an improvement.

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Darn, wish you wouldn't ask questions like that. Here I went looking for my HDDs and couldn't fine any, *Confused. . .then I remembered I didn't use HDDs only SDDs. . . *Wink. . .sorry had to throw that out there. Just got back home yesterday form the Hospital (Another mini-stroke) and when reading the question it did cause some bite of confusion. . .*Thumbs

10. you might need to click on the refresh icon, then - if the drive shows up..
    right-click on the drive in Disk Management and allocate a letter..
    - it should then show up in the "This PC" listing..

PS - look for the HDD/SSD in the lower portion of the interface, it'll be one of those with no drive letter allocated..

BugMeister, Mar 27, 2015
  11. endeavor Win User
    I run SSD's for my OS partitions too (hope you feel better Lee) but even though all my Control Panel> Power> settings for sleep, hibernate, etc, everything has All Been Set To Never, but I'll notice after about 5 minutes that I can hear my TB spinner I use only for Storage spin itself down, and notice it'll only start when I go access something that's located on it. It's connected right to the MB SATA 6.0 gb/s ports not usb of course. Doesn't do that on Win7 or 8.
    I'll figure it out when necessary, no big deal right now since I know it's something simple, but saw this thread and reminded me of it so I mentioned it as a fwiw, and I never noticed the previous 10 build did this - I don't think so either. I'm running an Intel Desktop Board DZ77BH-55K

endeavor, Mar 27, 2015
  12. What does diskpart show?

If it were just file Explorer, I would say look at folder options View -> Hide Empty drives (just in case Windows thinks it's an empty drive). Since Disk Mgmnt also show the missing drives (or doesn't show in this case) - that's probably not it.

What's the status of the NVidia controller in Dev Mgr? Can you compare the driver version to 9926 or a previous TP?

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? - Similar Threads - Hiding Hard Drives

2. Hard drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive with Windows 10: My computer just died. Nothing but beep-beep-beep when I turn it on. I had another box that the drive was corrupted on, so I took the hard drive out and put it in the other machine. I turned it on it opened right up, ran fine and I was able to down load my data. I thought...
  3. Windows 10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 hard drive: My HDD says it's full even AFTER I deleted all the pictures from it. What is the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hard-drive/2f1c4677-23b6-4c76-a4da-a75fb1d5c6c9
  4. Hide network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide network drive: I have a network drive mapped and I want to hide it, is it possible? 131356
  5. UXStyle version for Windows 10(TP)

in Windows 10 Customization
    UXStyle version for Windows 10(TP): I thought it would be a good idea to make an extra thread for new versions of UXStyle because a lot of you require a dark theme, and this way you can skin/theme your desktops. UxStyle is a bit of software that relaxes Windows theme signature requirements to enable...
  6. Windows 10 TP on my Netbook

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 TP on my Netbook: Netbook: Samsung N145 Plus, Atom N455 2 GB RAM 64-bit It works beyond perfect, shame Metro apps still can't run on 1024x600 resolution, given they can run on separate windows *Sad Edit: The search function doesn't work (blank window) while in my desktop vrtual machine it...
  7. windows 10 TP installation fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 TP installation fails: Hi I decided to get windows 10 TP. It went all right for a bit. But then I went out for a few hours and when i came back it was off! I switched it on and it said... Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v12.2.5 Copyright Broadcom Copyright Intel All rights reserved. Broadcom Base...
  8. Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Drive Letters in Windows 10 [img] Information A drive letter is a single alphabetic character A through Z that has been assigned to a physical drive or drive partition in the computer. This...
  9. Hide Specific Drives in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide Specific Drives in Windows: How to: Hide Specific Drives in Windows How to Hide Specific Drives in Windows [img] Information In Windows, you can hide specified drives to have them no longer show in This PC and File Explorer without preventing access to them, or losing their assigned drive letter...
  10. Windows 10 TP for phones released

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 TP for phones released: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Announcing the first build of Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones Supported phones for Windows 10 Technical Preview We're working to get more Windows Phone models supported...