Windows 10: Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot

Discus and support Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've ordered a 32GB SSD to replace my spinny 20gb drive. Whats the best way to transfer the system from spinny to SSD? I have Macrium Reflect, clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by banger, Apr 13, 2016.

1. banger Win User

Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot

I've ordered a 32GB SSD to replace my spinny 20gb drive. Whats the best way to transfer the system from spinny to SSD?

I have Macrium Reflect, clone or image. I have a backup on another spinny in the same machine, but experimenting with XP on my laptop I restored an XP image on my desktop to the lsptop drive then inserted the drive into the laptop but it wouldnt boot, I had to run fixboot in an XP recovery console.

Will I have the same problem with transferring Win 10 to SSD, if so what is the equivalent Win 10 command of Xps fixboot.

Tim

:)

banger, Apr 13, 2016
  2. D_777 Win User

How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

How to transfer ssd from old to new computer?

The ssd has only one partition. It has windows 10 as os. The only difference are the drivers and hardware in the new laptop computer. So the new laptop will not boot with that ssd.

The ssd has data I want to keep.

D_777, Apr 13, 2016
  3. JimPta Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

Goal: Add a Samsung EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD and make it the boot disk for a new Dell 8700 running pre-installed Windows 10.

Questions:

• Do I have to change the BIOS from IRST to AHCI?

• Can I transfer the OS from the original C: drive to the SSD via

EasyUS Todo Backup
      ?

• Do I need the Windows installation disks?
    Background:

Using a StarTEC USB 3.0 to 2.5 SATA III Hard Drive adapter cable, I connected the new SSD to the new Dell 8700 via USB. The Dell transfer tools, and Dell Navigator, did not recognize the SSD. I later read a post that said that these Dell tools did
    not yet work with Windows 10. As suggested in another post, I did get the transfer to work using EasyUS Todo. I copied Windows 10 to the SSD. I then installed it internally in one of the empty drive bays. Windows 10 file manager recognized the drive and I
    was able to see that Windows was indeed copied on it.

But, before I change the Boot Sequence to start with the SSD, I would like to know if the OS transfer will indeed work and\or whether the BIOs needs to be changed from IRST to AHCI (if yes, how).

Finally, Windows disks, usually orderable from PC manufacturers, are not yet available from Dell. Alternatively, the “create USB recovery disk” goes in an endless loop even though I am trying to create one using a new 32GB San Disk USB drive.

Any other things I need to do in order to make this SSD boot configuration to work?

Thanks!

JimPta, Apr 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Just a comment- 32Gb seems a tad small esp. for dual booting. When Windows does an upgrade or you do an in-place upgrade repair install, Windows.old is created, slightly smaller than Windows.

In my case, both are about 20Gb.

Then you have (by default) user folders - Desktop, Documents, Videos... (which of course you can relocate to another drive) and other stuff in Appdata.. that can grow.

About 450Mb is occupied by a Windows Recovery partition.

dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  6. banger Win User
    I forgot I have the recovery tool on a bootable USB drive so hopefully I can migrate the OS using that if it has Partition Assistant, now just to wait for the SSD to arrive.

banger, Apr 13, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Might want to update your USB with a fresh download of Kyhi's recovery drive, he's updated some of the programs on it recently.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  8. banger Win User

Done! Made a mess of it first time round, used the Rescue USB to run Reflect and cloned the disk. When I changed the boot order it booted but all sorts of problems like flashing screen, Start Menu wouldn't work and explorer kept crashing.

Then tried a fresh install of x64 Pro but my ancient HP 710c printer wouldn't work which I sort of knew would happen.

Final attegmpt was to boot into the working x86 Win 10 pro on spinny disk, install Aomei Partition Assistant, delete the SSD partitions then start Migrate OS to SSD in Aomei. This reboots into pre-os mode and transfers the OS from disk to disk and you can also resize the partition before reboot. After the copy function change boot order in BIOS and lovely fast boot from the SSD, done.

banger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot - Similar Threads - transfer SSD boot

2. ssd to ssd windows transfer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd to ssd windows transfer: I have a prebuilt pc, and I want to buy a new ssd and have windows on that, my current ssd that has windows I do not want the other stuff on it or to copy it, I just want windows on my new ssd....
  3. Transfer Windows to SSD

Transfer Windows to SSD: Hello I have a new laptop with 2 disks : 1 HDD GPT disk 930.88 GB partition C ; 99MB EFI System partition ; 529MB Recovery partition and 1 SSD 119.23 GB. The SSD initially came as MBR disk, having a partition with HPfiles, 1 with some system files and 1 unallocated....
  4. Transferring Windows 10 license to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows 10 license to SSD: I've seen very conflicting answers to this question. I'm getting a ssd and I plan on installing windows on it to use for my main use on my computer. I have an oem version of windows and I want to move my activation to the new drive but not to a new computer. Some forum...
  5. Windows 10 transfer to a new SSD

Windows 10 transfer to a new SSD: I have a old HDD that has windows 10 and I have got a whole new pc but that is the only piece I brought over from my old set up to keep windows 10, I purchased a SSD and heard that I have if I have my windows 10 connected to my Microsoft account there was a way to transfer...
  6. transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd

transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I have windows 10 pre installed on my laptop, OPM. it now on my hdd, I want to transfer it from hdd to ssd which I install by myself . is it possible? or not? if possible please explain the process....
  7. Transfer Windows 10 SSD to PC with locked BIOS and secure boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Windows 10 SSD to PC with locked BIOS and secure boot: Hello, I recently made a mistake and bought a 2nd hand PC (Thinkpad x280) with locked BIOS (supervisor), Secure Boot enabled, as well as a Win10 admin password. It probably was a corporate device... I tried to contact the seller, but he vanished and doesn't answer me...
  8. TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD

TRANSFER WINDOWS TO SSD: i am using a HP Laptop which was purchased 1month ago and has active warranty Details of the laptop is given below Model : HP 15S-DU0094TU SN# CND9244LC0 PRODUCT ID : 7NH61PA Microsoft Windows Product ID : 00327-35847-94668-AAOEM I want to add an extra internal...
  9. Windows 10 HHD to SSD Transfer

Windows 10 HHD to SSD Transfer: I just purchased an SSD that I want to use as my primary disk. Before this SSD I was (and still am sadly) using an HHD. I have already migrated all of my files using an application called 'Data Migration'. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm already...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 license to SSD

Transfer Windows 10 license to SSD: Hello, I have a laptop with pre-installed Windows 10 Home. I am upgrading my storage into an SSD soon and I want to know if I can transfer that license since it will be in the same laptop anyways. Thanks...