Windows 10: Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot

Discus and support Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've ordered a 32GB SSD to replace my spinny 20gb drive. Whats the best way to transfer the system from spinny to SSD? I have Macrium Reflect, clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by banger, Apr 13, 2016.

1. banger Win User

Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot

I've ordered a 32GB SSD to replace my spinny 20gb drive. Whats the best way to transfer the system from spinny to SSD?

I have Macrium Reflect, clone or image. I have a backup on another spinny in the same machine, but experimenting with XP on my laptop I restored an XP image on my desktop to the lsptop drive then inserted the drive into the laptop but it wouldnt boot, I had to run fixboot in an XP recovery console.

Will I have the same problem with transferring Win 10 to SSD, if so what is the equivalent Win 10 command of Xps fixboot.

Tim

:)

banger, Apr 13, 2016
  2. D_777 Win User

How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

How to transfer ssd from old to new computer?

The ssd has only one partition. It has windows 10 as os. The only difference are the drivers and hardware in the new laptop computer. So the new laptop will not boot with that ssd.

The ssd has data I want to keep.

D_777, Apr 13, 2016
  3. JimPta Win User
    How to add SSD as boot disk on new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10?

Goal: Add a Samsung EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD and make it the boot disk for a new Dell 8700 running pre-installed Windows 10.

Questions:

• Do I have to change the BIOS from IRST to AHCI?

• Can I transfer the OS from the original C: drive to the SSD via

EasyUS Todo Backup
      ?

• Do I need the Windows installation disks?
    Background:

Using a StarTEC USB 3.0 to 2.5 SATA III Hard Drive adapter cable, I connected the new SSD to the new Dell 8700 via USB. The Dell transfer tools, and Dell Navigator, did not recognize the SSD. I later read a post that said that these Dell tools did
    not yet work with Windows 10. As suggested in another post, I did get the transfer to work using EasyUS Todo. I copied Windows 10 to the SSD. I then installed it internally in one of the empty drive bays. Windows 10 file manager recognized the drive and I
    was able to see that Windows was indeed copied on it.

But, before I change the Boot Sequence to start with the SSD, I would like to know if the OS transfer will indeed work and\or whether the BIOs needs to be changed from IRST to AHCI (if yes, how).

Finally, Windows disks, usually orderable from PC manufacturers, are not yet available from Dell. Alternatively, the “create USB recovery disk” goes in an endless loop even though I am trying to create one using a new 32GB San Disk USB drive.

Any other things I need to do in order to make this SSD boot configuration to work?

Thanks!

JimPta, Apr 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Just a comment- 32Gb seems a tad small esp. for dual booting. When Windows does an upgrade or you do an in-place upgrade repair install, Windows.old is created, slightly smaller than Windows.

In my case, both are about 20Gb.

Then you have (by default) user folders - Desktop, Documents, Videos... (which of course you can relocate to another drive) and other stuff in Appdata.. that can grow.

About 450Mb is occupied by a Windows Recovery partition.

dalchina, Apr 13, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  6. banger Win User
    I forgot I have the recovery tool on a bootable USB drive so hopefully I can migrate the OS using that if it has Partition Assistant, now just to wait for the SSD to arrive.

banger, Apr 13, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Might want to update your USB with a fresh download of Kyhi's recovery drive, he's updated some of the programs on it recently.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  8. banger Win User

Done! Made a mess of it first time round, used the Rescue USB to run Reflect and cloned the disk. When I changed the boot order it booted but all sorts of problems like flashing screen, Start Menu wouldn't work and explorer kept crashing.

Then tried a fresh install of x64 Pro but my ancient HP 710c printer wouldn't work which I sort of knew would happen.

Final attegmpt was to boot into the working x86 Win 10 pro on spinny disk, install Aomei Partition Assistant, delete the SSD partitions then start Migrate OS to SSD in Aomei. This reboots into pre-os mode and transfers the OS from disk to disk and you can also resize the partition before reboot. After the copy function change boot order in BIOS and lovely fast boot from the SSD, done.

banger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot - Similar Threads - transfer SSD boot

2. Transfer Windows 10 license to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license to SSD: Hello, I have a laptop with pre-installed Windows 10 Home. I am upgrading my storage into an SSD soon and I want to know if I can transfer that license since it will be in the same laptop anyways. Thanks...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 SSD drive to another PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 SSD drive to another PC: Situation: I have two Laptop PC's, 1. A DELL VOSTRO with an SSD drive, Windows 10 PRO installed. The hardware on this computer is dying. I have a Prod ID, a Prod Key and the Activation window states "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  4. Transfer SSD to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer SSD to new laptop: My laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing. But it has a good SSD with Windows 10 and lots of data on it which I want to keep. Can I buy a new laptop with no HDD or OS and transfer my existing SSD complete with OS straight into it? Am I allowed to transfer my existing...
  5. Persistent slow boot - Windows 10 with SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Persistent slow boot - Windows 10 with SSD: I have an system with an Intel i5 processor (a Dell 3620) and ****319 ms in the above) and whether True or False is reported - I see True sometimes with lower times. I've searched far and wide for similar problems and there do seem to be significant numbers of people seeing...
  6. SSD transfer between Windwos 10 laptops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD transfer between Windwos 10 laptops: Hello I have a laptop, with Windows10 installed on a 128GB SSD. I also had a 1TB HDD on the laptop which failed after a few years. I bought a SATA3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD, (512GB) as a replacement. I only store files, pictures, videos etc on it, no programes at all. I used the...
  7. Windows 10 pro upgrade transfer to a new computer or SSD

Windows 10 pro upgrade transfer to a new computer or SSD: I upgraded to Windows 10 pro and then the power button on my laptop stopped working. Is it possible to take that license and use on a new computer? In the same vein, if I upgrade my computer to windows 10 pro, and then I decide to move everything to a SSD, how do I move...
  8. Transfer Windows 10 to SSD hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer Windows 10 to SSD hard drive: Can anyone tell me how to transfer Windows 10 From my standard hard drive to a new SSD hard drive. Thank you Joe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/transfer-windows-10-to-ssd-hard-drive/1185c915-abfb-4f58-b907-4418a1643ba8
  9. Windows 10 slow boot on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 slow boot on SSD: Hello. Recently (I don't know excactly when) I've noticed that my Windows 10 boot (from when I press power on button until I can see destop) is almost a minute longer than it used to be. Normally it took my PC about 20-25 seconds and I was already on a destop and ready to...
  10. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...