Windows 10: Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services

Discus and support Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Back in the day i used to download a tweaked Config file that will disable all the unwanted services. I think black Viper used to have one. Is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by koolisdon2006, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services

Back in the day i used to download a tweaked Config file that will disable all the unwanted services. I think black Viper used to have one. Is there anyway this can be done or anything for windows 10? They have just way too many services. Thanks all

:)

koolisdon2006, Aug 20, 2016

2. Cumulative Update KB3105210 also fails and undoes changes

This doesn't seem reasonable to the average user. It's insane that these issues persist. If I want to tweak services, add/delete config files, or run secondary utilities, I'll just install Linux. Wait, I DO have Linux, and I don't have to do these things.
    A lot of forums are pointing to Dual Boot as a potential problem. Dual boot isn't the problem, Windows 10 not being smart enough or intentionally coded to not handle it is the problem.

You guys need to rethink your strategies and get this fixed or Windows 10 will really be the last operating system for Microsoft.

JohnStevens_1129, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Unrecognizable "top bar" in windows....

You need to make titlebar colored.By default MS provides coloring everything including start,taskbar and titlebar.There is no such option to have individual settings.

However a registry edit can allow you to have different color configs separately in Windows.

This should help:

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 20, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services

Welcome to the forum.

"They have just way too many services."

Sorry but disabling services because the number exceeds some arbitrary standard is not a good idea. There are serious risks in doing so and the benefits are highly questionable. Even if services were disabled to the point that functionality was seriously compromised the performance gains would be too small to measure. The problem is that there is no complete documentation available of what each service does. Publicly available documentation is known to be incomplete.

In the past I experimented with disabling services. I noticed no gains but did have some unfortunate experiences which I have no desire to repeat.

LMiller7, Aug 20, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Back in the day of XP ?

CountMike, Aug 22, 2016
  6. drfocus Win User
    I understand the need for the OS to perform house cleaning and system optimization, but is there any way to set a limit on how much resource a process may consume? For example, I frequently find Service Host: Local Service, et al. eating up 99% of disk usage. This completely locks me out of my computer as the disk thrashes loudly. I'd like to be able to specify that no more than, say 50% of available resources could be allocated for a particular service or process. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

drfocus, Aug 22, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Is that the computer from your sig ? 2GB of RAM is way to little for 64bit system and even 32bit. With that much of RAM it must be swapping to disk all the time.

CountMike, Aug 22, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services

When you click on the symbol left to it, it will show services related to it, so you can find a culprit.

TairikuOkami, Aug 22, 2016
  9. 2GB is way to low for both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows 10. I'd say 4GB is the sweet spot to prevent the OS swapping to Disk too much.

RoasterMen, Aug 22, 2016
  10. drfocus Win User
    Thanks for the tip! Now at least I can find out who's thrashing my drive.

drfocus, Aug 23, 2016
  11. drfocus Win User
    Yes, I'm planning to increase it to 4GB as you suggested in case that is the problem. But strangely enough, while Disk usage is pegged at 99%, Memory usage never exceeds 60%.

drfocus, Aug 23, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    That's because it's swapping hard. It needs memory and doesn't care where to get it from.

CountMike, Aug 23, 2016
  13. drfocus Win User

Ok. Thank you CountMike. Now I understand.

drfocus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Tweak Config File for services - Similar Threads - Tweak Config File

2. Can Windows 10 File History config files be rebuilt?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can Windows 10 File History config files be rebuilt?: I have a backup using file history, however, connected to a different PC and selected to use a different drive but now the config.xml files were overwritten. The EDB files as well as Data are still in tact....
  3. Windows 10 Mail App config file

Windows 10 Mail App config file: HiI am migrating a user between two local Windows 10 accounts, and was wondering where I might find the address auto-fill file for the Mail app? More specifically, a database file that saves the addresses used in the App, where if you press "a", all addresses starting with a...
  4. Tweaking page file size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaking page file size: With 32gb ram running win10 mostly for games, what is the best page file size setting ? Should i leave it at default, increase it or disable it ? 181333
  5. Tweak Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tweak Windows 10: Hi All! I want to tweak my Windows 10 Dsiplay like this https://technastic.com/2-best-macos-like-docks-for-windows-10/ Is what I'm doing breaking the rules of Microsoft?...
  6. tweak?

tweak?: I was having slow speeds transferring files across two pcs (sometimes3.3 kps) hit upon this tip will searching google. control panel/device manager/network adapters choose your ethernet adapter/properties advance tab large send offload (ipv4) to disable large send offload...
  7. services are stopped in system config. Is this a problem?

in Windows 10 Customization
    services are stopped in system config. Is this a problem?: Services are stopped in system config is this a problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/services-are-stopped-in-system-config-is-this-a/358bb46d-6643-4912-b6c7-69303f3f5211
  8. Tweaks & Tune For Windows 10 Gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaks & Tune For Windows 10 Gaming: Anyone have/recommend a best-practices tutorial on how to best setup Windows 10 for high performance gaming? I have one to suggest though I have not used these tweaks long enough yet to say if all are recommended. Don't know the guy that made this but many of the settings...
  9. Tweaking File Manager Columns in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tweaking File Manager Columns in WIN 10: I find myself too often adding an Attributes column and then moving it to the leftmost column location within File Manager. Is it possible to tweak File Manager such that an Attributes column is always included and appears as the leftmost column within File Manager ? I...
  10. Tweaking Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Tweaking Windows 10: Not sure if this should go in "Customization" thread, but, here it goes: Hello. I am trying to 'tweak' my copy of Windows 10. One of my projects is to delete unecessary files, freeing up disk space (my primary 1 TB SSD is already almost full). So, this I have planned:...