Windows 10: windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login

Discus and support windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; hp pavillion laptop updated to the latest build 1709 resulted in the screen being black with mouse after login. I have returned to previous build,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by luigiwtf, Jan 16, 2018.

1. luigiwtf Win User

windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login

hp pavillion laptop updated to the latest build 1709 resulted in the screen being black with mouse after login. I have returned to previous build, updated the graphics driver (although the intel graphics driver is still from 2015) and am now in the process of reinstalling update 1709 waiting to see if this has fixed it.

:)

luigiwtf, Jan 16, 2018
  2. cb_Largo Win User

Windows 10 upgrade was working, but after refresh has just black screen with pointer. can't log in

after Windows 10 refresh and update, rebooted to black screen with mouse pointer. No login screen. No desktop

cb_Largo, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Wai U Win User
    Black screen after login with win 10 build 1709 installed

Hi community

I would to report one bug of build 1709.

My surface pro 3 is running win 10 build 1709 and now it goes black screen after successful login with causes and symptoms as follows:

Causes:

1. the machine is previously shut down properly, and

2. the machine is turned on and login properly.

Symptoms:

1. after login, the black screen stays for about 5-10 minutes

2. in the black screen, the mouse cursor and keyboard are functioning. Ctrl+alt+del is working. it's just like the desktop is not successfully loaded.

Solution:

a. Never shut down your machine, just press power bottom and make it sleep, until Microsoft releases a fix,

b. Wait for 5-10 minutes, your desktop will simply appear again, or

c. uninstall build 1709

Root cause is unknown.

Wai U, Jan 16, 2018
  4. Bastet Win User

Many users are having the same/similar problems & if you can log in via safe mode the solution is to turn off use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device after update or restart in Windows 10.
    For Windows 10 (Version 1709), select the Start button, select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, then make sure Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart is turned off.
    For previous versions of Windows 10, select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Window Update > Advanced options, then select the check box next to Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update.
    Another potential solution is to remove any USB devices (wireless mouse, keyboard, external hard drive/s) & wait to see if boot continues, if not then to restart with devices still disconnected (if possible).

Bastet, Jan 16, 2018
  5. luigiwtf Win User
    Ty Bastet
    its currently preparing (i think) 1709 update so i have done what you mentioned. no devices plugged into it. i updated the latest chipset and gfx drivers from the hp site as well

luigiwtf, Jan 16, 2018
  6. Bastet Win User
    Yes the graphics card can do this, I had a black screen after an nVidia update (using their GeForce experience software) which I had to uninstall in safe mode then install a fresh copy of the driver from the nVidia website & do a clean install.

Bastet, Jan 16, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

Open the HP website > support and drivers > enter product or serial number > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  8. luigiwtf Win User

i have several pcs, guess my main one

luigiwtf, Jan 16, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    The "My Computer" section has room for several computers.
    It will enable viewers to find the information as the thread grows and not have to page through each post.

zbook, Jan 16, 2018
  10. luigiwtf Win User
    well its the same problem exists after doing the above. im stumped

luigiwtf, Jan 17, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    It is possible to reboot from the MCT administrator command prompt to the computer's safe mode.
    It it trial and error depending upon the computer's underlying problems.
    If you have a display that is no longer black while in safe mode and can launch device manager then you may be able to uninstall the graphic driver.

See option #3 in this link:
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Open the Windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu > command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources> type:
    bcdedit /set {identifier} safeboot minimal (instead of identifier the typical entry is: {default})

Please note that every reboot is likely to be in safe mode and in order to return to normal boot type:
    bcdedit /deletevalue {identifier} safeboot (instead of identifier the typical entry is: {default})

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
  12. I have installed your WIN 10 PESE to boot my Windows 10 onto my desktop as my system started having the issue of just showing a black screen with a white cursor. I tried all the tricks on the forums but could not get past it.

I could not do a system restore, nor revert to a previous version. I really need to keep all my program files for work. So installed your platform, all my files seem fine and in good order. But I am thinking there is something missing in the boot or a windows file thats preventing my system from booting properly.

I have installed the DISM tool but after running say the 1 option and pressing enter I get this:

Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.

My main drive is C: and its partition is X:

Not sure what to do. Whats the best approach to repair or find out whats messed up with the boot system or windows files?

I really don't want to wipe all my programs from my C drive and start over as its painful.

Certainly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

naturalbodz, Apr 13, 2018
  13. Bastet Win User

I'm reading mores & more users with the same problem, one thought is that the user profile has become corrupt & the solution is to create a new one within cmd prompt under task manager. From the black screen press ctrl alt del to open task manager -> file -> run new task type "cmd.exe" without quotes, and check the admin privileges box. in cmd: type: net user /add [username] [password] username and password without [] press enter, then type: net localgroup administrators [username] /add broo0d comments on Black screen when trying to log in to windows

Bastet, Apr 13, 2018
  14. Hi

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
    Problem is I am currently stuck in the windows 10 repair loop.
    I can't use ctrl alt del at all.

I can get into the trouble shooting menu via the windows media creation tool on USB stick.
    Then get into cmd prompt.

I have tried doing sfc/scannow

I have tried to run bootrec / fixmbr and bootrec / rebuildbcd
    I was thinking the boot maybe screwed up somewhere.

At times it almost goes into "attempting repair" on startup with the USB boot. But then says it failed to repair.

I can see all my files, all seem to be fine...as I can boot from the an disc with windows PE and some of the tools I downloaded from your forum.

Its a bit frustrating as I have a ton of programs that I really don't want to re install with a clean install of windows.

Any further suggestions on the best approach to fix the boot issue?

Thanks and most certainly appreciate any advice

Steve

naturalbodz, Apr 14, 2018
  15. mrgeek Win User
    "I can get into the trouble shooting menu via the windows media creation tool on USB stick.
    Then get into cmd prompt."

No guarantee, but I've seen this fix the black screen with white mouse cursor issue a few times due to display adapter driver not being recognized. From command prompt, type devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager. Scroll down to Display adapter/ r-click 'Update driver'/ Browse my computer ***/ Let me pick ***. In the list, select 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'/Next. Do not be alarmed if display blacks out for a few seconds. Restart to see if boot issue is fixed.
    If boot is repaired, test the system a few times, then use repeat steps up to 'Update driver' but this time, choose 'Search automatically ***' and let Windows pick a version of your orig driver set that makes it happy.
    If not, you've only wasted 10 minutes and we'll see if any other solutions surface. Good Luck

mrgeek, Apr 14, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login - Similar Threads - update 1709 black

2. Windows 10 Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen After Login: Hello,When I log in to my windows PC, it gives a black screen only with access to my cursor and task manager. I can open my files and the internet from this point but still cant seem to get rid of the black screen after login.Things that have been tried:Disable fast...
  3. Windows 10 Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Black Screen After Login: Hello,When I log in to my windows PC, it gives a black screen only with access to my cursor and task manager. I can open my files and the internet from this point but still cant seem to get rid of the black screen after login.Things that have been tried:Disable fast...
  4. Windows 10 black screen after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen after login: Around every other time i login i get a black screenI have 2 accounts on the machine, the other account does not do this - so I am suspecting a profile corruption, the eventlog gives an error, but it's not meaningful enough other than the session not starting. If i use task...
  5. Windows 10 black screen after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 black screen after login: Around every other time i login i get a black screenI have 2 accounts on the machine, the other account does not do this - so I am suspecting a profile corruption, the eventlog gives an error, but it's not meaningful enough other than the session not starting. If i use task...
  6. Windows 10 black screen after login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Windows 10 Black Screen after login

Windows 10 Black Screen after login: After i log into windows because i have a password then i just see a black sreen with mouse nothing else. I can open task manager and open there the explorer but i tryed to fix this and nothing happend. I have to wait like 5-30 min. I think the problem is to this problem...
  8. windows 10 black screen after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 black screen after login: hello i have the following problem i have a nubmer of local accounts on my pc. in one account after lon on i get a black screen . if i press enter i get the cursorr, an if i press ctl_alt_del i get blue screen with options sign out, task manager etc. Other accounts seems...
  9. Black screen after login after recent windows 10 updates

Black screen after login after recent windows 10 updates: As the question describes, I get 2-4 minutes of black screen after login, I can still see the blue screen if I do ctrl alt del but I can't see task manager if I click it, just a black screen with the mouse cursor visible. Sometimes I get prompts and I can see them, then after...
  10. Post login black screen after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Post login black screen after windows 10 update: Last night I set my lenovo y50 to update to windows 10 after I went to sleep. Now that I'm awake i get the windows 8 lockscreen but after I enter my pin I get a black screen with a cursor. I can open taskmanager, and I have gotten several error messages regarding ismagent.exe...