Windows 10: Windows 10 update breaks everything

Discus and support Windows 10 update breaks everything in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The latest Windows 10 update seems to break everything. The laptop I use is an Acer Nitro 5, AN515-51-76YG, Windows build 1803. It has all the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by J._927, Aug 24, 2018.

1. J._927 Win User

Windows 10 update breaks everything

The latest Windows 10 update seems to break everything. The laptop I use is an Acer Nitro 5, AN515-51-76YG, Windows build 1803. It has all the latest drivers/BIOS updates. It was running perfectly well before the latest Windows update. But as soon as I try and update there's a flurry of different problems. Each time I have to restore my laptop from a system image, which brings me right back to where I was before. But I can't keep doing this.

I don't know exactly WHAT the problem is, but I can make a list of symptoms:

-using Google Chrome OR Firefox, certain websites mysteriously do not to work, I get unhandled javascript exceptions (even after clearing cache/cookies), webpages just hang or do not display properly, yes I tried reinstalling Chrome and disabling all Chrome extensions
    -certain tabs/menus in the Windows 10 Settings app hang indefinitely
    -one really important app that I need, VMware Workstation, hangs indefinitely when I try to connect to a server
    -running the system file checker command, 'sfc /scannow', always detects (and claims) to fix system file integrity errors but actually fixes nothing and each time I run the command the output is the same
    -the first time I tried to update, before restoring from backup, there was a BSOD midway through the update
    -system restore fails, I have to instead restore from a system image I made with a 3rd party utility

I tried to disable Windows updates in every way possible. I scoured forums for ways to do this, for example I tried to change the permissions on the updates download folder, so that not even the System account can write to it, but Windows 10 now has this WindowsUpdateMedic service that checks for problems with Windows updates and remediates them. In short, there basically IS NO WAY to definitively disable Windows updates. Windows 10 has safeguards against it.

This is why people curse and grind their teeth at Microsoft. At very minimum, users need to have control over how and when Windows updates are done.

[Moved from: Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

:)

J._927, Aug 24, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Pro and Ergnomic Break Reminder

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Do you remember installing any break reminder software?

It looks like it is a pop up from a break reminder software.

I suggest you to look for this in Programs in features and uninstall it if do not use it.

Try the following steps:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run Command

• Type Appwiz.cpl and hit enter

• Search for the programs and un-install it.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Aug 24, 2018
  4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update breaks everything - Similar Threads - update breaks everything

2. Latest updates break Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest updates break Windows 10: I've seen the notifications on various forums about the latest windows update breaking windows 10 and 11 for some users. Below is some information I've found and issues that I feel need to be addressed.1. The update still comes up as a mandatory update. While you can postpone...
  3. Latest updates break Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest updates break Windows 10: I've seen the notifications on various forums about the latest windows update breaking windows 10 and 11 for some users. Below is some information I've found and issues that I feel need to be addressed.1. The update still comes up as a mandatory update. While you can postpone...
  4. Latest updates break Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Update Breaks Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Breaks Keyboard: I’m having some pretty major issues. Sometime around November 28, an automatic Windows 10 update broke all of my HP laptop’s keyboard, trackpad, and touchscreen functionality. And now after running HP Diagnostics software, all of the laptop’s Wi-Fi functionality is broken!All...
  6. Taskbar clock stopping and everything breaking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar clock stopping and everything breaking: Been having this issue with my pc for a few months now, sometimes the taskbar clock freezes and I cant open apps, interact with almost any of them, or even turn off the pc without holding down the off button. Any files written during this issue can't be opened later, so I...
  7. Why do Windows 10 Updates Break Everything?

Why do Windows 10 Updates Break Everything?: This is more of a commentary than a question. Windows 7 is possibly the greatest OS ever built. Windows 10 on the other hand is woeful. Might I suggest to Microsoft that they build an OS for computers and leave Windows 10 to the tablet and phone applications? I have...
  8. Microsoft Office Breaks Everything

Microsoft Office Breaks Everything: This is a bit of an odd one. Whenever I try to use any microsoft office application, it will disable itself, and glitch everything out. From this point on I can't exit out of the application and it completely disables my task manager, control panel, and file explorer on...
  9. Windows 10 update breaks everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update breaks everything: The latest Windows 10 update seems to break everything. The laptop I use is an Acer Nitro 5, AN515-51-76YG, Windows build 1803. It has all the latest drivers/BIOS updates. It was running perfectly well before the latest Windows update. But as soon as I try and update there's...
  10. Newest windows update breaks almost everything

in Windows 10 Support
    Newest windows update breaks almost everything: My computer (a Dell inspirion) is less then a year old, and came with Windows 10. I got an update for Windows 10, at 8:35pm on the 29th of September which I assume is the main problem. So this morning, once everything had finished from the update after "shut down and update"...