Windows 10: Windows 10 update broke my computer.

Discus and support Windows 10 update broke my computer. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I'll go on record saying that Windows 10 is the absolute worst OS ever released by Microsoft. It just did a self-update and broke my computer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Daniel1975, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Windows 10 update broke my computer.

So, I'll go on record saying that Windows 10 is the absolute worst OS ever released by Microsoft.

It just did a self-update and broke my computer. I can no longer log in. I get a black screen with a mouse curser. It's one step down from earlier, where I still got to the password screen and could enjoy watching the circle of dots go round and round forever without logging me in.

F11 to boot menu and choosing C drive gives me a Windows prompt telling me that my Windows 10 version wasn't installed properly (no shit, Sherlock!) and asks me what to do. I have tried choosing repair (can't repair), tried installing a previous version (still get black screen after restart) and now I'm faced with the prospect of having to reset my OS and losing all my programs and files.

So yes, I kinda feel like slapping Microsoft with a class action lawsuit. I didn't ask for this toxic update. It installed itself and broke my system.

To Hell with you, Microsoft!

:)

Daniel1975, Oct 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 update broke my computer?

Hello. I'm quite unhappy with my entire experience. I have had to contact support multiple times because my computer "wasn't on the list" of computers able to run the latest updates. I find this incredibly ironic, as it has 8gb of ram, lots of disk space,
    and a very nice processor (~2.6ghz). I have had my agents help me as much as they could, and that wasn't the bad part, they did great! For a day... Somehow, even after they went and did the whole thing about delaying updates for 8 months or so, The Windows
    10 update installer app downloaded. It has hogged me for the past week, with me having to abort multiple updates, not wanting to lose my pc again. I am a student, and can not afford a new one, but just recently I gave up and let it update. It quit out halfway
    through, as usual, and went back to the same condition it was at. Nothing works.

This is not like last time, I had to get a Windows 10 system on a usb, and repair my boot loader last time. This time, Windows simply won't do anything. It's currently telling me the only option left is a hard reset.

I have physically tried everything besides a hard reset. I refuse. Why should I lose my personal belongings, when it's out of my control? This is not an issue with anything except Windows. What can be done about this? I am very disappointed in the fact this
    has ruined my computer, I really hope you can do something about this.

Moved from:
    Windows
    /Windows 10 /Performance & system failures

roanpatrick, Oct 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update broke my computer?

Hi Roan,

As a student, I understand the importance of using your computer. When an update is available, it’s automatically downloaded and installed, keeping your device up to date with the latest features. Windows updates
    includes quality improvements. For your reference, you may want to check the

latest improvements and fixes in Windows 10.

Furthermore, we’ve got a few handy recovery options for you to try. Don't fret, you can
    reset your PC to reinstall Windows 10. You'll get an option to remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you
    made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

Please post back with the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Melowin Mar, Oct 11, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Windows 10 update broke my computer.

I have faced something like that, once.

I booted to a USB Win 10 installation drive and ran "repair". The repair was to use a restore point.

After some cleanup, I ran the update again. No problems that time.

Do you have a backup method? If not, it's well past time to acquire one. (At least in the US, an external USB HD costs roughly $100.)

Best of luck.

bobkn, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Daniel1975,

Your frustration is understandable.

Do you know if you have a System Restore point?

That would be the fastest way to get back to where you were before the upgrade.

cottonball, Oct 11, 2016
  6. I was finally able to restore my computer to a previous backup, so it's working again - for the time being.

But I have lost faith in Microsoft's updates. So what do I do now? Simply turn off Windows Update and refuse all future versions? When you can't trust Microsoft to not break your stuff with lousy Windows10 updates, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to return to Windows 7. The last good Microsoft product.

Daniel1975, Oct 11, 2016
  7. I'm with Daniel 1975. I have had something that was broke with the past 3 updates for my machine. I agree 7 & XP were the best OS MS made. The latest update broke the Creative SB update service, had to upgrade from their site which fixed it. Just this morning I'm getting the same error on the Creative updates after yet another MS update. Apparently Gates has not the same character as Job's did, money hungry. I'm about ready to ditch 10 Pro and go back to 7 Pro from a disk image I did before upgrading to 10; or maybe run a 10 Pro disk image I done before all the useless updates broke stuff

oldyeller38, Oct 11, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

Thanks for suggesting that Steve Jobs wasn't motivated by money. Gave me my first smile today.

bobkn, Oct 12, 2016
  9. prikker Win User
    No problems what so ever with Windows 10.

prikker, Oct 12, 2016
  10. Had a few issues, and they seemed to coincide with a Microsoft update. Did not do anything to fix it for a day or two, then restarted the laptop a couple of times, and it started working OK. Go figure!?!

cottonball, Oct 12, 2016
  11. If the update fails, it is most likely due to an issue or incompatibility with software or drivers that already exist on the system. Your best bet is to clean install major versions.

It's not about faith in Microsoft, it's about the impossibility of predicting and testing for the trillion bazillion hardware and software iterations that exist. Luckily, Windows 10 is very easy to repair or install.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update broke my computer. - Similar Threads - update broke computer

2. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update broke my computer!: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 and now I can't click on apps, the start menu or anything else. No error message. My desktop keep flashing off about every 5 seconds and stops my typing on here. How can I fix this or get rid of this update? Please help...
  3. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update broke my computer!: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 and now I can't click on apps, the start menu or anything else. No error message. My desktop keep flashing off about every 5 seconds and stops my typing on here. How can I fix this or get rid of this update? Please help...
  4. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 update broke my computer!: Microsoft Windows pushed an update to version 2004 and forced me to reboot. I can no longer access my data drive E: with all my personal data files. I need to be put in touch with someone who can help fix what Microsoft broke! Microsoft no longer accepts phone calls....
  6. Windows 10 updates broke my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 updates broke my computer: I am both a user of Linux & Windows. I have Linux installed for mainly programming on my laptop. On my desktop which is, 16GB RAM with NVIDIA GTX 1050, I use my desktop for personal reasons, such filing taxes & reading emails. I have Kaspersky Security Cloud (paid) installed...
  7. Windows 10 Update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update broke my computer: Only way to fix computer was to fix was to get the data retrieved, wipe the drive and reload windows. Restore points, uninstalling update were completely useless. How to I get microsoft to compensate me for the repairs?...
  8. Windows 10 update broke my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update broke my computer: When trying to update my laptop it now says "Undoing changes made to your pc" and keeps going around again and again and I cant get into any part of my computer anymore. How do i stop this??...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my computer

Windows 10 update broke my computer: Windows installed an update that I kept prolonging and now my laptop is broken. First after tge update was installed, my laptop kept rebooting into a configuring windows screen for about 2 hrs. I decided to reboot it because i have college work that needs to be done. It went...
  10. Windows 10 update broke my computer

Windows 10 update broke my computer: I have Asus ROG desktop with Windows 10 on it. After the most recent update, my computer hasn't been normal. The icons on the desktop do not have names and only the mouse is active. I am able to open settings but cannot perform any tasks. I have tried to restore, reset, and...