Windows 10: Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

Discus and support Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A recent Windows reinstall on a laptop on July 3, 2018 changed the desktop computer to two Media Devices (for separate users). How do I delete the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CarlWellenstein, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

A recent Windows reinstall on a laptop on July 3, 2018 changed the desktop computer to two Media Devices (for separate users). How do I delete the Media Devices and connect tot he desktop?

:)

CarlWellenstein, Jul 5, 2018

2. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Jul 5, 2018
  3. Last Windows 10 update changed systems on my network to Media Devices

The last windows 10 update on my laptop changed the systems on my network in file manager to Media Devices. I can't see the drives on my other system. Just lists media.

I have 3 drives on my other system and I was able to access them from my laptop before the update.

Any help would be greatly appreciagted

DanHolahan, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

1. Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device - Similar Threads - update changed network

2. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...: 5/24/2021 It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running 5/14/21 update Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5003173. I have had repeated loss of my shared folder subsequent to updates. Is there a...
  3. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...: My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below. [ATTACH] It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running version 1903, currently on OS build 18362.418. This is my first time...
  4. Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...

Desktop computer showing up as a Media Device on the network instead of a Computer. Unable...: My Computer is showing up on the network as a Media Device, as seen below. [ATTACH] It shows up this way both on the Desktop machine itself, and the laptop trying to access it. The machine is running version 1903, currently on OS build 18362.418. This is my first time...
  5. After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices": After the last 2 Windows 10 updates my network computers are only listed on the network as "media devices". How do I correct this? thanks, Denis...
  6. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  7. Windows 10: folder shared between computers on a wifi network shows up as a Media Device

Windows 10: folder shared between computers on a wifi network shows up as a Media Device: I have two computers running Win 10, both up to date as of now (July 2018). I share a folder on one machine. On the other machine it shows up as a Media Device, not a folder. When I click it, it opens Windows Media Player (because I don't like Groove Music). So there is...
  8. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!: Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi. R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer...
  9. network changed to media device

network changed to media device: Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer. Media Steaming is off. The network page says computer1 and Media Devices says...
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 network shows computer as a media device

2. windows 10 change network media devices into computers