Windows 10: Windows 10 update confusion

Discus and support Windows 10 update confusion in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm not tech savvy at all, so I don't know why the Windows updates won't work on my computer. Each time I try to install the updates, a message comes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ChristineL, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Windows 10 update confusion

I'm not tech savvy at all, so I don't know why the Windows updates won't work on my computer. Each time I try to install the updates, a message comes up on the screen saying that doing the update may cause some of my audio and video files to not work correctly. Is it necessary to do the Windows update? I'm not sure what audio or video files would not work. I have mp3 music files on my computer and a few videos taken with my phone and/or digital camera. If I install the update, those files will not work?

Also, the last few times I clicked to shut down my computer it has an option of "update and shut down." I select the "update and shutdown" each time I turn off my computer, but nothing happens.

I'm very confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

ChristineL, Jan 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Jan 11, 2017
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CWindows 10 update confusion :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CWindows 10 update confusion :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Jan 11, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Windows 10 update confusion

I'm not surprised. Microsoft use the word 'update' for two very different things. There are two types of Windows 10 updates, security and bug-fix updates, and Features Updates. The security/bug fixes just patch a few of the files on your system - mostly these are the monthly 'Cumulative Updates'.

A 'Features Update' is actually a full upgrade, replacing your Windows 10 with a complete new system with new and updated features. There have been two Features Updates so far, 1511 (the Fall Update) and 1607 (the Anniversary Update).

To see what type of 'update' may be giving you problems, can you first tell us the current version of your Windows 10? Run Winver to find out, you can find it by typing Winver in the Cortana/Search box next to Start. Mine says: Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693). What does yours say?

5. Thank you for your reply, Bree. I checked to see which version of Windows I have. It says I have Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.753)

ChristineL, Jan 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You have the latest updates for version 1511. The January cumulative update took the build number up to 10586.753. The update that is causing you grief is almost certainly the 'Features update to Windows 10, version 1607' otherwise known as the Anniversary Update. This, as I said, is really a full upgrade and can take up to an hour to complete. That's why you are offer the two shutdown options: 'shutdown' or 'shutdown and update'. From what you say the update isn't working as it should.

Look at Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, click on Update history. Does it show a failed update or an update waiting to install? If so, can you post a screenshot.

Screenshot - Take in Windows 10
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums

7. I checked my update history. Here's a screenshot of what it said in my history. It looks like the update failed on January 9th.

ChristineL, Jan 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

That confirms that it's just the Anniversary Update that won't install. At least you now know that you are completely up to date for all the security updates, the new features in 1607 are not necessary for your security.

It's getting late here, so I'll look at this some more tomorrow, but one thought before I leave. Do you have any 3rd-party antivirus installed? Avast, amongst others, has been known to cause problems installing the Anniversary Update.

9. mrgeek Win User
    "I'm not sure what audio or video files would not work. I have mp3 music files on my computer and a few videos taken with my phone and/or digital camera. If I install the update, those files will not work?"

An Update would not affect mp3 or video files unless you are using Windows 10 apps to play but you could always find a 3rd party software to use instead. But you should ALWAYS have these files backed up REGULARLY somewhere, like and external drive, so they are not lost in case of an update or device failure.

mrgeek, Jan 14, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    As @ChristineL describes herself as "...not tech savy at all..." I read this as possibly being a message about the audio/video drivers rather that the file types supported. Your point about regular backups is well made though. You can never have enough backups.

@ChristineL, your system specs say you have a Dell Inspiron M531R 5535, is that correct? According to Dell this was originally supplied with Windows 8 and that Dell has tested this product to confirm that it can upgrade to Windows 10. However, it doesn't seem to be listed under Dell's list of Computers tested for upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update which may explain the message, its a precautionary warning.

Having said that, neither of my laptops are even on their respective manufacturer's list of 'supported for Windows 10' and they both run the Anniversary Update flawlessly. I suspect yours will too (a Google search cannot find anyone reporting problems for this model) but in the event that it causes problems you would have 10 days from a successful update to the AU (1607) in which you can undo the upgrade and go back to your current version 1511.

You don't need the AU to continue using your laptop. You will continue to get all the security and bug-fix updates for your current version. The features updated in the AU include an updated layout for the Start Menu and the ability for Edge to use extensions, the Settings app has been extended and now includes more settings that were previously in the control panel. All are 'nice to have' but not strictly essential.

There's no rush to get the AU installed, we can take our time and investigate why it isn't installing for you. There are alternative ways to apply the Anniversary Update we could try.

11. Yes, I have a Dell Inspiron M531R-5535. When I bought my computer it was before Windows 10 was on the market. Last year I decided to update to Windows 10 on my computer.

I used to have Avast on my computer, but I removed it when I installed Kaspersky anti-virus. Would Kaspersky affect the update not working?

ChristineL, Jan 15, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    One simple reason for the Anniversary Update not being able to install may be not enough free disk space. How much do you have? At least 20GB free space is normally needed. This is required to save your old system in case you need to go back to your previous version.

How did you remove Avast? Like most AVs, just uninstalling it can sometimes leave bits behind. And like most others, Avast provide a clean-up tool. Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal This should be safe to run, even if you have already uninstalled Avast. The update may then be able to install.

I haven't found many reports on the forum of Kaspersky affecting the update, but there were reports of the update affecting Kaspersky. Anniversary update vs virus protection software

Check you have the latest updates and read Kaspersky's FAQ: Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update If after reading that you feel you'd like to uninstall Kaspersky, they too have a removal tool. But if yours is a paid-for version, note that...
    http://support.kaspersky.com/common/...e.aspx?el=1464

There was just one forum post I found where an older version of Kaspersky was preventing the update.
    Anniversary Update won't install because "Name not available" app can'

13. Windows 10 update confusion

I downloaded the Avast Uninstall Utility. It said to run the utility in safe mode, so I searched online to find out how to get my computer in safe mode. However, when I was in safe mode I could not go online. Then I tried to restart my computer. And my computer shut down, but did not restart. I tried turning on my computer with the power button and now my computer won't even start/turn on at all. I don't know what to do.

ChristineL, Jan 23, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any signs of life at all? Any of the LEDs light up? Do you see the Dell logo when you try to turn it on? Can you get to the bios screen? Do you get any error messages?

15. Thankfully after awhile I was able to get my computer to turn on again. I think my laptop battery was getting low. For some reason the last couple of times I turned on my computer, the battery power level indicator icon was no longer showing up on my task bar, so I had no clue as to how much battery power I had left. Today the battery power level indicator is showing up again on the task bar.

Do I need to be in safe mode to use the Avast Uninstall Utility? If I do need to be in safe mode, I can't go online and I could not find the Avast download when I was in safe mode, so I don't know how I could access the uninstall utility software to use it.

ChristineL, Jan 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update confusion - Similar Threads - update confusion

2. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  3. 22H2 Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 Update Confusion: Yesterday the 22H2 update became available for my machine currently on Windows 11 Home 21H2. Tried to update through Windows update, stalled at 8% downloaded, after 2 hours of waiting, put it on pause because of other commitments, planning to retry updating this evening when...
  4. I confused automatically installed antivirus software with new Windows update, and detleted...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I confused automatically installed antivirus software with new Windows update, and detleted...: After installing uTorrent i had RAV Endpoint Protection,automaticly installed, i actually thaught that it was a strange windows antiwirus update first, and i did the foolishest thing ever-ran a scan with it, it has concluded I have malware, something with my webcam etc and i...
  5. Intel microcode update confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Intel microcode update confusion: Windows 10 Home v 20H2 x64 Asking about Intel microcode update for Spectre/Meltdown protection. CPU is i5-2400S, and apparently KB4465065 addresses variants of both issues. However confused over whether or not this update can/should be applied: GRC InSpectre reports all...
  6. Small Business In Need of Dire Help Amid Update Confusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Small Business In Need of Dire Help Amid Update Confusion: Hi, Our Shop has 2 dell laptops both the same models, one is from May 2020 we bought and another in Nov 2020. The May laptop apparently did the 20H2 update but today it has four options on the power button, update and restart, restart, shutdown, and update and shutdown. In...
  7. New Microsoft 2020 updates makes my laptop a lot slower and more confusing

New Microsoft 2020 updates makes my laptop a lot slower and more confusing: So I paused an update since May 2020 and I resume it on Des 2020, I thought this will fix some of my hardware and devices issues, I updated it to 100%, Opened it with caution and big expectation just to look at everything goes down: - Cortana opened again - Almost every...
  8. AMD Driver update confusion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD Driver update confusion: I have a laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfxseen from system properties so can I install Auto-Detect and Install Updates for Radeon™ Graphics and Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers for Windows®. Do it update AMD Radeon settings lite software also? Is that safe?...
  9. Help on Oct 2020 update confusion

Help on Oct 2020 update confusion: Hi yesterday October 18, I had to do the update and restart my laptop, which took over an hour for it to complete. But today after signing into my laptop, this appeared in my power button and now I am concerned that maybe yesterday's update and restart didn't work as it...
  10. Confusing approach to windows updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confusing approach to windows updates?: This is both a complaint about, and request for how to fix/recognise, an issue involving confusing update messaging by Microsoft. I'm using windows 10-2004 on a desktop. Migrated from windows 7 4 months ago. Recently there were media advisories about an out-of-band...