Windows 10: Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options

Discus and support Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I first installed the Win 10 Preview, it set up a dual boot (actually triple boot, 3 OS's - Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10). One of the Win 10 updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Dec 13, 2014.

1. fireberd Win User

Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options

When I first installed the Win 10 Preview, it set up a dual boot (actually triple boot, 3 OS's - Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10). One of the Win 10 updates corrupted it. I've tried to fix it by booting with all 3 OS install discs and running "bootrec.exe".

Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd returns "Total identified windows installations 0"
    Bootrec.exe/scanos lists all 3 OS'

Originally, I had a dual boot with Win 7/Win 8.1 until I installed the Win 10 Preview.

I no longer get boot options. On a power on or restart it will either boot directly to Win 10 Preview or to Win 7. I have to enter the BIOS and select which OS I want.

Jack

:)

fireberd, Dec 13, 2014
  2. Sankha. Win User

I have Dual Booting Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 8.1 Pro, Is upgrading my windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 will erase Windows 7 ?

I already reserved for windows 10 upgrade in my windows 8.1 pc. But as i have dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 8.1 Pro, am worried if i update windows 8.1 to windows 10 , my windows 7 might get corrupted or unable to start after my windows 8.1 completed
    to update wndows 10. Can anybody explain this ?? If it is safe to upgrade to windows 10 in dual boot desktop pc ??

Sankha., Dec 13, 2014
  3. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Dec 13, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

I had the same thing once.
    Try holding Shift then press Restart, on the blue screen choose 'Change Defaults', the 'Timeout' entry might be 0
    Change it back to 30 seconds or whatever.

Edwin, Dec 13, 2014
  5. fireberd Win User
    "Shift then Restart" when or where?

I can check the timeout setting in msconfig.

fireberd, Dec 13, 2014
  6. Edwin New Member
    Bring up Power Menu, hold Shift before pressing Restart.
    For some reason it doesn't matter what's listed in msconfig.
    (might not be the problem but it's worth a shot)

Edwin, Dec 13, 2014
  7. fireberd Win User
    Thanks for the timeout fix. It was set to 0 in the primary system's "msconfig" for the OS boot selection. Setting it back to 30 seconds fixed the problem.

Jack

fireberd, Dec 13, 2014
  8. Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options

Yep get used to that one major updates 10 will always do that :/

ThrashZone, Dec 13, 2014
  9. Winuser Win User
    I dual boot and so far it hasn't happened to me. *Smile Good info to have in case it ever does happen though.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update corrupted dual boot options - Similar Threads - update corrupted dual

2. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  3. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot option not showing: Have Windows 7 and installed now istalled windows 10 on seperate drive but DUAL BOOT Option not showing help pleaseBoth drives show in BIOS and if changed in BIOS can boot to each OS But...I need option on start up of selecting the OS.Asus Mobo windows 7 on 500gb SSD and...
  4. Dual boot option not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dual boot option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot option: Hello sir, i have a dual boot os on my windows 10 and i already delete the other one using msconfig option, Now i want to bring back the dual boot option again.. Is it possible?...
  6. Dual boot corrupts windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual boot corrupts windows: After i dual booted my computer with Windows 10 and Windows 7, every time I try to boot up to windows 10, it bluescreens and gives me the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO". When windows 7 was fresh, my windows 10 worked absolutely fine, but after i installed drivers for windows...
  7. Windows Update 1809 dual boot now corrupt

Windows Update 1809 dual boot now corrupt: I just updated my laptop to version 1809, in the past 2 hours and I am dual booting linux and windows 10. I am now unable to boot into linux for some reason and all it says in my update history is the picture below, there is no update version. What has happened to my...
  8. Dual Boot System "Windows 10 on Volume ..." sequence is corrupt

Dual Boot System "Windows 10 on Volume ..." sequence is corrupt: Hi I have a Windows 10 Dual Boot System. When I boot up, I get the options: Windows 10 on Volume 2 Windows 10 on Volume 4 These are separate physical disks. The former (volume 2) is the default and is booting fine (touch wood). But right now, the install on volume 4...
  9. Dual boot no option menu

Dual boot no option menu: I'm currently running ver 14393 (32) and tried installing 14986 (insider) on a partition. The install went ok but the installed version had some problems: repeated BSODs and really slow response. The hard part was getting back to my working version. I thought there was a boot...
  10. Dual Boot Option Missing

Dual Boot Option Missing: It was there - options for booting into Win7 or Technical Preview. The 'time to display....' is set at 30 seconds but only Win7 is showing. Any thoughts appreciated - regards. 3716