Windows 10: windows 10 update crashed computer

Discus and support windows 10 update crashed computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My windows 10 was driving me crazy trying & failing to update. I tried to stop auto update , but couldn't. Finally I went to Microsoft and downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dirklurk, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dirklurk Win User

windows 10 update crashed computer

My windows 10 was driving me crazy trying & failing to update. I tried to stop auto update , but couldn't. Finally I went to Microsoft and downloaded the correct update. It downloaded for a long time and when activated later, it updated for over an hour. It then went to a blue screen where it asked info on my country, time zone, etc. It then went to a second blue screen where it asked for other preferences. I then hit "next" and the computer restarted. When it came back on, it was back at the first blue screen. It just recycles to those two blue screens over and over. My keyboard doesn't work and neither does the right or left click on the mouse.
    I'm completely helpless without a computer as I can't even check my bank account, pay bills, get emails' or even ask for help. I'm on a friends computer now , and have been without communication for over a week. I Tried using a recovery thumb drive I made, but it asks for my password. None I've used works and I'm not sure if it is one it made up, or one that came with the installation disk, which I can't find. Please help!!

:)

dirklurk, Jan 1, 2017
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

Windows 10 Update Crashed Computer

Dear Stanse919,

I'm Ugo, a Microsoft Independent Advisor willing to help other Microsoft customers.

Regarding your question, first of all let me say I'm really sorry for your issue and I can advice, for the next time, to post your technical questions in this free community where, I can guarantee, someone of us will bring you hand by hand till a satisfactory
    solution.

Unfortunately, we are not Microsoft employees, so we cannot directly help you with your request. My best advice is to contact Microsoft directly to the below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Please let me know if this helped somehow.

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Jan 1, 2017
  3. stanse919 Win User
    Windows 10 Update Crashed Computer

I purchased a Lenovo computer a little over a year ago for home use that came with Windows 10 already installed on it. A few days ago when I started up my computer all I could get was a blue error screen with the message that automatic repair could not
    repair my computer. Since this automatic repair mode kept cycling I was unable to log onto my computer. After doing a little research on my own, I found that this problem requires a re-installation of Windows 10 in order to fix. Since my computer came with
    Windows 10 already installed (I did have the product code I might mention) I contacted the business where I purchased it. They informed me that due to a fault in a Windows Update, this problem had presented itself. They provided me with what I needed to re-install
    Windows 10. After re-installing Windows 10 it refused to recognize my external devices (printer, external speaker, etc). In spite of the fact that I have the installation CD's for these devices, it blocked me from installing them. Neither would it allow me
    to access any Word or Excel files or view photos. The error message I kept getting now was "your organization has used Windows Defender to block this app. Visit the app store for an authorized app". After spending hours (literally) attempting to restore my
    computer to "before update" status I gave up and took it to a repair shop. The service technician also confirmed that, due to a Windows update, this problem had been created and that he had other units with the identical problem that he was repairing. This
    ended up costing me $110.00 to finally get fixed enough to be able to use my computer! I feel as if I should not be penalized for Microsoft's faulty programming and that I should be reimbursed the $110.00 I had to pay to have an almost brand new computer repaired.
    How would I go about requesting that?

stanse919, Jan 1, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Which update are you talking about? What did you download? What was its filename?

Bree, Jan 1, 2017
  5. dirklurk Win User
    The windows update was the latest on-- KP something. Obviously I can't give the exact one since I can't get online. Iinstalled it from a factory disc I bought from Amazon in July 2014. Other updates installed OK , but all updates have caused some minor problems. All other info including passwords are locked in my computer. I have a bad feeling this update deleted my entire OS and then stalled on installing new one. When I first tried to update, it said I could only use the version that deleted all files, so I copied all files except OS on to another HD. So, I still have my files, just no usable computer to use them. Any ideas?
    PS It's a home edition (Enterprise, I think) 64

dirklurk, Jan 2, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That means that you downloaded the wrong version of Winodws 10 that did not match what you had installed. If you need to save more files, I would recommend you download Kyhi's Recovery Tools, make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD from it, and either copy what you need to keep using file explorer or make an image of the entire partition using Macrium Reflect Free.

Then figure out which version of Windows 10 you had installed and do a clean install of it after you make a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. Read my quote in the middle of the OP of the Kyhi's recovery tools thread and you can make a USB flash drive that boots to Kyhi's recovery tools and you can install Windows 10 from. It were me, I would start with just plain Windows 10 64-bit. Not Single Language Edition, not N Edition, just plain Windows 10 from here:
    Microsoft Windows 10 ISO Download

Then get 64-bit Kyhi's recovery tools and convert the Windows 10 USB flash drive to a combination flash drive by copying the boot.wim file:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Start by installing Home edition. You will want to select the custom install option, and delete all the existing partitions except for a data partition if you had one created. Install Winodws 10 to the unallocated space - do not create any new partitions for it, let Windows setup do that on it's own.

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2017
  7. dirklurk Win User
    Hi, I copied the two files to a disk and took them home to install. Unfortunately, my computer did not recognize them. I didn't know which file to open first, but both files gave me a black dos type screen saying to reboot using a valid file format. I then remembered that my system is a UEFI type, so that may be the problem. Which version would I need to download for that. I bought a thumb drive and will use that this time. It's a 64 bit UEFI type system, and I remember this gave me a real headache installing windows 8. You've been very quick in getting back to me and I really appreciate that as I'm having to impose on my across town friend in using his computer.

dirklurk, Jan 4, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Here's what to do, pretty much step by step. Prepare the new flash drive to be bootable in both a UEFI and a legacy BIOS computer as follows:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9 make sure to use the FAT32 file system (read the important box below the step):
    9. To format the partition as FAT32, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

Don't worry about step 12 - we'll get to that in a minute.

Next you need the Windows 10 ISO file. If you already download the just plain Windows 10 ISO file you can use what you have downloaded. You want just plain Windows 10 64-bit. Not Single Language Edition, not N Edition, just plain Windows 10 from here:
    Microsoft Windows 10 ISO Download

Once you have the Windows 10 ISO file you need to mount it. In Windows 8 or 10 you just need to right click on it and select mount. In Windows 7 you need a program to mount it. WinCDEmu is a program you can use to mount it in Windows 7:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...

Once you mount the ISO file, it should open with it's own drive letter, a virtual DVD. Copy all the files and folders from the new drive letter to the USB flash drive you just prepared. This is performing step 12 of that procedure. You now have a USB flash drive that you can boot your computer from and install Windows 10 with.

If you want to go one step further, read my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Download Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO file, 64-bit, if you don't already have it. Mount it like you did the Windows ISO file. Go the the \Sources folder of the drive letter that opens. Copy the boot.wim file to the \Sources folder on the USB flash drive. You will have to overwrite the existing boot.wim file. You can rename the existing boot.wim file to boot.bak if you want to before copying over it.

If you do the extra step, the USB flash drive will boot into Kyhi's recovery tools and you have all the utilities available on it. To install Windows 10 from it you will use file explorer to go to the USB flash drive and just run setup.exe from it. Windows 10 setup will start just like as if you booted from a Windows 10 installation disk/flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2017
  9. dirklurk Win User
    I appreciate your latest advice, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I went online to learn how to get into command prompt and typed in diskpart. It opened and displayed an explanation of command prompts, but no list of devices. I used file explorer to see that the USB was recognized as drive G. I used select G, and it replied that select was not a proper command. Same thing with (G),g, =G, and clean. I used and online command that started with WMIC logicaldisk get deviceid, etc. and it listed drive F and G. However, I could not get the computer to go to them.
    I can't go on any longer today, as my friend's computer is in an unheated room and my hands are freezing. Also, his printer doesn't work and I have to write all your instructions down. I won't be able to come back over here until next Tuesday, so please see if you can find a solution by then as I have bills I must pay and It's all done online.
    Thanks again for your help. Bill

dirklurk, Jan 7, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Windows 10, the easiest way to open a Command Prompt (Admin) is to right click on the start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. My USB flash drive will be drive 2 in the following example because I have an SSD as my primary drive and a HDD for secondary storage.

In a Command Prompt (Admin), the commands you type will be in bold:

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MAIN-DESKTOP DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 111 GB 0 B * Disk 1 Online 931 GB 2048 KB * Disk 2 Online 28 GB 0 B DISKPART> select disk 2 Disk 2 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> clean DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> create part pri DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> select part 1 Partition 1 is now the selected partition. DISKPART> format fs=fat32 quick 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> active DiskPart marked the current partition as active. DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... C:\Windows\system32> exit[/quote] When you do select disk X - make sure you pick the disk number of the USB flash drive! You can tell by the size listed in the list disk results.

Then right click on the Windows 10 iso file and select mount. It will open the image in a new drive letter, a virtual DVD drive. Select all the files and folders and copy them to the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2017
  11. dirklurk Win User
    Today is Jan. 12 and I just tried your instructions. When I typed "list disk", it came back saying that "list" was not recognized as a valid command. I have thought about this, and wonder if this is because my home computer is an HEFI computer and my friend's computer ( the one I'm using now to download the program) is not. Do they use the same commands? If not, is there a way around this?
    If I understand you, the programs I downloaded before ,which didn't work on my computer, will if we can figure out how to download these new commands. Please let me know what else I can do, and thanks for your assistance. Bill

dirklurk, Jan 11, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    You must open a 'Command prompt (Admin)' then type DISKPART and press 'enter' before you can use 'list disk'.

windows 10 update crashed computer [​IMG]

13. dirklurk Win User

OK, today is the 13th and I did manage to format a USB drive. I tried to download to window 10 file ,but it was too large. I then bought a 32gb drive and tried to format it. It got to the format fs=fat32 quick line and said it was incompatible. I kept repeating the process, and it finally did format in fat32. When I tried downloading the win 10 file on to it, it did the same thing as before and said there was not enough room. I tried downloading it from a disk I burned, and it said the same. I tried the winpesse file from a disc, and it did record OK. Under properties, it says I have 28+gigs left on the USB, but still says it's not enough when I try to transfer the win 10 ISI file to it.
    Also, when do I mount the files which do I mount first? Every time I try mount a file,it says a virtual file can't be transferred ( or something like that)

dirklurk, Jan 12, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you trying to save the ISO file itself to the USB flash drive? You can't do that because of the limits of the FAT32 file system. You have to save the ISO file itself on the computer's hard drive. Then you mount the file from the computers hard drive. After you have the ISO file mounted, a new drive letter will open which is a virtual DVD drive and will have files and folders on it. You select all the files and folders and copy those to the USB flash drive.

This is the ISO file stored on my hard drive. I have right clicked on it. Notice the Mount option at the top of the context menu:

When I clicked on Mount, I: drive appears and opens as a "DVD drive", but it is a fake DVD drive, it is just the mounted ISO file. Then I would select everything in the I: drive that appeared and copy everything to the USB flash drive:

When you are done, your USB flash drive should have a FAT32 partition on it that is marked as active (mine is H: drive below). On that USB flash drive should be the same files and folders shown in the screen capture directly above):

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
  15. dirklurk Win User
    Ok, I got the win file mounted and on the thumb drive. I mounted the winpese file and tried to add it to the drive, but may have copied over the first win 10 file. So, I mounted them on two separate drives. I still don't know which file I should try to upload first. I'll just have to play with them and figure it out.
    Now, if this works, and I get it installed, will I still need to download the windows 10 upgrade? Also, which version of windows will I now have?
    Thanks again, and I'll get back to you with the results.

dirklurk, Jan 14, 2017
Thema:

1. windows 10 update crashed computer - Similar Threads - update crashed computer

2. Windows 10 updates crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 updates crashing my computer: Windows crashed my computer this morning doing these 2 updates the 2022-12 update has crashed before... Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. 2022-12 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5012170 2023-05 Cumulative Update...
  3. Windows 10 updates crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates crashing my computer: Windows crashed my computer this morning doing these 2 updates the 2022-12 update has crashed before... Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. 2022-12 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5012170 2023-05 Cumulative Update...
  4. Computer crashed with pending Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashed with pending Windows 10 update: The May 10 update of Windows 10 downloaded to my home computer running Windows 10 Professional on May 11, 2022. I did not install and reboot at that time. On May 13, I signed out of my computer and placed it in "Sleep" mode in preparation to go to work. The Windows update was...
  5. Computer crashed with pending Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashed with pending Windows 10 update: The May 10 update of Windows 10 downloaded to my home computer running Windows 10 Professional on May 11, 2022. I did not install and reboot at that time. On May 13, I signed out of my computer and placed it in "Sleep" mode in preparation to go to work. The Windows update was...
  6. Windows 10 updated and my computer crashed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updated and my computer crashed: Windows 10 has been telling me it needed to install its latest update. I kept putting it off for the last couple weeks and yesterday a window popped up telling me to pick a time for the install. I put in 3:30 AM and when I woke up this AM it apparently had installed. My...
  7. windows 10 update crashed my computer

windows 10 update crashed my computer: my computer crashed from win 10 update, I tried to get fixed myself big mistake I thought I had it fixed so I rebooted it but i needed to reactivate windows ,before i rebooted , so now it is stuck in reboot loop and I don't know what to do. I need help * Moved from...
  8. Updated to windows 10, computer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Updated to windows 10, computer keeps crashing: Hello, I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 just before the beginning of the year and for some reason my computer keeps crashing at random intervals. It goes to the blue screen and at the bottom says "Critical Structure Corruption" and restarts. When it first started...
  9. Windows 10 update crashing my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update crashing my computer: Hey there! I am looking for a solution to fix my laptop due to the latest windows 10 update. After installing the update for the windows 10, I encountered the following problems: not being able to start my laptop as normal applications not responding computer just hanging...
  10. windows 10 update crashes computer

windows 10 update crashes computer: On 08/03/2018 I downloaded Win 10 update which would completely download keep freezing at 56% complete. After numerous attempts as suggested by MS community, I reverted to the factory settings. This move removed all my drivers & I am unable to load with either the DVD...