Windows 10: Windows 10 update deleted my OS partition and backup partition

Discus and support Windows 10 update deleted my OS partition and backup partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have (had?) a laptop with windows 10 from the "free" upgrade. I was away at a funeral for a family member and Win10 did its usual incessant... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GSong, Aug 8, 2018.

1. GSong Win User

Windows 10 update deleted my OS partition and backup partition

I have (had?) a laptop with windows 10 from the "free" upgrade. I was away at a funeral for a family member and Win10 did its usual incessant downloading. It downloaded a version update and before the funeral it asked for a re-boot. Why not? I'll begne for several hours. When I returned after 6 hours the computer was locked. I had to hard shut it down.
    when I tried to re-boot it. the sighna that no OS was there appeared. When i returned home, AI had software that indicated thet the partition with the OS and with the backup files were both deleted. A third non-OS partition was untouched.
    I cannot identify my license number because everything is gone.
    Any ideas on how to recover my OS and partitions?
    G

:)

GSong, Aug 8, 2018
  2. okidna Win User

Delete my W10 Partition

Do you want to safely delete your Windows 10 partition and use only Windows 7?

If Yes, then boot to your Windows 7, run msconfig, go to "Boot" tab, you will see something like this :

Windows 10 update deleted my OS partition and backup partition boot-png.png

Choose "Windows 7" and click "Set as default", then choose "Windows 10" and click "Delete", restart if asked or necessary.
    Now the boot information for Windows 10 has been deleted and you can safely delete your Windows 10 partition (make sure no important files are on the Win10 partition). To delete and extend your partition you can use many partition manager tools.

okidna, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Aug 8, 2018
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update deleted my OS partition and backup partition - Similar Threads - update deleted partition

2. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  3. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  4. Deleting Partition

Deleting Partition: I just don't know how to delete a Partition.Alright so I formatted my PC months ago and when I was on the disk part I did a Partition of my main SSD 106 GB & 116GB But right now my C: Partition is full and I want to undo that change but I never knew how my PC right now is 781...
  5. Deleted Partition

Deleted Partition: Hi, I have 1TB disk and someday I splitted the disk. So I had C 200gb and D 800gb. Today I managed to restore my PC and somehow the D partition has disappeared. Now I only have 200gb. What can I do? I already tried 3 different programs to recover the partition but none of...
  6. windows 10 deleting partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 deleting partitions: Which partitions can I safely delete. I want to get rid of constant message pop up "low disc space on recovery D" [img] 76237
  7. Delete OS Partition on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete OS Partition on HDD: Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone...
  8. deleting partitions,..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    deleting partitions,..: i deleted all the partitions on my hdd,..and created new partitions,...now i cant get the os to install,... 27198
  9. Windows 10 deletes partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 deletes partitions: Hay, i want to ask something. I have windows 10. I installed it recently. Before installing it, i installed 8 other versions of windows (from windows 2000 all versions up to windows 8). All of those 9 windows installations are on the same hard drive. Untill i installed...
  10. Deleted OS Partition and Need Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted OS Partition and Need Help: Hello. I have an Acer laptop that had Windows 8 on it. We took the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 and tried it for a few months. Now I decided to try to install Windows 7 on it. I put the disc in the drive and booted. I deleted all partitions except for the data partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 update deletes c drive partition when restarting