Windows 10: Windows 10 update: endless failed installation reboot Feb 2017

Discus and support Windows 10 update: endless failed installation reboot Feb 2017 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I work in IT in a University and last week I prepped and set up a number of W10 computers for Student Admin DYI use. Everything up to date,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rojer5156, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rojer5156 Win User

Windows 10 update: endless failed installation reboot Feb 2017

Hi,
    I work in IT in a University and last week I prepped and set up a number of W10 computers for Student Admin DYI use. Everything up to date, tested, functioning smoothly. Today, (first day of classes and I go in to just make sure) and the computers have been bricked by an update. Endless 'Installation failed, press any key to restart' and on it goes. Safe mode doesn't work. Win10 install Disc Repair doesn't work. Nothing works. This is totally unacceptable, particularly when advice received goes along the lines of "If you are stuck in a reboot cycle please go to the control panel and .....". We have resigned ourselves to the inevitability of a complete rebuild and a huge delay/cost associated with that. I will point out that no cloning/dsim or other reproduction techniques were used. This was a clean individual install of W10Ent to several machines. We have applied for extra manpower solely to deal with the expected W10 problems but I'm getting the feeling that the unexpected ones are going to require even more. This is not a suitable OS for mission critical situations (and this is not the first major stoppage, we have 2 surface pro 4's on their way back to MS for un****ing, and I have a list of tickets with similiar inquiries/faults). I use to think I was a Pro in IT but W10 has reduced me to damn near tears. Just saying.

:)

rojer5156, Feb 26, 2017
  2. Jane Han Win User

fail to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1067 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)

Hi, PA Bear:

Since Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - February 2017 (KB890830) and Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4010250)
    were installed to my computer successfully on Feb. 24, 2017, Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986) comes back to my computer again and it installs and fails to install every time I turn on my computer.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Jane Han, Feb 26, 2017
  3. AS_95 Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Reboot in endless loop

I updated my HP Windows 10 Pro laptop with the recent Windows 10 Anniversary update. It was successful for the most part however the last update reboot went into an endless loop for more than 24 hours, so I have tried Shift+F8 at Power-on and the self repair
    has failed, the rollback to previous install has failed, now I am doing reinstall to factory setting while saving my data. It has also been in endless loop for more than 12 hours. Can someone please suggest a solution?

Also I had the same endless loop reboot problem on my Desktop upgrade, however I was able to overcome by aborting the reboot with Ctrl-C. I suspected that my Norton Antivirus may be keeping in the endless loop so I uninstalled it. My desktop issues is now
    resolved.

However the same Ctrl-C is not working on Laptop. Also my laptop does not have antivirus but Windows Defender, so it is not the same issue there. I suspect it is some driver that is not compatible, but I not sure how to override or rollback to previous install?

AS_95, Feb 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I sympathise with your plight- fortunately not one I've experienced.

Others may have better ideas.. but noting you've not had a reply...

a. Can you invoke system restore by booting from a Win 10 install disk, then click 'Repair your computer' and navigate through Troubleshooting to System Restore?

b. Failing that, and this is significantly less than ideal, can you restore the backup copy of the registry?
    Boot from e.g. a Win 10 install disk or bootable disk such as Kyhi's at the top of the Software and Apps section of this forum

The Windows 10 backup copy of the registry is under:
    C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack
    Boot up the PC using WinPE or Installation Disk into command prompt and copy all files under RegBack to C:\Windows\System32\config

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...cture1.png?s=c1e8b753a573dc6e5ffc1ac8c4009171

(This will probably leave inconsistencies between some files and the registry, and I can't advise how you might reconcile those simply).

I'm wondering whether you have ever considered the routine use of disk imaging so you have a quick way of recovering?
    Also whether you have considered any of the various was of restricting Windows updates so that you can test them before general deployment?

Windows update log files
    You are probably aware of this, which seems to make accessing them in this instance remarkably challenging.
    You'd have to extract them and process them on another machine, unless perhaps you can do that having booted using Kyhi's boot disk.

This indicates where they are located:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/...ndowsupdatelog

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update: endless failed installation reboot Feb 2017 - Similar Threads - update endless failed

2. windows 10 update => endless reboot [February 2021]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update => endless reboot [February 2021]: Hello, Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB4601319 - caused a continuous restart/boot/update/restart/... endless loop. I've used the restore point option via advanced troubleshoot but still, I have to take the updates as I see them...
  3. Endless reboots following update installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Endless reboots following update installation: I have a computer I don't use often. I booted it up to check for updates. There were several. It was installing the last update when it just rebooted on it's own. No warning. No prompt. I thought it was just part of the update. During the reboot I expected to see the usual...
  4. Windows 10 1903 update caught in an endless reboot cycle

Windows 10 1903 update caught in an endless reboot cycle: I just was updating to Windows 10 1903. I began the update at about 12am. It is now 5 am and the update is still not complete. It keeps restarting, flashes a Undoing changes made screen and that's it. Been doing this for two hours at least. What do I do? I can run a repair...
  5. Installing Windows 10, endless updates?

Installing Windows 10, endless updates?: [IMG]I recently cleared everything and reinstalled windows 10 on an old computer, but after restarting, i got this screen. I hit okay and it updated, but when i checked on it 20 minutes later, it was on this screen again. I have done this at least 10 times today, and it just...
  6. Windows 10 updates fail, caught in endless loop

Windows 10 updates fail, caught in endless loop: My husbands has a Lenovo Idea pad 320 that came with Windows 10. It has never worked properly since he got it as it instantly needed Windows updates. The updates running in the background render the computer unusable and when they are downloaded, the screen goes black in...
  7. Endless Reboot after Windows update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Endless Reboot after Windows update: My Windows 10 updated last night with the cryptic message "Your files are Safe" update. Then none of my programs would open. When i rebooted I became stuck in an endless reboot cycle. I don't know how to get out of the cycle. I get to the login page then the laptop...
  8. 2017-09 Cumulative Update failed to install

2017-09 Cumulative Update failed to install: My last successful update version was build 413. Each cumulative update since then has failed to install. Latest message was "2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) - Error 0x8e5e0147". Any suggestions on how I can rectify? 94249
  9. Endless Reboot

Endless Reboot: Hello everyone, I downloaded and installed the updates and, when it asked me to reboot, I did. However, I had to leave the house, so I left it to restart. When I came back almost 6 hours later I saw the black screen with the dots moving in a circle indicating some sort of...
  10. Endless reboots after resetting windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Endless reboots after resetting windows 10: Hello everyone, I did the reset this pc option from Windows 10 and let it do its thing but now when the computer boots up it will bring up the blue hi there screen and let me fill out my country, app language, keyboard layout, and time zone, click next and then the get...