Windows 10: Windows 10 update freezes computer

Discus and support Windows 10 update freezes computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The last couple of days, I keep getting notices for a huge update, I click to start the update and while it is installing, it reboots a couple of time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Binkie, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Binkie Win User

Windows 10 update freezes computer

The last couple of days, I keep getting notices for a huge update, I click to start the update and while it is installing, it reboots a couple of time, then nothing, just a black screen. Computer still on but froze up...

I hold the off/on switch until it goes out.. I reboot the machine, a screen comes back up saying it is reverting back to latest version..

Been going through this now for two days..Tried running the Microsoft trouble shooting and repair, says all is OK..Try to update once m ore same thing..

Tried rebooting and continue hitting F5 for safe mode, nothing, starts normally..

This machine was windows 7 at one time, I fought it until the last before upgrading. I sometimes wonder why..

Any ideas as how I can get this update installed with out a freeze up.

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1607
    OS Build:1429.1758
    Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2320 CPU @3.00 GHz 3.00
    Installed Ram: 8.00GB (7.88 GB usable)
    System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks

Ron..

:)

Binkie, Jun 15, 2017

2. Still having freezing issues after windows 10 anniversary update

Hi Chris,

I have checked those general causes regarding Windows freezing but this issue is known by Microsoft. This freezing issue starts when you update to the windows 10 anniversary using a SSD. If you go back to a previous build there is no such problem so its
    something wrong with this update.

Thanks anyway!

Firat_0088, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Windows update freezes

Windows 10 update freezes while installing, it turns computer on twice and then freezes. l have tried this 5 times is there a way I can turn windows assitance off, it is on auto update?

CarolSumner, Jun 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, sorry to hear of your problem.

Your build number looks strange: this is the latest I have for the AU (1607)

Windows 10 update freezes computer [​IMG]

Could you try Windows key + R, winver, and advise?

Let's see if the failed update is listed.

Please post a screenshot of your Update History.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image button above your post to the left of the video icon.
    Also of your partitions:
    Windows key + X, Disk Management.Please also do these basic checks:
    Your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Your system files
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the summary result.

The exact error message of the upgrade failure would help.

Thanks.

I would guess the update is the new Creator's Upgrade, the next major build.
    I would advise you act defensively and wisely, and create (or update) a disk image of your system. A few people have significant difficulty with the replacement of the whole of Windows.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage (e.g. 1-2Tb) for disk image sets; option Backup, Windows Backup.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Binkie Win User
    Will look into this..

Binkie, Jun 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    1. There's no indication of a failed update - I suppose, since it's rolling back, it's possible the CU upgrade failure won't even be recorded.

2. As above:
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions:
    Windows key + X, Disk Management.

3. I think you're saying chkdsk passed ok.

4. Did you run SFC /SCANNOW?
    Your system files
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the summary result.

Assuming the above is ok, and you then create a disk image for your security, then

Download the iso:
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Be ready to attempt a manual upgrade
    - read carefully, noting all preparatory steps
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - making sure to disconnect any unnecessary peripherals

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update freezes computer - Similar Threads - update freezes computer

2. Computer freezes and Windows 10 update errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer freezes and Windows 10 update errors: Hi,I have had a computer issue for a while now where my PC completely freezes, often with a buzzing sound coming through my headphones. My computer is coming up on 6 years old and runs Windows 10This occurs usually when playing games but sometimes on the desktop browsing or...
  3. Computer freezes and Windows 10 update errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes and Windows 10 update errors: Hi,I have had a computer issue for a while now where my PC completely freezes, often with a buzzing sound coming through my headphones. My computer is coming up on 6 years old and runs Windows 10This occurs usually when playing games but sometimes on the desktop browsing or...
  4. Computer freezes and Windows 10 update errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Computer Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Computer Freezes: Hi, Having problems with Dell XPS8000 running latest Windows 10 randomly freezing, i.e. cursor freezes, Ctrl + Alt + Del does not work. Only option is hardware reboot. Computer will freeze sometimes once a day, sometimes several times a day. I've run memtest86 with 9 passes...
  6. Computer Freezing/Crashing After Windows 10 Update

Computer Freezing/Crashing After Windows 10 Update: So up until mid August my PC has worked completely fine but now for the last few weeks ever since the August 2019 Windows Update my computer has been constantly crashing. At first I would get roughly 5 - 10 blue screens a day before I got fed up and did a rollback on the...
  7. Windows 10 latest update freezes computer

Windows 10 latest update freezes computer: The latest Windows update started installing on my wife's laptop. It is hung up stating that it is "Updating your system (100%)" but that has been going on for two hours. How do I fix this without losing her hard drive?...
  8. Computer freezing when updating windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing when updating windows: Today i just got new windows update and i think its done updating because when i tried to turn off my computer its said update and shut down, i turn it off because i have to go work, when i came back home i turn it on again and it boot normally and as usual there is rotating...
  9. Computer with windows 10 freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer with windows 10 freezes: My computer's screen suddenly freezes to random colours. It was usually grey or dark blue. Some days ago it was fuchsia and then bright green. What is happening? After that, I haven't been able to get it to work, not even for a few minutes. When I power the computer the...
  10. Computer Freezing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Freezing in Windows 10: First of all my english is not very good so i will try to explain my problem simple as i can and sorry if i opened this in wrong section. I updated my pc to Windows 10 nearly two month ago.When i try to play is and Hearts of İron 4 i get strange freezes that will completly...