Windows 10: Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash

Discus and support Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I get the following error screen when trying to install the Win10 update from within Win8.1. [img] I'm thinking it has something to do with how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rschildt, Aug 14, 2015.

1. rschildt Win User

Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash

I get the following error screen when trying to install the Win10 update from within Win8.1.

Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash [​IMG]

I'm thinking it has something to do with how my SSD (480GB) is partitioned? I made sure to have enough room on all partitions, using Partition Wizard Home Edition 9.1, but no luck. Maybe it's something else? Here's a shot of the partition info:

Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash [​IMG]

Any ideas? I tried searching for the error message, but didn't find anything. I found some similar issues with Windows 8.1 (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-ca...ng-windows-8-1) but those didn't help.

:)

rschildt, Aug 14, 2015

2. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup." error message on trying to upgrade.

Original title: WIndows 10 Update Error

When trying to install Windows 10 Pro Version 1511, 10586 update from Windows Update the install fails and I get a screen that tells me:

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup."

I'm not trying to install it on a USB and i'm just trying to install it onto my computer which runs Windows 10.0.10240 Build 10240 currently.

RobertDibbs, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Kirk_Rob Win User
    windows 10 couldn't be installed. You cant install windows on a USB flash drive from setup

I'm trying to install the windows 10 upgrade on my HP Laptop running windows 8.1. It downloaded automatically from windows on the release date. My computer tells me the update is downloaded and ready to be installed but when I attempt the install I keep
    getting the following error: windows
    10 couldn't be installed. You cant install windows on a USB flash drive from setup
    Does anyone know why I'm getting this error? and can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Kirk_Rob, Aug 14, 2015
  4. rschildt Win User

I'm running out of ideas. May be best to try a full reinstall? I tried the update from within Windows with Windows Update and via the Media Creation Tool using the "This PC" option. No dice. I the ran across a thread talking about bios setting for UEFI vs Legacy, and remembered I used Legecy a few months back when I installed XP onto a spare drive. But I confirmed I did reset it to UEFI.

Then noticed my recovery image was gone (winRE.wim), when through the steps to replace it, but still no luck.

I really hope to figure this out. Anyone care to throw out some other ideas?

rschildt, Aug 15, 2015
  5. rschildt Win User
    I think I may have fixed the problem. Win10 is in the middle of installing as I write this. Turned out to be a registry setting that made Windows think I was running Windows-to-Go. Came upon this as I tried a System Repair after getting the RE files installed back on the PC. Anyone else who runs into this check your registry settings:

To change the PortableOperatingSystem registry, follow these steps:

• Open Registry editor (regedit.exe)
    • Locate and then select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    • From the right-side pane double-click on PortableOperatingSystem Dword value
    • Change the value data to 0 (The default value is 1)
    • Close the registry editor
    • Restart the computer.

You can also you the command line option to make the change. Run the below command from an elevated command prompt:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PortableOperatingSystem /t REG_DWORD /d 0

rschildt, Aug 15, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    My system does not have that registry key. Something must have added it on yours at some point.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Update from 8.1 - Thinks I'm trying to install on USB Flash - Similar Threads - Update Thinks I'm

2. try update windows 10 from window 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    try update windows 10 from window 8: Can anyone help? I have tried everything to update the new windows and it still giving me an error. and when trying to download window 10 I got an error code: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000. I tried troubleshoot, but it says everything is fixed. trust me I have done everything and it...
  3. try update windows 10 from window 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    try update windows 10 from window 8: Can anyone help? I have tried everything to update the new windows and it still giving me an error. and when trying to download window 10 I got an error code: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000. I tried troubleshoot, but it says everything is fixed. trust me I have done everything and it...
  4. try update windows 10 from window 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I'm trying to boot into windows 10 with a usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm trying to boot into windows 10 with a usb: Hey I downloaded ubuntu like and idiot and now I'm trying to download windows then delete ubuntu from there the usb works because I tried it on my other computer and it popped up but it doesnt seem to be picked up by my laptop with ubuntu installed idk what to do and help...
  6. trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive

trying to install windows 10 on usb flash drive: so im trying to install win10 using media creation tool , but when i get to about 30% in the verifying stage, it says i dont have enough space. it cant be the usb because ive used multiple with storage all 8gb or higher. any help would be apricated, thanks! submitted by...
  7. I'm trying to install Windows 10 on xp from a flash drive but it's just giving me a...

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on xp from a flash drive but it's just giving me a...: submitted by /u/Antonio_877 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3hnkr/im_trying_to_install_windows_10_on_xp_from_a/
  8. Updating to 1809, Win10 think I'm installing on a USB not SSD. Tried recommended fixes,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating to 1809, Win10 think I'm installing on a USB not SSD. Tried recommended fixes,...: Trying to use Windows Assistant to upgrade from 1803 to 1809. Assistant says I'm trying to install to a USB, when I have an SSD. Figuring I wasn't the only one, I did some searching, found the recommendations to set the boot partition to active in Disk Management. That...
  9. windows 10 update USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA70&MI_00\8&362deb4f&1&0000

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 update USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA70&MI_00\8&362deb4f&1&0000: hi my windows 10 recently upgraded itself now my amateur radio will not connect using the drivers recommended by windows and yaesu i get three fauls two in the usb ports using cp210x drivers USB\VID_10C4&PID_EA70&MI_00\8&362deb4f&1&0000 requires further installation....
  10. Microsoft thinks I'm using Windows 8 - email to my MSA

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft thinks I'm using Windows 8 - email to my MSA: I've spared you the images - I'm sure we all know what Windows 8 looked like! Here's the text of the email Microsoft sent me today: Meet the new Windows From: Windows (windows@communication.microsoft.com) 10/07/2015 To: @myMSA Get to know the new Windows...