Windows 10: Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows?

Discus and support Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I went to install the latest Windows 10 Update on my desktop just now and after restarting my computer it launched me into a "Windows Setup" prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GalactusThe Destroyer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows?

So I went to install the latest Windows 10 Update on my desktop just now and after restarting my computer it launched me into a "Windows Setup" prompt where I can select my language, time and currency format, keyboard or input method etc. If I hit next, the other screen says "Install Now"

What the heck is this? Is my desktop actually going to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows or is this just a standard update? Because if this is a standard update, I don't think I've ever seen this before. Usually my computer just auto-updates and reboots once or twice. I think this is a fresh install?

Is there any way I can avoid doing this fresh install? I really don't know why an update is doing this?

:)

GalactusThe Destroyer, Jul 11, 2018
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Jul 11, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows? :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows?

1. Windows 10 update making me reinstall Windows? - Similar Threads - update making reinstall

2. Windows keep rebooting and making me reinstall Windows 10 everytime I shut it down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keep rebooting and making me reinstall Windows 10 everytime I shut it down.: I tried re-installing Windows 10 using a USB with the said OS installed in it. It was successfully installed, and I removed the USB and thought it was done. However, when I shut down the device, and opened it again, it doesn't make me proceed with using my Windows 10 and...
  3. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 makes me crazy: I used to print greeting cards of my own design from templates I set up in Word. They printed fine in Windows 7. But, on my "new" computer with Windows 10, no matter what settings I use, the pictures on the front of the cards partially print in the center at the top of the...
  4. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 makes me crazy: I used to print greeting cards of my own design from templates I set up in Word. They printed fine in Windows 7. But, on my "new" computer with Windows 10, no matter what settings I use, the pictures on the front of the cards partially print in the center at the top of the...
  5. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Windows updates are making me sick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates are making me sick: So Windows 10 is great and stuff but during updates and "silent" updates my pc is becoming insanely slow. I can't use browser, steam, office. And then I have to wait for 10-30 minutes because suprise-suprise dear Microsoft, not everyone has ssd. So i'm just asking: is there...
  7. Computer keeps making me reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer keeps making me reinstall Windows: So my computer has been screwing with me. I just recently got a new motherboard and cpu because I wanted to upgrade some parts and performance. I got everything installed fine and booted up my computer. I wanted to reinstall windows after this installation so I could get like...
  8. How to make windows 10 to boot or reinstall windows 10

How to make windows 10 to boot or reinstall windows 10: I am having dual boot laptop consisting of windows 8.1 and windows 10. Last month windows 10 stopped booting. First it scanned disk D in which windows 10 is installed and even after that it failed to boot. It says some file is missing. I tried to boot from USB but to no...
  9. How to make windows to boot or reinstall windows 10

How to make windows to boot or reinstall windows 10: I am having dual boot laptop consisting of windows 8.1 and windows 10. Last month windows 10 stopped booting. First it scanned disk D in which windows 10 is installed and even after that it failed to boot. It says some file is missing. I tried to boot from USB but to no...
  10. Windows 10 is making me sick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is making me sick: I currently have a Dell inspiron n4010 it came brand new with windows 7 installed. I upgraded it to windows 10 back in dec 2018 then updated it in april. Didnt used it again until this week. The wifi option is gone the driver Is missing on the listed drivers it only comes up...