Windows 10: Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off?

Discus and support Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, earlier today (after having been gone for the last week on a trip) I installed a update for my Windows 10 computer. After the update (and it seemed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cBselfmonkey, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off?

So, earlier today (after having been gone for the last week on a trip) I installed a update for my Windows 10 computer. After the update (and it seemed like a doosy) the system worked fine for about 5-10 minutes and so I set about doing the usual disk cleanup. During this though Windows Defender turned itself off. Attempts to open the program either result in a window that just reads that the app is 'turned off' and isn't monitoring the computer. Following the tabs on the 'action center' pull out seem to open up the Defender tab properly and allows me to turn it on...but then it turns itself off again after a couple of seconds.

I'm not currently running any other kind of virus scan/spyware protection software on the machine atm. Kinda lost as to what happened here or how to fix it. Aside from just installing new anti-virus software.

Thoughts?

:)

cBselfmonkey, Nov 29, 2015

2. Windows Defender error 80070422

Original title: 80070422 for windows 10

Cannot turn on windows defender after updating to Windows 10.

Have tried to go to 'services.msd' and turn on Windows defender manually, but the icon of "turn on" is grey (cannot choose this option). Please help.

景年幾時, Nov 29, 2015
  3. jojo1xf Win User
    Cannot update Windows 10

I cannot update windows 10 because of windows defender (which isn't turned on) but I can't turn defender on... anyone having this type of problem?

jojo1xf, Nov 29, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off?

Hi cBselfmonkey and welcome to Tenforums.
    Have look here and see if this helps:

Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Nov 29, 2015
  5. cBselfmonkey, Nov 29, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Are you not able to try Option #1?

Perhaps you could try sfc /scannow, to see if there are any corrupt system files which might be repaired.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Keep in mind, you may need to run it at least 3 times, rebooting in-between each run. Sometimes it needs to fix some before it can fix others.

simrick, Nov 29, 2015
  7. KatoKid82 Win User
    My computer just updated and is doing the same thing as well. The SFC check came back with is all ok. It must be something to do with the update. *Huh

KatoKid82, Nov 29, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Odd. Please be sure both of you report this through the Windows Feedback App in your system. Search for it first, to see if many others are reporting the same issue.

simrick, Nov 30, 2015
  9. Same problem with cBselfmonkey :/

neophytosv, Dec 3, 2015
  10. Borg 386 Win User
    Looks like the same thing a lot of people are encountering since the last update. There have a few other post relating to this with the same problem, Defender not staying on/running. For most people, doing a refresh or repair install solved the problem.

Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Dec 3, 2015
  11. graemes77 Win User
    I'm having the same problem, I've scanned my system several times, restarted, etc., to no avail.
    Is there any answer to this issue beyond the obvious things we've already tried? I'm going to have to download a 3rd part app soon, as I don't want my PC to remain unprotected.

Thanks for any new info from anyone.

graemes77, Jan 23, 2016
  12. graemes77 Win User
    P.S. when I look at the Defender status from Setting>>Security&Update, the switch shows Defender is in "On" position, but unable to toggle the switch:

Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off? [​IMG]

graemes77, Jan 23, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Give this a try................................

Right click at Start > Run > type services.msc > OK > scroll down to Windows defender service >
    under Status ............................... it should say Running
    under Startup type................... it should say Automatic
    If it does not say that, RIGHT click at WD Service > Properties >
    at Startup type, is the box greyed out ? If not, click the pointer and select Automatic
    at Service Status, are the boxes greyed out ? If not, click Start
    > OK and exit.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update turning Windows Defender off? - Similar Threads - update turning Defender

2. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  3. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  4. windows defender turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender turned off: my windows defender got completly turned off by a virus and i need help turning it back on[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turned-off/1ace7038-f611-4e3d-a190-a6a133ce76df
  5. Windows Defender turning off.

Windows Defender turning off.: I have Malwarebytes Premium and I use Windows Defender as a primary scanner, but whenever i update or restart, it turns itself off and i have to turn it back on. Is this normal or something?...
  6. turning off windows defender

turning off windows defender: [ATTACH]i need help because i'm not sure,if i turned off my windows defender will these threats comeback and be allowed? the other 3 at the top are removed or restored so please help....
  7. Turn off auto updates for Windows Defender

Turn off auto updates for Windows Defender: I'm using win10 pro 1803. How to turn off auto updates for Windows Defender ? Thanks. 139783
  8. Windows Defender will not turn off

Windows Defender will not turn off: I see in forums everywhere that when third party anti-malware software is installed and run that Windows Defender turns itself off. But it doesn't with Malware Bytes. Why not? How can I permanently disable Defender while Malware Bytes is installed? Thanks in advance!...
  9. window defender turned off

window defender turned off: my window defender on win 10 pro is turned off and i am unable to turn on. system asks to turn on connect network administrator. and defender is turned off due to group policy etc....
  10. Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows Security is built-in to Windows 10 and includes an antirvirus program called Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Defender Antivirus...