Windows 10: Windows 10 (updates) affecting work

Discus and support Windows 10 (updates) affecting work in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; As a graphic artist and 3D animator I often have to leave my pc on to render sequences overnight. Windows 10, "in all its wisdom", frequently reboots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by enridem, Jan 4, 2018.

1. enridem Win User

Windows 10 (updates) affecting work

As a graphic artist and 3D animator I often have to leave my pc on to render sequences overnight.
    Windows 10, "in all its wisdom", frequently reboots my machine to install updates against my better wishes.
    Last night it rebooted during a particularly important render which was for a client proposal today.
    In the end I had to explain and beg for forgiveness for wasting my client's time as I couldn't complete the render in time.

I know there are other posts on this forum addressing issues related to Windows updates but so far nothing is particularly feasible for the average non-tech-savvy individual.
    Is there no way to make Microsoft aware of how this system is affecting productivity?

I'm sure other's are sharing my frustration.

:)

enridem, Jan 4, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Window 10 updates affecting Simply Accounting

I'm not sure anyone knows what database you're speaking of and how it might be different from other databases you might have.

BulldogXX, Jan 4, 2018
  3. JSC1947 Win User
    Window 10 updates affecting Simply Accounting

Since an update to Windows 10 on May 15, 2016 Simply Accounting has been unable to access a data base. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Over 25 hours of tech work has been unsuccessful. The programme has been loaded and unloaded numerous times
    by Simply Accounting technicians.

JSC1947, Jan 4, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Reboots should be preventable if you specify 'Active Hours' appropriately in Settings.

That is a GUI feature which has been available to all for the last few builds, and well reported in articles about Windows features.

As your PC is key to your work, I can absolutely understand your frustration; if you have a Pro license, you have a lot more control of updates via Group Policy (delay,defer, set to Notify only...).

Some have found it possible to set updates to Notify only (i.e. you have to approve their download) with Home editions (see e.g. Winaero's free tweaker for a convenient way to to this) - others have struggled to get that to work.

Disabling updates altogether cannot be recommended - indeed MS has made this more technically difficult with build 1709.

I also see this:

Windows 10 (updates) affecting work [​IMG]

- I don't know if that's available in Home editions.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2018
  5. roy111 Win User
    With active hours you can only delay updates for some hours so it eventually will update during the day, the option you show in your picture is greyed out so NOT USABLE, i have win 10 pro and it is greyed out too.
    For a work that need to run overnight maybe the best option is "Suspend Updates" (translated) it is not clear if this will work, if it will work only for quality updates, not security etc. etc. etc. of course we are talking win 10 pro.

About the quite obvios drill "updates are for your security ... only d...b people do not update ..." i can surely say for me, but for many people
    as well: no one here is willing not to update at all but only to have an easy and clear way to control when updates will be done.

roy111, Jan 4, 2018
  6. I got that screen yesterday and assumed that setting "Schedule a Time" from On to Off meant that it would just notify me at some point in the future to do the restart.

Little did I know that it actually meant it would automatically schedule it for an hour in the future with no way to delay or reschedule.

PolarNettles, Jan 4, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    As you have Pro please explore the Group Policy Editor (Winaero's free tweaker also provides 'Notify'):

dalchina, Jan 4, 2018
  8. enridem Win User

Thanks you for the feedback guys. Dalchina, I will look into your suggestion and see if it works for me.
    I just wish Microsoft would see how invasive and disruptive some of these processes are.
    They should give the user a bit more control...especially when you use a pc for work.

enridem, Jan 4, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    It is quite possible to have control with Pro - just not obvious how to achieve it.

With updates set to notify, and Active Hours configured I've never had an unexpected restart, and can download updates when I start them downloading. Further, you can defer upgrades for up to 365 days.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-or-registry-s

dalchina, Jan 4, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    That option is only available (in Home or Pro) once an update has been downloaded, but before it has had the restart.

As you have Pro, you can pause all updates....

*Arrow Turn On or Off Pause Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10

...or defer cumulative updates and other Quality Updates for up to 30 days, or Features Updates for up to 365 days.

*Arrow Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

11. roy111 Win User
    Didn't know that, thanks!

roy111, Jan 4, 2018
  12. roy111 Win User
    That's the point of my post, it seems overcomplicated for no reason, that's it.

roy111, Jan 4, 2018
  13. Superfly Win User

I gave up on windows update since Win 8 days... and if the be-all-and-end-all is security updates, using firewall to block everything (including WU) and control what does through, was my answer - look into TinyWall.

Oh forgot to add.. install cumulative updates from MS catalog when released ...

Superfly, Jan 4, 2018
  14. Exactly, I don't think anyone here is claiming they NEVER want to update, the main issue is that Windows 10 is so DISRUPTIVE
    and INVASIVE when it comes to how it handles them it causes many issues, and user DISSATISFACTION that could be easily avoided if we could get back SOME control.

In my case it's the super slow internet connection I have 768/128k DSL!

Even when I have active hours set in motion those updates STILL download on my connection and make it almost IMPOSSIBLE to use the internet for any thing else for many hours on end. This is inexcusable and outrageous. If I had the ability to control the hours of WU downloads it would be the biggest help possible.

legacy7955, Jan 5, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    You do. Setting a metered connection will prevent them downloading until you allow them to.

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Thema:

1. Windows 10 (updates) affecting work - Similar Threads - updates affecting

2. All browsers slow after update, not affecting VM.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All browsers slow after update, not affecting VM.: Ever since the most recent update to Windows I've been experiencing extremely slow page load times on Chrome, Firefox and Edge. What I find most interesting is that when I load my Linux VM on the same Windows machine, Firefox in the VM loads at normal speeds,I've cleared my...
  3. All browsers slow after update, not affecting VM.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All browsers slow after update, not affecting VM.: Ever since the most recent update to Windows I've been experiencing extremely slow page load times on Chrome, Firefox and Edge. What I find most interesting is that when I load my Linux VM on the same Windows machine, Firefox in the VM loads at normal speeds,I've cleared my...
  4. Windows 10 fails to update, affecting ability to connect to secure wi-fi

Windows 10 fails to update, affecting ability to connect to secure wi-fi: Hello, I have not been able to update my computer. Currently I get the error code: 0x800700c, but I have previously gotten the error code: 0x800f081fThe updates that will not work include: KB5013624, KB5017022, KB5033052. I've tried to troubleshoot this many times, but I...
  5. Windows 10 fails to update, affecting ability to connect to secure wi-fi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 fails to update, affecting ability to connect to secure wi-fi: Hello, I have not been able to update my computer. Currently I get the error code: 0x800700c, but I have previously gotten the error code: 0x800f081fThe updates that will not work include: KB5013624, KB5017022, KB5033052. I've tried to troubleshoot this many times, but I...
  6. Windows 10 fails to update, affecting ability to connect to secure wi-fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 10 Update Affecting My Upload Speed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Affecting My Upload Speed??: Hi, I've been streaming quiet a lot lately; it's been going quiet well till this. Ever since I updated Windows 10, my upload speed tend to drop down quiet a ton. I have no clue what it is and it's kind of stressing me out. My ISP says that it's fine on both sides. So a help...
  8. Windows 10 Update Affecting My Upload Speed??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update Affecting My Upload Speed??: Hi, I've been streaming quiet a lot lately; it's been going quiet well till this. Ever since I updated Windows 10, my upload speed tend to drop down quiet a ton. I have no clue what it is and it's kind of stressing me out. My ISP says that it's fine on both sides. So a help...
  9. Windows 10 Update Affecting My Upload Speed??

10. Is Game Bar affected by Windows updates?

Is Game Bar affected by Windows updates?: A couple days ago to a week, the Game Bar was not opening or responding when trying to capture clips of gameplay, nor was it opening when trying to open the application. I have hit the Windows Key + Alt + G to save a capture, but the notification hasn't popped up on my...