Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying to upgrade from Windows Update, but for some reason it won't work, so I thought I can use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ammar18, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ammar18 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

Hello,
    I have been trying to upgrade from Windows Update, but for some reason it won't work, so I thought I can use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant.

Once the "Updating to Windows 10" section is complete, it will open a Windows 10 Setup window. It asks for product key. I don't have it since I'm trying to upgrade and think that it will use the digital license.

Running genuine Windows 10, and I disabled the antivirus.

I appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.

:)

ammar18, Aug 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Asking for Product Key!?

There might still be a small window of opportunity, its worth a try.

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at various percentages: 0%, 32%, 62%, 87%, 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 99% disconnect from the Internet LAN
    (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.

If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

How to download official
    Windows 10 ISO files

How to: upgrade
    from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

If setup did not complete on time and you experience problems activating. Contact Chat support after the Windows 10 installation is complete. Click Start > All Apps > Contact Support. Explain your situation to the chat agent.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Asking for Product Key!?

Click Do this later if prompted for a product key.

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key [​IMG]

If setup did not complete on time and you experience problems activating. Contact Chat support after the Windows 10 installation is complete. Click Start > All Apps > Contact Support. Explain your situation to the chat agent.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Aug 13, 2016
  4. sn00ker Win User

Hi ... Has this PC ever been activated by windows 10 prior to July 29 of this year ? And what's the original operating system ?

sn00ker, Aug 13, 2016
  5. ammar18 Win User
    Of course, I activated my Windows 10 even before 2016.

Original OS (pre-installed) is Windows 8, then I upgrade it to Windows 8.1, then Windows 10.

ammar18, Aug 13, 2016
  6. sn00ker Win User
    Ok, then below your windows keys screen you should see an option don't having keys, if you click that follow by next it should continue to install Windows ... like the pic below

sn00ker, Aug 13, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    Usually, you get asked for a key when the upgrade version you have downloaded does not match the installed version of Win 10. That may include things like single language, bitness, etc.

bobkn, Aug 13, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

@ammar18,

If you run winver and post the results here, and open a command prompt (admin) [it's an option if you right click on the start icon] and run:
    slmgr /dlv

and post those results here, we can help you more. Examples:

winver:

slmgr /dlv:

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2016
  9. ammar18 Win User
    This is all I got.

ammar18, Aug 13, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    So make sure that you are attempting to upgrade to the Home Single Language Edition. The "about" system settings screen will tell you if it is 32-bits or 64-bits (operating system):

Using the media creation tool, you want the matching 32-bit or 64-bit Single Language Edition:

From the Windows 10 ISO download site, it's just listed as Single Language Edition:

Doing an upgrade to the correct edition Anniversary Update should not ask for a product key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2016
  11. ammar18 Win User
    I'll try the ISO solution...

MCT somehow won't start, even with admin, compatibility set to Windows 8.

EDIT : Tried to fix my windows image (dism command), and MCT works! It's now downloading Windows 10. Thank you for all your help *Smile

ammar18, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key - Similar Threads - Upgrade Assistant asking

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key: Hello, I have recently upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10, And I am facing problems like my windows isn't activated can someone please help me. I can't personalise my desktop. Please help me...…. I've opened up the same Question but couldn't replay to that. Please...
  6. Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Windows8.1 To Windows 10. Asking Me Product Key: Hello, I have recently upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10, And I am facing problems like my windows isn't activated can someone please help me. I can't personalise my desktop. Please help me...…....
  7. I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10

I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two years ago. I don't remember whether I was given a product key during the upgrade. A month ago, I had the blue screen problem and no matter how I tried, the problem could not be resolved. So I reinstalled my purchased Windows 7....
  8. win 10 upgrade asking for product key

win 10 upgrade asking for product key: Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue. I now have permission to upgrade the original work...
  9. Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key

Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key: I was going to install Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool but I chose the second option, 'Create installation media for another PC' thinking it could be helpful in the future. I was able to successfully download it then tried installing it right after that. There came...
  10. windows 10 upgrade asking for product key

windows 10 upgrade asking for product key: i have downloaded the windows 10(home x64) ISO file and made a USB flash device using it,and now whenever i try to upgrade my LAPTOP(it came with original windows pre-installed) it asks for a product key and there is no "skip" option available all i see is next and back...