Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade failure

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade failure in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - I had a working PC with Windows 8.1. I set it to download Windows 10 overnight, and the next morning the PC is unresponsive. It seems to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xdzgor, Jun 15, 2016.

1. xdzgor Win User

Windows 10 upgrade failure

Hi - I had a working PC with Windows 8.1. I set it to download Windows 10 overnight, and the next morning the PC is unresponsive. It seems to have tried to install Windows 10, even though I said only download. Now I can't boot, and get "inaccessible boot device". What is this? I can't even reset back to the "previous build". Help :-(

:)

xdzgor, Jun 15, 2016
  2. DDA_999 Win User

Errors: "0x8024200d", "0xc1420127", "0x80131501" while installing Windows 10 Pro, version 1511.

Automatic update tried to update Windows 10 so many times with different error codes as below

"Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586.'

"Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xc1420127: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586."

"Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586."

"Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200d: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586."

and so on and so on on on more attempts.

The latest error is

"Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80131501: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586."

I have tried researching all the internet responses to this problem but no solution works.

I am really frustrated now and would appreciate some HELP.

Dom

Original title: Windows Update 1511,10586

DDA_999, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 15, 2016
  4. xdzgor Win User

I found out that I had to go into the BIOS and set the "SATA Mode Selection" to "IDE Mode". The original "AHCI Mode" does not work with Windows 10. (Windows 10 had also reset the BIOS clock to 2014 - odd).
    Anyway, I'm happy it seems to working now. I've upgraded several machines without issue, so I was a bit worried for a while there Windows 10 upgrade failure :)

xdzgor, Jun 15, 2016
  5. Glad you got it sorted

hTconeM9user, Jun 15, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There's two things wrong here - first, AHCI mode is the preferred mode for Windows 10 to operate in, not IDE. Second, Windows will not change the disk controller mode and it will upgrade to whatever mode was set before - if it was set to AHCI mode in the previous Windows, it would stay AHCI mode after the upgrade and work the way it is supposed to. If it was set to IDE mode in the previous Windows, it would stay IDE mode after the upgrade and work the way it is supposed to. Changing the disk controller mode from AHCI to IDE or IDE to AHCI requires Windows to be restarted in safe mode after the change is made in bios, and then restarted in normal mode to pick up the change.

Also, the upgrade to Windows 10 would not have changed the clock to 2014.

What I suspect happened is the CMOS battery is weak or dead and the bios reset itself to defaults during an interruption in power and if it were me, I would replace it.

I would also change the disk controller mode to AHCI. Before changing the setting in bios, the user needs to set the reboot to be into safe mode using MSCONFIG and the user also needs to shut down the computer by holding down the shift key when clicking shutdown from the power icon to ensure the computer shuts down fully and not just in the "fast startup" mode. Then turn on the computer, press the key to enter bios setup, change to AHCI, let it boot into safe mode. Go back to MSCONFIG and set it boot normally then reboot.

NavyLCDR, Jun 16, 2016
  7. xdzgor Win User
    OK - thanks for your comments. Sounds very plausible, so I'll check the battery. If it is the battery, it's incredibly bad luck it died just when I was installing Windows 10.

xdzgor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade failure - Similar Threads - upgrade failure

2. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  3. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....
  4. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need help with upgrading to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with upgrading to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on...: Trying to upgrade to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on SECOND_BOOT phase during SYSPREP_RESPECIALIZE operation. Uninstalled software, ran several error checks, performed a clean boot, disabled network and SD card reader through BIOS, the error...
  6. Need help with upgrading to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on...

Need help with upgrading to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on...: Trying to upgrade to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on SECOND_BOOT phase during SYSPREP_RESPECIALIZE operation. Uninstalled software, ran several error checks, performed a clean boot, disabled network and SD card reader through BIOS, the error...
  7. Need help with upgrading to Windows 11. Consistently receiving 0x40021 error, failure on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows Upgrade failures from SCCM deployment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade failures from SCCM deployment: I'm trying to deploy a Windows 11 upgrade to some of our older Windows 10 machines that meet the minimum requirements but am having problems with deploying to my initial test machine. When the Task Sequence progress is shown, the installation keeps hanging at 14%. Which log...
  9. Windows Upgrade failures from SCCM deployment

Windows Upgrade failures from SCCM deployment: I'm trying to deploy a Windows 11 upgrade to some of our older Windows 10 machines that meet the minimum requirements but am having problems with deploying to my initial test machine. When the Task Sequence progress is shown, the installation keeps hanging at 14%. Which log...
  10. Failure upgrading to Windows 11: BSOD INVALID DATA ACCESS TRAP, error code 0xc1900101 - 0x30018

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure upgrading to Windows 11: BSOD INVALID DATA ACCESS TRAP, error code 0xc1900101 - 0x30018: I tried several times to upgrade an Acer Aspire F5-573G from Win 10 to Win 11. Every time it seems, that Windows 11 was successfully installed, but after 2 reboots the process stops at 48% when applying updates: BSOD "INVALID DATA ACCESS TRAP". Then a rollback to Windows 10...