Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm afraid if all else fails, a hammer might be required *chuckle Or you can gift me the lap top instead of destroying it, because I'm a good guy,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Anak, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

I'm afraid if all else fails, a hammer might be required *chuckle

Or you can gift me the lap top instead of destroying it, because I'm a good guy, and you're a good guy, and you'll give me a lap top cuz we bros! *Biggrin

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  2. Anak Win User

Thanks Navy, it's on the to-do list.

Real, I've tried your 5 plus at least 10 other combinations, nothing works.
    From my original post (OP):
    Please read my thread from the beginning, you're suggesting things that I've already tried.

3. Oups, sorry about that. I was just replying, it's true, I didn't read the rest of the thread.

Well the things I mentioned is what I'd do, and if nothing worked I'd come to a forum and ask, and while waiting for replies I'd go and Google it to death.

Good luck man. If anything comes to mind I'll be sure to post it here.

RealJustMe, Oct 8, 2017
  4. Anak Win User

Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

Not a problem, I do appreciate the effort. Matter of fact I'm also guilty of glossing over a thread before replying *Redface , I guess we all have at one time or another. If you do find anything let me know.

To-do List:
    • Reset ram, test.
    • Disconnect HDD, test.
    • Run Kyhi's boot disk, test.
    I'll be out for awhile, might get back by later this afternoon/evening.

5. lx07 Win User
    May as well add "plug in external monitor" to your list if you have one (or a HDMI cable to plug into your TV).

If you shutdown, pull out the disk and restart you should see something displayed (BIOS screen). If there isn't anything an external monitor would rule out your screen breaking exactly at the same time you did an upgrade. Unlikely but worth a check.

A black screen on upgrade could well be display drivers (there have been lots of threads about this) but if you pull the disk you rule that out at least.

6. Anak Win User
    Good tip lx07, I had a little time this morning and hooked up my extra monitor thinking that I'd try that before I started messing with the ram and hdd, restarted the machine but didn't see anything on the display. I will leave it connected while I'm checking the ram and especially as you mentioned, the hdd.

Question; Does a computer know to automatically switch display outputs when an external display is plugged in or is there a setting within the OS that needs to be changed?
    The machine does have an F4 button that is used for toggling to either its display or an external, but tapping or holding made no difference.

Life takes precedence and I wasn't able to run the to-do list yesterday but maybe some progress updates late this evening.

7. lx07 Win User
    I don't know if it varies by make/model but both my Apple MacBook and Thinkpad X201 immediately output to external screen if cable is attached without doing anything in OS.

8. DavidY Win User

Have you tried the idea of leaning on the power button when it's running , and keep the button pushed for several seconds - perhaps 10-15 seconds until you hear an indignant click or noise suggesting it's powered down. Don't let go when the screen blanks and it appears to be shutting down - keep going until it clicks off.

DavidY, Oct 9, 2017
  9. Anak Win User
    Thanks lx07. As mentioned earlier before checking the ram or hdd I connected the external monitor and had no luck with it, it has a power light that runs yellow (power on - stand-by) and turns green when it's displaying a signal from a computer.

• Checking RAM card: External display connected. Re-set RAM in original slot, no affect. Set RAM in open slot, no response on monitor.
    • Checking HDD: External display connected. Pulled HDD powered up, power button and indicator light up for 5/6sec. then go out, no response on monitor.
    • I tapped and or held in separate power cycles the F4 internal or external monitor switch button and the brightness button while doing these checks, no response on monitor.
    • I have Kyhi's ISO and have to burn then test it, probably tomorrow.
    The power button on this machine works this way:
    • To power down, press and hold for approx. 4sec. until light goes out, you can feel the HDD spin down, there is a barely audible click and the power light goes out.
    • To power up: press and release power button, button and power indicator immediately light up. Activity light starts to blink.
    • I can not tell when the screen blanks because I do not have a signal to the monitor; There is no display of any kind from either the BIOS start or the OS on the monitor, that's why I'm trying an external monitor.
    If I heard an indignant click or noise I'd be thinking the HDD was about to crash.

Opinions:
    I'm thinking; What if I mount the HDD in my win7 or XP box? It is a win8 drive halfway? through a 10 upgrade. Would that screw up my other machines?

Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck - Similar Threads - upgrade Stuck

2. After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond!!: After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond without pressing forced reset button in my PC.The issue happens even when the only applications opened are1-Chrome with 2-3 tabs2-Citrix VDI3-Valorant game4-Wallpaper engine in backgroundWhere...
  3. After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond!!: After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond without pressing forced reset button in my PC.The issue happens even when the only applications opened are1-Chrome with 2-3 tabs2-Citrix VDI3-Valorant game4-Wallpaper engine in backgroundWhere...
  4. After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond: After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond without pressing forced reset button in my PC.The issue happens even when the only applications opened are 1-Chrome with 2-3 tabs2-Citrix VDI3-Valorant game4-Wallpaper engine in...
  5. After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond

After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond: After upgrading my windows 10 to 11, it sometimes get stuck and then do not respond without pressing forced reset button in my PC.The issue happens even when the only applications opened are 1-Chrome with 2-3 tabs2-Citrix VDI3-Valorant game4-Wallpaper engine in...
  6. Upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version stuck at black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version stuck at black screen: I cannot upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version. The installation always stuck at a black screen with only the mouse cursor, after a long while the system will restart and revert back to window 11 home. What did I do wrong?...
  7. Upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version stuck at black screen

Upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version stuck at black screen: I cannot upgrade to window 11 pro from the home version. The installation always stuck at a black screen with only the mouse cursor, after a long while the system will restart and revert back to window 11 home. What did I do wrong?...
  8. Upgrade proccess stuck at %0 for too long. Is it normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade proccess stuck at %0 for too long. Is it normal?: I have a Windows 11 Home Edition installed on my laptop but it is not activated, i bought a Windows 11 Pro Edition key and i used it on change product key section, a menu popped up and i said start, after that another windows popped up saying "Preparing for upgrade" and there...
  9. Upgrade proccess stuck at %0 for too long. Is it normal?

Upgrade proccess stuck at %0 for too long. Is it normal?: I have a Windows 11 Home Edition installed on my laptop but it is not activated, i bought a Windows 11 Pro Edition key and i used it on change product key section, a menu popped up and i said start, after that another windows popped up saying "Preparing for upgrade" and there...
  10. Upgrades to Windows 11 22H2, 23H2 from the WSUS Server do not work stucks in the company

Upgrades to Windows 11 22H2, 23H2 from the WSUS Server do not work stucks in the company: Hi, I am the administrator of the WSUS server in the company, all security patches, cumulative patches, etc. work correctly, and when I approve upgrades to Win11 in the console for example, "Windows 11, version 22H2 x64 2023-11B" or 2023-10B, 23H2-11B, whatever, they are not...